Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
FedCO
King Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby FedCO » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Striker wrote:
FedCO wrote:
Sounds great. Tons of information out there. Its the hidden law enforcement gig. We are like ghosts in the public yet we protect Canadian citizens daily, through inside the institution, outside in the public or on con air transporting inmates around the country. It has its ups and downs but can be a good gig if you put your head in the right place.

I saw what you did there.. :smirk:

Lol!

Prairie_CX
Rookie Member

Postby Prairie_CX » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:03 pm

ccamer23 wrote:Just curious if there are ever opportunities to work overtime or do COI's generally adhere to a strict 40hr week?

At my institution, i worked 90 double time hours alone in July 2013 as a CX1. I guess it depends where you are located... Think it was around $6,000 OT in one month before the dreaded decutions :( There are guys here who did Many more OT hours that month as well.....

imascott
Rookie Member

Postby imascott » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Wow, i think we just got spammed.
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Not just any spam but Japanese spam!!!! Lol
Gaoler

guelph
Rookie Member

Postby guelph » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:48 pm

just wondering how the training at CTP differs from Primary Worker to CO. Is it mostly the same training? Both learn use of force? Both have weapons training?
Love this forum, its been very helpful to me. Thanks.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 pm

guelph wrote:just wondering how the training at CTP differs from Primary Worker to CO. Is it mostly the same training? Both learn use of force? Both have weapons training?
Love this forum, its been very helpful to me. Thanks.

Everything is similar except when cx1 go to firearms training primary workers have 2 weeks of women center training. Learning how to de escalate the situation. There are no firearms in women's facilities sadly. Oc is just starting to hit more posts.

Hype
Rookie Member

Postby Hype » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:30 pm

I searched this thread but did not find an answer so I will ask the members here with time in... Is there a certain amount of time one should have in before going up as a cx2 in a acting position? Or is it based on institutional knowledge and confidence with your abilities to perform the role?

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Hype wrote:I searched this thread but did not find an answer so I will ask the members here with time in... Is there a certain amount of time one should have in before going up as a cx2 in a acting position? Or is it based on institutional knowledge and confidence with your abilities to perform the role?

Real answer put time in before going up acting or becoming a Cx2 . learn what it takes to be a cx1 before being a cx2. Csc answer you could go acting as a cx2 by a year times in. But if you want respect from fellow Co workers you would wait a few years.

Hype
Rookie Member

Postby Hype » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:56 pm

FedCO wrote:
Hype wrote:I searched this thread but did not find an answer so I will ask the members here with time in... Is there a certain amount of time one should have in before going up as a cx2 in a acting position? Or is it based on institutional knowledge and confidence with your abilities to perform the role?

Real answer put time in before going up acting or becoming a Cx2 . learn what it takes to be a cx1 before being a cx2. Csc answer you could go acting as a cx2 by a year times in. But if you want respect from fellow Co workers you would wait a few years.

Thank you! Also is the 2 year deployment commitment, that was part of the new agreement, include any CX staff that have under 2 years served at their current institution but where already at an institution before the new contract? Or does that rule only concern recruits from the date of signing?

Nudge
Rookie Member

Postby Nudge » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Hype wrote:
FedCO wrote:

Thank you! Also is the 2 year deployment commitment, that was part of the new agreement, include any CX staff that have under 2 years served at their current institution but where already at an institution before the new contract? Or does that rule only concern recruits from the date of signing?

I would like to know that as well. I recently chatted with a friend of mine who told me that her friend got a transfer from a max to medium after about a year and half.

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Nudge wrote:
Hype wrote:Thank you! Also is the 2 year deployment commitment, that was part of the new agreement, include any CX staff that have under 2 years served at their current institution but where already at an institution before the new contract? Or does that rule only concern recruits from the date of signing?

I would like to know that as well. I recently chatted with a friend of mine who told me that her friend got a transfer from a max to medium after about a year and half.

Now that the contract has been signed, it is suppose to affect anyone who is currently in under 2 years. I have a year and 10 months in and have been told I would have to wait until January 2014 to go anywhere. Which really is no big deal. We had a few that had under 2 years manage to transfer before the signing.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:34 pm

FedCO wrote:

That is the real answer. But in practice, it's another thing. In my case, I was asked to act based on my performance thus far, and also because I was the oldest recruit in the last two years! lol There was a CX2 roster that wasn't getting filled by more experienced officers, and the CM looking after this roster wanted me because at 48, he hoped I had some life experience that the 20 year olds didn't have when it came to emergencies and interaction with the inmates. You're mileage will vary.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 am

FedCO wrote:

I think it also really depends where you are deployed...
Where I work I have seen someone 2 months off CTP get asked to act as a cx2
I acted for 3 months 29 days with a little less than a year and a half in. That is short term acting around here.
CSC says you can write the CX2 test at one year of CORRECTIONAL EXPERIENCE within CSC I assume.
And I found for overtime is more available as a CX1 than a CX2 from my experience. When I acted I only got a few overtime shifts in the summer months too so I missed out on a ton of money! But my first day back as a CX1 I had overtime...
It is all about where you are deployed.
CX

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:22 am

NatoBro wrote:That is the real answer. But in practice, it's another thing. In my case, I was asked to act based on my performance thus far, and also because I was the oldest recruit in the last two years! lol There was a CX2 roster that wasn't getting filled by more experienced officers, and the CM looking after this roster wanted me because at 48, he hoped I had some life experience that the 20 year olds didn't have when it came to emergencies and interaction with the inmates. You're mileage will vary.

Come on now us twenty somes are awesome!! :drinking:
CX