Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
MedTech
Grand Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby MedTech » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:44 pm

salsun wrote:
smarshall wrote:and this as well http://www.globaltvbc.com/​guard+assaulted+at+a+fraser+val​ley+prison/6442667430/​story.html

OR

Prisoner slashes face of female guard at Kent Institution
By JOHN COLEBOURN, The Province June 24, 2012 2:02 PM
Kent Institution in Agassiz.

A female corrections officer at Kent Institution in Agassiz had her face badly slashed in an attack by an inmate wielding a homemade knife.
The Province

Is the victim a prisoner or an officer?

You're kidding right?
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:00 pm

No wonder he has not been hired,he can't read

Kent inmate threatening violence before attack on officer: UCCO
By Robert Freeman - Chilliwack Progress

Published: June 26, 2012 10:00 AM
Updated: June 26, 2012 10:19 AM

Kent prison staff are lashing out at prison management after a female corrections officer was slashed across the face Saturday and will probably need plastic surgery.

The Union of Canadian Correctional Officers posted a newsletter Monday claiming the inmate who slashed the officer had made direct threats against another officer 17 days earlier, and was in segregation at the time he promised to stab an officer in the face.

"But what was management's response to those threats? Release to the General Population where he was able to carry out his plan against the unsuspecting staff member," the union newsletter charged.

"We will not be victims of management and security intelligence failures to adequately deal with threats, intimidation and violence perpetrated by the inmates," the union newsletter continued.

"We deserve respect and to be more than faceless numbers to what it seems is an inattentive local management."

A Kent spokesman did not return a call from The Progress for comment after issuing a news release Monday reporting the 2 p.m. assault.

UCCO president Gord Robertson was also unavailable for an interview, but told The Progress in a voicemail late Monday that the officer is recovering "remarkably well" although she will probably need plastic surgery.

The union claims its members have been warning of problems and submitting detailed reports of threats to management "seemingly without any response or sanction against the inmates."

The prison news release said prison officials continue to "review the circumstances surrounding the incident and take action where necessary."

The Saturday attacked reportedly follows an earlier attack on Thursday in which a male officer was stabbed in the chest, but he was wearing a protective vest that saved him from serious injury.
Can you read this one?

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:31 pm

salsun wrote:
smarshall wrote:and this as well http://www.globaltvbc.com/​guard+assaulted+at+a+fraser+val​ley+prison/6442667430/​story.html

OR

A female corrections officer at Kent Institution in Agassiz had her face badly slashed in an attack by an inmate wielding a homemade knife.
The Province

What you mean? It says prisoner slashes the guard?

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:26 pm

0010010 wrote:
salsun wrote:

OR

The Province

What you mean? It says prisoner slashes the guard?

Hi Everyone: It was a mistake of mine to ask. The answer is, "it was a planned attack on any correctional officer."

leafmapleca
Rookie Member

Postby leafmapleca » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:37 am

JEM7VWH wrote:Got my CTP invite today; CTP starts August 21st in Saskatoon. Going to Stony Mountain, woo hoo!

I'll be joining you in Saskatoon.

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 pm

leafmapleca wrote:
JEM7VWH wrote:Got my CTP invite today; CTP starts August 21st in Saskatoon. Going to Stony Mountain, woo hoo!

I'll be joining you in Saskatoon.

Awesome!! What institution are you going to?
CX-1/Prairies

CJ20
Rookie Member

Postby CJ20 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Congrats to everybody. Hopefully there are a few PW spots as well in those CTP's

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 pm

smacd wrote:
Bruffy wrote:Check the RCMP website for all the latest and greatest on fingerprint requirements. Then you all know why some were :shock: and some weren't :ponder: asked for prints.
Thanks.

....I still don't see it... I have searched the forum (and have found something about sharing a name with someone...?) and searched the RCMP site.... unless it's so glaringly obvious that I assume that couldn't be it, I'm stumped.

Could you enlighten me? :)

If you have an original name then there is a good chance you will not be fingerprinted because your name should come back clean when it's run through CPIC.
If your name is John Smith then chances are there are some baddies out there with the same name and they'll want to clarify your identity.
If your name comes back on a CSIS watch list expect your security clearance to take quite a bit longer.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

primaryworker
Rookie Member

Postby primaryworker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a ton of respect for correctional officers but I can't handle the extreme danger so I would like to become a primary worker instead.

If I may ask, do PW's fall under the CX-1 category in terms of recognition, pay and stuff by the union or another government classification because it is clear they have a different job title...

This would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:08 pm

PWs deal with the same type of clients as COs - the only difference is that PWs deal with female offenders and we deal with males. As far as I know, they have a bit more pay, are considered CXIIs and fall under the same union and what not. And what do you mean by "I can't handle the extreme danger"? Your saying dealing with male inmates is too dangerous? If that’s what you mean, and ill try to be nice here, honestly - choose a different career - cons are cons - they try to pull the same thing. PW or CO, its the same thing - maybe even more headache for PWs.

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:33 pm

PW = CX2 in a womens prison. Female inmates are just as violent as males.You need to reconsider your career choice right now!

primaryworker
Rookie Member

Postby primaryworker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 pm

I appreciate the helpful replies..I should have rephrased - I am in a pool to start training as a CO but after hearing the news with the female CO, I will absolutely reconsider.

Thanks, all the best.

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 pm

"I'd rather deal with a zone full of men than 5 female inmates....actually let me put it a better way....id rather fight a u-haul full of wolverines with a nerf gun than deal with female inmates"

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:27 pm

primaryworker wrote:I appreciate the helpful replies..I should have rephrased - I am in a pool to start training as a CO but after hearing the news with the female CO, I will absolutely reconsider.

Thanks, all the best.

The female inmates will cut you just as badly and just as quickly as that male inmate cut the CX out at Kent Institution.

You may want to consider another line of work, as this is a risk of the job. We give them razors to shave with, and they make them into slicing weapons -- they won't kill you, but they will leave a scar. We're finding them all the time these days..... great for intimidation of other inmates as well.

Our search gloves will only protect our hands, and the vests only protect vital organs in the torso. The rest of your body is still exposed, and WILL get cut in a scuffle - we're trained to expect it, and not to be surprised by it.

As well, if the sight of blood concerns you, again, you're in the wrong line of work. Female inmates especially are expert cutters, so as a PW, you'll be cleaning up a lot of the stuff.

But surely you must have known all this before applying, no? What exactly were you expecting as a PW? Lollipops and roses? Not to be facetious or anything, but I'm just curious as to what your understanding of the job was, and where you found this information.....
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:34 pm

I'm thinking we got bit by a Troll again!!! :ponder: