Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
the_don
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:15 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby the_don » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Woohoo! Received my offer and invitation to Stage 2 and 3 of CTP! Saskatoon bound for September 11th for Stage 3 and will be posted at Stony Mountain upon completion.
Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.

Fides
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:29 pm
Location: Alberta
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Fides » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:30 am

the_don wrote:Woohoo! Received my offer and invitation to Stage 2 and 3 of CTP! Saskatoon bound for September 11th for Stage 3 and will be posted at Stony Mountain upon completion.

Congrats, work hard.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

hopingwaitingwanting
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby hopingwaitingwanting » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:44 pm

What does the medical entail? I've heard through the grapevine there is a general phycial exam and a hearing test. Are there any other tests?

I have been successful in my interview and I am just waiting on the next step which is im guessing the medical.

Any help you guys can offer would be great!

Thanks

KG15
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby KG15 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:21 am

NatoBro wrote:
KG15 wrote:Just a quick question to those out there that could maybe help me out.
I received an email asking if I would consider the Prairies/Pacific region now as I was only in the Ontario pool. I have completed stage 1 of CTP back in Jan so I would think that if I do accept it, it could be a fast process??
I guess my question is - where is the best place to live/go?? Having NEVER been out west and not knowing anyone that lives out there it is hard to know where I should be considering (ie: best cost of living, entertainment etc). Any help would be great as I have to let them know by Aug 6th and really want to get input from others that are possibly out west!! THANKS :D


If you pick the Prairies, you could end up in either MB, SK or AB. I had a few friends from Ontario living here in AB, so at least I had some heads up info. But it really depends on what institution you get posted to. I like it so far out here, people at home try to make it sound like it's uber expensive to live, but it's not all bad. Housing can be pricey depending on location, but Ontario can be like that as well.


Thank you to everyone for the feedback.
I have been doing research and you are right - housing is close to what it is here. I have been looking at locations and think that Bowden/Innisfail AB, Edmonton, AB or Stony Mountain MB may be the choices I go with - unless there is any feed back on these ones.
It is such a huge step - esp when I have no idea what any of these places look like or offer - thank goodness for these forums where we can talk to those living there!!
Thanks again - hopefully will get the call soon :D

KG15
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby KG15 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:27 am

BravoZulu wrote:
KG15 wrote:Just a quick question to those out there that could maybe help me out.
I received an email asking if I would consider the Prairies/Pacific region now as I was only in the Ontario pool. I have completed stage 1 of CTP back in Jan so I would think that if I do accept it, it could be a fast process??
I guess my question is - where is the best place to live/go?? Having NEVER been out west and not knowing anyone that lives out there it is hard to know where I should be considering (ie: best cost of living, entertainment etc). Any help would be great as I have to let them know by Aug 6th and really want to get input from others that are possibly out west!! THANKS :D


If you accept a Pacific/Prairie posting it should be faster. With the jails in Ontario shutting down there are too many CO's already for that region. You may/may not wait a long time for a posting in Ontario.

Obviously I'm in BC, which is expensive and would like to move to the Prairies because acreage is obtainable and I don't mind the cold. A good thing about this region is that you could work at every jail, except William Head and never move to another house as they're all within driving distance of each other. Another good thing about here is there's lots of crown land in the mountains surrounding the Fraser valley for hiking, free camping and shooting guns, if any of those are your thing.

Edited to add- I'm an anomaly for wanting to move East. Most people here believe BC is god's hand crafted paradise and that the prairies have nothing because he was too lazy after making BC to do anything.

BZ


You are right! Even though BC is beautiful - it is just TOO expensive. I dont want to be working to live - esp due to being out there on my own and if I want to fly home once and a while I want to make sure I can :)
Thank you for the feedback - I think that AB or MB are the two that I am looking at right now. Now just a waiting game to hear back from them - the deadline to tell them was Aug 6th - so probably wont hear from them until then at least.
I will keep everyone posted!
:D

User avatar
Whitebrown
Sage Member
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Vancouver
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Whitebrown » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:58 pm

KG15 wrote:You are right! Even though BC is beautiful - it is just TOO expensive. I dont want to be working to live - esp due to being out there on my own and if I want to fly home once and a while I want to make sure I can :)
Thank you for the feedback - I think that AB or MB are the two that I am looking at right now. Now just a waiting game to hear back from them - the deadline to tell them was Aug 6th - so probably wont hear from them until then at least.
I will keep everyone posted!
:D


FWIW, Abbotsford, Mission and Chilliwack are all still reasonably priced, especially with a CX salary. It's not until you get into Langley do the prices really start to jump.

CJ20
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:07 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby CJ20 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Apparently there will be another CX posting coming up soon. Good news for people like me waiting in the pool.

User avatar
NatoBro
Veteran Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby NatoBro » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:48 pm

CJ20 wrote:Apparently there will be another CX posting coming up soon. Good news for people like me waiting in the pool.


There is a PW posting up now. Closes 3 Aug 12.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

darwin
Rookie Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby darwin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:03 am

received an interview invite (for CX) today for later in the month in Kingston.

BUT, I am out of province during that week for orientation with Alberta Corrections.

Is CSC in anyway going to understand and reschedule?

User avatar
NatoBro
Veteran Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby NatoBro » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:49 am

darwin wrote:received an interview invite (for CX) today for later in the month in Kingston.

BUT, I am out of province during that week for orientation with Alberta Corrections.

Is CSC in anyway going to understand and reschedule?


The only way to find out is to get back to the recruiter and explain the situation. I was out of the country when my interview invite showed up in my inbox. Told them what was going on and they rescheduled for when I was home on leave.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

mc7719
Veteran Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: British Columbia
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby mc7719 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:28 pm

After a year in the "pool", my brother recieved an email with the 22-pg pre-employment questionnaire and instructed to fill out to be further considered for a posting in the Pac region. Not sure what step that is since its changed so much since I came in in '06.
CSC

salsun
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby salsun » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:52 pm

NatoBro wrote:
CJ20 wrote:Apparently there will be another CX posting coming up soon. Good news for people like me waiting in the pool.


There is a PW posting up now. Closes 3 Aug 12.


The new posting presents a Pre-Employment Questionnaire which did not exist in previous posting. It also made clear of some of the issues we have discussed.
https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&noBackBtn=true&poster=192499&psrsMode=1

noob01
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:06 am
Location: North York
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby noob01 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 pm

mc7719 wrote:After a year in the "pool", my brother recieved an email with the 22-pg pre-employment questionnaire and instructed to fill out to be further considered for a posting in the Pac region. Not sure what step that is since its changed so much since I came in in '06.


Im trying to remember... Are you put in the pool after medical? A buddy of mine has his medical tomorrow. Already did the interview and Ref check
KCCO

User avatar
PaladinPup
Regular Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:49 pm
Location: Ontario
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby PaladinPup » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 pm

darwin wrote:received an interview invite (for CX) today for later in the month in Kingston.

BUT, I am out of province during that week for orientation with Alberta Corrections.

Is CSC in anyway going to understand and reschedule?


Do not tell them you are currently in Alberta Corrections. Simply say you are out of province and respectfully request a reschedule. Do not give them reason to go to another applicant.

Good luck...prepare VERY well.

PP
Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
(Be patient and tough; one day this pain will be useful to you)
- Ovid

CJ20
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:07 am
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby CJ20 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:33 am

Does this new posting mean that my current status in the pool is null and void?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, Zepedder and 8 guests