Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
kenworth98
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby kenworth98 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:54 pm

the_don wrote:Are there any rumours if/when the next Stage 3 CTP Class will be held?

Cores are ongoing for the western regions...sorry i dont have any dates or more info....

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Sat May 12, 2012 1:42 pm

kenworth98 wrote:
the_don wrote:Are there any rumours if/when the next Stage 3 CTP Class will be held?

Cores are ongoing for the western regions...sorry i dont have any dates or more info....

How much time are you allowed between notification and actual start on stage 2?

How much time did you spend on finishing the stage 2?

Are you scheduled for stage 3 yet?

THANKS!

the_don
Rookie Member

Postby the_don » Sat May 12, 2012 1:43 pm

kenworth98 wrote:

Good to know, I applied for the Prairie Region and have finished Stage 1 CTP; received an email basically telling me to hurry up and wait. I wasn't sure if there was a moratorium for the recruitment of CX1's because of the closures.
Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.

the_don
Rookie Member

Postby the_don » Sat May 12, 2012 1:45 pm

salsun wrote:
kenworth98 wrote:

How much time are you allowed between notification and actual start on stage 2?

How much time did you spend on finishing the stage 2?

Are you scheduled for stage 3 yet?

THANKS!

I haven't received an invitation for Stage 2 yet...the email I received said that the results of Stage 1 are good for one year. Sorry, hope that helps...not sure if that was directed at me or kenworth.
Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sat May 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Stop asking for start dates / next stage dates / any dates at all, people.

The closures of Leclerc, Kingston Pen and Regional Treatment Centre (Ontario) have ground ALL CTP's to a full stop, so don't even bother asking.

Deployments between institutions ALL ACROSS CANADA are frozen for the next three months, and deployments into Ontario and Quebec are frozen for NINE months.

Never mind the fact that you have nearly 400 ALREADY HIRED CX OFFICERS in Ontario and god knows how many at LeClerc that are now looking for jobs elsewhere in the country.

I'm sorry, but we take priority. Once the dust settles, then perhaps CSC will start hiring.

:banghead:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

peps
Rookie Member

Postby peps » Sat May 12, 2012 10:48 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Stop asking for start dates / next stage dates / any dates at all, people.

The closures of Leclerc, Kingston Pen and Regional Treatment Centre (Ontario) have ground ALL CTP's to a full stop, so don't even bother asking.

Deployments between institutions ALL ACROSS CANADA are frozen for the next three months, and deployments into Ontario and Quebec are frozen for NINE months.

Never mind the fact that you have nearly 400 ALREADY HIRED CX OFFICERS in Ontario and god knows how many at LeClerc that are now looking for jobs elsewhere in the country.

I'm sorry, but we take priority. Once the dust settles, then perhaps CSC will start hiring.

So are you saying the CTP that started May 2, and the CTP starting May 23 are a no go?
CX II

Thatguyswife
Rookie Member

Postby Thatguyswife » Sat May 12, 2012 11:04 pm

peps wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:Stop asking for start dates / next stage dates / any dates at all, people.

So are you saying the CTP that started May 2, and the CTP starting May 23 are a no go?

My husband is still set to fly out on the 21st to start core on the 23rd. We have not heard anything otherwise. Maybe there will be a longer period between ctp and ojt. If so im totaly okay with that, then he can help me pack! Lol. Although this is for the prairie region.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sun May 13, 2012 3:10 am

Sorry, bad choice of words. No NEW CTP's in the Ontario region, and I'm pretty sure as things develop, there won't be any in the other regions as well, until this all gets settled.

And yes, there may be a gap between your grad and OJT start. Like I said, you've got 400+ officers ahead of you in the line for jobs, including those out west that you were invited into the competition for....
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

salsun
Rookie Member

Postby salsun » Sun May 13, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for putting off our false hope.

Thatguyswife
Rookie Member

Postby Thatguyswife » Sun May 13, 2012 1:06 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Sorry, bad choice of words. No NEW CTP's in the Ontario region, and I'm pretty sure as things develop, there won't be any in the other regions as well, until this all gets settled.

And yes, there may be a gap between your grad and OJT start. Like I said, you've got 400+ officers ahead of you in the line for jobs, including those out west that you were invited into the competition for....

Yes i know, i was just letting PEPS know as far as the one for May 23rd nothing has changed that i know of.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sun May 13, 2012 6:44 pm

salsun wrote:

Sorry to be so gloomy, everyone, this is affecting not only the staff at KP/RTC/LeClerc, but by extension it's cascading to all the institutions across the country.

The uncertainty we're facing as indeterminate employees by extension now also affects you.

We'd rather be pragmatic at this point, and be blunt with the facts of the situation. Nothing like this has been done in recent memory in CSC (the last time was the mid eighties), so NO-ONE has all the answers at this point.

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 pm

SupahDuck wrote:
salsun wrote:

Sorry to be so gloomy, everyone, this is affecting not only the staff at KP/RTC/LeClerc, but by extension it's cascading to all the institutions across the country.

The uncertainty we're facing as indeterminate employees by extension now also affects you.

Very true! Most of the new employees at my institution have been from Ontario and the Maritimes. And now they are settling in, as opposed to wanting to transfer back a year from now, because like you said, no one seems to know how this is going to play out.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

illsmashup
Rookie Member

Postby illsmashup » Mon May 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Remember that going through core doesnt guarantee a job. It has been done in the past in ONT that when ppl are done core they dont have a place to be sent and are sent home waiting for a position. I know its rare but I know someone that it happened to their whole core.
So dont be surprised, they may just have you waiting at home until they get this all figured out and get the employees in their positions. Not until you're at the institution do you sign a letter of offer stating that you will take the job.

Thatguyswife
Rookie Member

Postby Thatguyswife » Mon May 14, 2012 11:15 pm

illsmashup wrote:Remember that going through core doesnt guarantee a job. It has been done in the past in ONT that when ppl are done core they dont have a place to be sent and are sent home waiting for a position. I know its rare but I know someone that it happened to their whole core.
So dont be surprised, they may just have you waiting at home until they get this all figured out and get the employees in their positions. Not until you're at the institution do you sign a letter of offer stating that you will take the job.

My husband hasnt started core yet but when they called him for core they offered him a position in Drumheller. He had to sign a contract saying he would take the position and fax it back. Im not sure what they will do there. Of course this is based upon him completing training. Wishing things werent so messed up right now!

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 am

illsmashup wrote:Remember that going through core doesnt guarantee a job. It has been done in the past in ONT that when ppl are done core they dont have a place to be sent and are sent home waiting for a position. I know its rare but I know someone that it happened to their whole core.

You now sign your letter of offer on CORE, they just started doing this and you are paid for OJT. When I arrived at my instution I had to mention that I was a sworn in CSC employee from the first day of OJT. So before going to CORE you already have a job. You sign a conditional letter of offer saying you will go to where ever once you have completed CORE and what not.
CX