Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Herb Powell

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Herb Powell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Last edited by Herb Powell on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ccamer23
Rookie Member

Postby ccamer23 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Herb Powell wrote:
ccamer23 wrote:Had the psych assessment yesterday..567 true or false questions later... I hope I get the invite for CTP 1, soon :)
Applying in Ontario.

I guess they do things different in Ontario. I'm currently in the process of CTP stage 1 and still haven't taken the psych yet.

Yeah - I noticed you hadn't had your psych yet. You had me wondering.

Herb Powell

Postby Herb Powell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Last edited by Herb Powell on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

folken
Rookie Member

Postby folken » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Herb Powell wrote:
ccamer23 wrote:Had the psych assessment yesterday..567 true or false questions later... I hope I get the invite for CTP 1, soon :)
Applying in Ontario.

I guess they do things different in Ontario. I'm currently in the process of CTP stage 1 and still haven't taken the psych yet.

I am applying from ontario too.
I was at the psyc yesterday as well. I started my CTP Stage 1 3 weeks ago. Ive had my medical already to.

Leafsgirl
Rookie Member

Postby Leafsgirl » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 pm

I was also at the Psych test yesterday. I'm playing phone tag with the doctor's office to make my appointment for my physical. I haven't started Stage 1 at all.

I spoke with a guy yesterday who was about 16 hours into Stage 1, but also had a few friends get phased out after the psych test, so he's really hoping pass!
Applied CSC: May 2013
Graduated CTP: June 2014

Nudge
Rookie Member

Postby Nudge » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:38 am

Leafsgirl wrote:I was also at the Psych test yesterday. I'm playing phone tag with the doctor's office to make my appointment for my physical. I haven't started Stage 1 at all.

I spoke with a guy yesterday who was about 16 hours into Stage 1, but also had a few friends get phased out after the psych test, so he's really hoping pass!

What do you mean physical? There is no physical test. Unless you mean medical...

Also, a few people being phased out after psych? When I was in (Ottawa office), we were about 12... I was about 5th to be called in the office by the psychologist when they had results. I assume the 4 before me all passed (but I could be totally wrong) as none had interviews with them, I passed; I assume it's the same for the ones after me.

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:08 am

adele h wrote:If you do not have constructive advice you should not be posting. CSC are NOT searching for people who are not team players!

Actually, the advice I gave you was one of the first things given to me when I showed up as a potential recruit on these forums. And it's handy advice. Get used to it. During Stage 1 and 2, it's all you trying to complete tasks and searching for answers. On the job, there will be many cases where again, you are not getting any help from others and need to find some info on your own. Perfect example is the CX2 competition I just wrote (and passed :alright: ). Very little details were given on what we should study on. So it was me checking things out on the infonet at work and the CSC website at home.

We try not to re-hash things on this forum as it makes it that much larger and things harder to find if it's already been talked about. Nothing against you, but that's how we roll around here. :)
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

Leafsgirl
Rookie Member

Postby Leafsgirl » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Nudge wrote:
Leafsgirl wrote:I was also at the Psych test yesterday. I'm playing phone tag with the doctor's office to make my appointment for my physical. I haven't started Stage 1 at all.

What do you mean physical? There is no physical test. Unless you mean medical...

Also, a few people being phased out after psych? When I was in (Ottawa office), we were about 12... I was about 5th to be called in the office by the psychologist when they had results. I assume the 4 before me all passed (but I could be totally wrong) as none had interviews with them, I passed; I assume it's the same for the ones after me.

Yes, I meant Medical, sorry. I was thinking physical as in - Full Physical type of doctor's appointment. Medical would be correct.

Phased out as in Failing the psych, and they had already started stage 1 before even taking the psych test. If he doesn't pass, then he's spent 16 hours on stage 1 for nothing.
Applied CSC: May 2013
Graduated CTP: June 2014

uabm
Rookie Member

Postby uabm » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:43 am

For Ontario, when you send in your application, are these the basic requirements you need to meet prior to being contacted for the WCPT and GCT tests:

Mandatory
You must meet the following pre-requirements to apply:
• Be a minimum of 18 years age
• Able to provide proof of eligibility to work in Canada
• Possess oral French skills at the Advanced level (for bilingual positions)
• Be currently certified and/or able to be certified by first day of employment in Emergency First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Heartsaver (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator(AED)
• Must be able to work rotating shifts, including days, afternoon and nights, and on weekends and statutory holidays

or do you need to complete the FITCO test as well before you can even apply? Also, the pre-employment questionnaire is the set of questions they ask you on the OPS website before you can submit your application?

Herb Powell

Postby Herb Powell » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:57 am

Last edited by Herb Powell on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snow319
Rookie Member

Postby snow319 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 pm

For those in the process if you do your psyc testing and get interviewed don't sweat it. I got interviewed and passed. I also did the same testing for special operations in the CF and passed with an interview so don't sweat it if you get called in for one doesn't mean anything.

adele h
Rookie Member

Postby adele h » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 am

I also finished my interview and within a couple hours was told to go to my medical, which was yesterday, but haven't had any actual confirmation that I was successful with the interview.. I've read a couple posts and a few others have claimed that they never did receive any actual confirmation that they had passed.. I did the psych yesterday as well... good luck I'm sure you were successful :)

Herb Powell

Postby Herb Powell » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Last edited by Herb Powell on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wetcoast Man
Rookie Member

Postby Wetcoast Man » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Just had our exams today here in Vancouver, I felt good about 2 out of the 3 exams... sure hope I passed!!
There were a lot of applicants applying, I was surprised!

adele h
Rookie Member

Postby adele h » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:32 pm

SOo I ve looked through a ton of threads.. I ve been invited to start stage 1 training and have been given 4 weeks to complete it.. I work full time in a law firm and am concerned about how many hrs are involved.. I have no issue dedicating weekends and all evenings after wrk. But am hoping that that is plenty of time to complete everything. Thanks!