Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
SupahDuck
King Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:59 am

smacd wrote:After reading the posts lately and the immense research I have been doing I am feeling anxious. I never assumed this would be a safe job or that I, personally, would be "rehabilitating and reintigrating" the offenders that I came into contact with. I was clear about the shit, piss other bodily fluids that may come flying at me in the course of a day. All that I feel I am prepared for (well, as much as one can be prepared for that :s).

What I was not prepared for was the co-worker struggles. In the last month while completing my training I have learned (through various sources) that there isn't a big sense of solidarity and, in fact, if you aren't liked (for a million reasons) your job will be hell. Plain and simple.

I normally don't have a problem fitting in but this is a completely different culture and it worries me. What if people don't trust that I can compentently do my job, what if people look at me, as a woman, and decide I am not strong enough to provide them with enough backup to make them feel secure on a shift.... what if, what if, what if.

I suppose the point of my post is to pose the question... Is it normal to feel nervous about these things or is the fact that I am even thinking about this a sign that I can't "hack" it.

smacd, I think Striker said everything I was originally going to say, so I won't repeat it. What I will add, though, are three rules that I was taught when I first started:

1) A closed door is a good door. (Especially important at Kingston Pen, where we can electrically open doors remotely, but we have to physically swing them shut).

2) Hurry up and wait! (Especially important when that nitwit non-CX staff member is yelling at you to open the barrier they're waiting at, not realizing that you may have a good reason for keeping them behind it, for their own safety). Also applicable to the CTP process, too! :D

and finally

3) ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS! Never ever EVER ever assume that you know the answer to something, because that will get people hurt. Period. I have five years in the Service now, and I'm STILL learning about aspects of the job that I consider myself a rookie in. And I go ask my senior officers the questions I have, and thankfully, nearly all of them are willing to share their wisdom and experience with me. THAT'S what makes the workplace tolerable, that we all take care of each other.

Have the humility, courage and integrity to acknowledge that Corrections is a serious business, and a unique one, and you're going to have to learn a lot, very quickly. Yes, you'll bring your own skills and knowledge to the table, but there are things that not even CTP can prepare you for. Be open, willing to learn, and QUESTIONING. Use your ears and eyes, and ASK! If your fellow officers are worth their salt, they'll gladly answer.

Thankfully, both of the institutions I've worked at (Collins Bay and Kingston Pen) have had plenty of senior officers who were excellent mentors and friends! :thumbsup:

For the most part, you'll find that wherever you go. Just be aware that in an organization as large and complex as CSC, there's always going to be grumpy bad apples, but they'll be few and far between. The old days of "shut your mouth and do your time" are gone..... that sort of attitude is unsafe and unprofessional.

You've got the right attitude, and the right approach..... just keep on going! :thumbsup:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Got a call for a CPO position interview this coming monday in Kingston!!!!!!!!!!
ANXIOUS!!!!!!!

MB_CVE
Veteran Member

Postby MB_CVE » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:14 pm

I interviewed for the CPO National Posting in Winnipeg on February 8, 2012. HR indicated to me that since it is a national posting all the regions will have to conduct their interviews, hold their selection committees, then send the results off to NHQ for them to weigh in on all the applicants from across Canada. My references were contacted back in February. I don't expect to hear anything for awhile. Just a quick heads up to take things slowly!
Subordinate.

CJ20
Rookie Member

Postby CJ20 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 pm

Have my Parole Officer interview on Monday. Nervous and anxious as well!

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 pm

0010010 wrote:So basically shes mad because her son didn't make it because either a) he failed and got 3 strikesor b) he was an idiot... im guessing it was B, or else she wouldn't be here mad and crying about how people backstab eachother on CORE. Now, shes trying to convice other people how bad the job is... get a life. If you have such a HIGH education, why do you sound like you barely passed high school? I know shes banned but.. damn..

And to peeps who are currently on CORE or in the process, so far - I love CSC and everything that comes with it - i have only been on for about 5 months now. Yes there are shitty times, but the coworkers i work with are top notch. Don't listen to people like SpoiledBrat who have never even stepped inside the fence.

Anyways.. im done :)

It was B, trust me I know the details but can't share them

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:44 pm

GeeGee wrote:Got a call for a CPO position interview this coming monday in Kingston!!!!!!!!!!
ANXIOUS!!!!!!!

Good luck with your interview.
What does CPO stand for?
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Correctional program officer.

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:06 pm

darwin wrote:Correctional program officer.

Thanks.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Commish.
Seasoned Member
Location: That place between were you live and that other city.

Postby Commish. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 am

opp2 wrote:no doubt....I always start at the last post and work my way back....

I normaly do to, but this time I had a brain fart.
-People think that I'm quiet because I'm shy, but really I've been silently judging them from afar and determining that they're all fucking retards.

noob01
Rookie Member

Postby noob01 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 am

have an interview in 2 weeks...Kingston!! I think I put down I would relocate but I am not too sure.. I'd like to stay in Ontario
KCCO

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:33 pm

CJ20 wrote:Have my Parole Officer interview on Monday. Nervous and anxious as well!

Congratulations!

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:34 pm

noob01 wrote:have an interview in 2 weeks...Kingston!! I think I put down I would relocate but I am not too sure.. I'd like to stay in Ontario

Congratulations!

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:35 pm

GeeGee wrote:Got a call for a CPO position interview this coming monday in Kingston!!!!!!!!!!
ANXIOUS!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

sonikstorm
Rookie Member

Postby sonikstorm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:02 pm

The lady's nickname was spoiled_brat.. I have no idea why it went for 3 pages..

Anyways.. I'm looking at postings for an RCMP detention guard, I'm assuming its pretrial
If not, what's the difference between that and a CO?

I ask cause the posting is not on the CSC website, it's on a security site.