Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
p.r
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby p.r » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:44 pm

While you are in CTP, think before you act outside of training. If you're staying in a hotel provided by CSC-SCC, (such as Parktown in SK) the hotel staff (including restaurant and lounge staff) are well aware of who you are and why you're there. They keep in contact with the staff college and will inform them of any poor behavior or condut by the rectuit. People have been released days before graduation for this in the past.

Keep this in mind if you plan on "having a good time in the hotel" on Friday night, better to go with your buddies elsewhere.

Brute_Force
Rookie Member

Postby Brute_Force » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:11 am

Yup!! What p.r said. If you're gonna goof around. Not in the hotel or even at Finns pub beside the hotel.

Brute_Force
Rookie Member

Postby Brute_Force » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:13 am

Anyone here in the process for pacific? Just want to know.

noob01
Rookie Member

Postby noob01 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:11 am

Brute_Force wrote:Anyone here in the process for pacific? Just want to know.

Atlantic side.... Looks like I may possibly have to move your way if it works out
KCCO

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 pm

p.r wrote:While you are in CTP, think before you act outside of training. If you're staying in a hotel provided by CSC-SCC, (such as Parktown in SK) the hotel staff (including restaurant and lounge staff) are well aware of who you are and why you're there. They keep in contact with the staff college and will inform them of any poor behavior or condut by the rectuit. People have been released days before graduation for this in the past.

Keep this in mind if you plan on "having a good time in the hotel" on Friday night, better to go with your buddies elsewhere.

It makes common sense, sometimes people are short on that these days. Try doing your CTP in a place like Kingston. You live at the staff college. The regional HQ is now on the grounds of the staff college. The city is crawling with people of all ranks and jobs from CSC. Many, many people coming into the college for training, meetings, etc. People know who you are. If you can't control yourself for 8 - 10 weeks during CTP, what's going to happen when you are at your place of work?
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:12 am

p.r wrote:think before you act

Funny... I didn't know that you only had to think during training, and the rest o the time it's whatever goes!
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:06 am

More for you applicants to think of-This day in history: June 18, 1990

RCMP and prison officials search for prisoners who escaped from Kent Institution at the Agassiz-Rosedale bridge on this day in 1990.

A helicopter pilot was forced at gunpoint to land at Kent Institution, a maximum security jail in B.C., where two prisoners escaped in the waiting aircraft.

The country's first helicopter prison escape took just 137 seconds - with only a 40-second window of opportunity for guards to foil the plans of killer Robert Ford, 32, and armed robber David Thomas, 24. The masked accomplice who hijacked the helicopter came equipped and ready to kill.

He carried a military-type, semi-automatic weapon, was wearing a bulletproof vest, and possibly had hand grenades hanging from his belt. He also shot first with "no provocation," wounding a guard in the right knee. The guard, who had less than one year's experience, was planning to ask some-one from the hovering aircraft what was happening when he saw the gunman.

Although successful, the escape was short-lived; the pair was nabbed two days later on Echo Island in Harrison Lake.

Speaking to reporters as he was led handcuffed by RCMP officers and deputy sheriffs into court, Thomas said he enjoyed his fling with freedom. "Excellent. It was a blast. I loved it," he said. Later, he added: "I'd do it again, if I had the chance."

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:20 pm

and this as well http://www.globaltvbc.com/​guard+assaulted+at+a+fraser+val​ley+prison/6442667430/​story.html

Prisoner slashes face of female guard at Kent Institution
By JOHN COLEBOURN, The Province June 24, 2012 2:02 PM
Kent Institution in Agassiz.

A female corrections officer at Kent Institution in Agassiz had her face badly slashed in an attack by an inmate wielding a homemade knife.

The woman, whose name has not been released, was taken to Royal Columbian Hospital after the Saturday afternoon attack.

According to Gord Robertson, president of the Pacific region of the Union of Canadian Correctional Officers, the guard will be badly disfigured.

“An inmate slashed her on her face quite severely,” he said. “It was basically down the whole side of her face, it was a severe cut and very deep.”

Robertson said it was unclear why the inmate attacked the officer.

Kent, a maximum security federal prison, has been in lockdown since the incident. It follows the slashing of another officer on Thursday, said Robertson.

In that slashing a guard was cut in the arm by a homemade weapon.

He believes the knife in the latest attack was made out of a razor blade.

“We have no idea why,” he said.

“It was completely random. We have heard it was a planned attack on any correctional officer.”

Robertson said the violence highlights tension inside the prison, due to overcrowding and work conditions.

“It has been quite tense for the correctional officers there for quite some time,” he said.

While the investigation into the attack is in its early stages, Robertson said any links to other inmate involvement will be explored.

The guard is expected to make a full recovery.

Robertson said despite the facial damage, it could have been much worse.

“It looks like he was trying to slash her throat,” he said.

The inmate suspected of the knife attack has been moved from the Kent facility.

© Copyright (c) The Province

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Got my CTP invite today; CTP starts August 21st in Saskatoon. Going to Stony Mountain, woo hoo!
CX-1/Prairies

peps
Rookie Member

Postby peps » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 pm

JEM7VWH wrote:Got my CTP invite today; CTP starts August 21st in Saskatoon. Going to Stony Mountain, woo hoo!

Last edited by peps on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CX II

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Both are awesome institutions. Good luck in CTP.

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 pm

peps wrote:
JEM7VWH wrote:Got my CTP invite today; CTP starts August 21st in Saskatoon. Going to Stony Mountain, woo hoo!

Got my invite also. CTP in Kingston Aug. 13. Going to Drumheller.
Can't wait.

Congratulations.

Hype
Rookie Member

Postby Hype » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Hey first time poster here. Just had a quick question regarding the CTP process. I have just passed my CTP stage 1 online training and medical at the end of May. I am aware of the federal government slowing down the hiring of new staff and also aware of the "hurry up and wait" slogan in regards to the whole process; however, I am just reaching out for any further information anyone may have in regards to the situation.

Thank you for your time!

P.S. I am in the Pacific region if that helps at all!

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 pm

smarshall wrote:and this as well http://www.globaltvbc.com/​guard+assaulted+at+a+fraser+val​ley+prison/6442667430/​story.html

OR

A female corrections officer at Kent Institution in Agassiz had her face badly slashed in an attack by an inmate wielding a homemade knife.
The Province

Is the victim a prisoner or an officer?

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 pm

salsun wrote:
smarshall wrote:and this as well http://www.globaltvbc.com/​guard+assaulted+at+a+fraser+val​ley+prison/6442667430/​story.html

OR

The Province

Is the victim a prisoner or an officer?

here salsun........read it again..........."female CO.............had her face badly slashed"
Gaoler