Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
leafmapleca
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby leafmapleca » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Hey just a quick question, I wrote the in house exam back n November and I most people said you should hear back results whether you passed or failed within 2-8 weeks. Its been almost 3 months and still haven't heard back. Just wondering if this is still normal to be waiting. I wrote it in prairie region and was just me writing it. Just seeing if anyone else experience this long or any advice on if i should bother to contact them. Thanks for your time.

avm
Rookie Member

Postby avm » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Finally had my first interview with correctional service of Canada for Prairie Region after putting in three applications since last April. Praying everyday I passed it, felt good walking out of the interview after preparing non stop weeks before hand, so hopefully. Fingers crossed. Just want to thank all of those who post in here and provide all the useful information that helped me understand roughly how the recruitment process goes :D and made me never give up knowing how much the process can vary.
Alberta Correctional Peace Officer
Applied: January 2012
Selected: January 2012
PARE: February 2012-passed
Interview: February 2012-passed
References and Credential check: March 2012-passed
Eligibility List: March 2012-waiting

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:35 pm

tarikl01 wrote:hi I'm new to this forum i have a question if i can have some info i applied to csc i pass the stage 1 exam and reveived an email saying i'm in the stage 2 pool and that i will get called for stage 2 depanding of regional need it being 3 weeks ago and still waiting can some one tell about how much time do i still have to wait and what,s is the regional needs right now i'm from quebec
thanks a lot in advance

First things first. Please use capitalization and periods in your question.

If you'd bothered to read back a few pages, you'd have your answer.

You'll get called when they want you. And if your application and correspondence exhibit the same wonderful language skills as your post, I can tell you that you might be waiting a while.

Here's some advice..... take the time to write your sentences properly. And do us all a favour and do some research. See that search box at the top right hand corner? USE IT!

:nono:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Even though your e-mail says to expect a response....... DON'T!!!!

I have three friends at various stages of the last three processes..... they've ONLY received e-mails/correspondence when they were asked to move to the next stage..... you're not going to get an e-mail saying you didn't make it.

Assume the recruiting department's silence to mean a no.

Wait for the yes, and hope for the best, but given the volume of applicants, the recruiters just don't have time to tell everyone who applied that they didn't make it. Everything they send out is done manually (using form letters of course), but there's a live person on the other end, not an automated program robo-emailing you.

CSC just isn't that sophisticated.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

JEM7VWH
Rookie Member

Postby JEM7VWH » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:24 pm

leafmapleca wrote:Hey just a quick question, I wrote the in house exam back n November and I most people said you should hear back results whether you passed or failed within 2-8 weeks. Its been almost 3 months and still haven't heard back. Just wondering if this is still normal to be waiting. I wrote it in prairie region and was just me writing it. Just seeing if anyone else experience this long or any advice on if i should bother to contact them. Thanks for your time.

I wrote in November for the prairie region too. I didn't get an email saying I passed just another email 2 months from my testing to come in for an interview BUT, the email came, and a week from that I had my interview. So...they could be still interviewing and going down the line. ALSO, like SupahDuck says they call you when they want you. Check your email, in all my contact with CSC all of it has been through email.
CX-1/Prairies

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Mully , where you on the tour to Kent I gave? It was good to meet you guys for that week i was at the Collage

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:20 am

smarshall wrote:Mully , where you on the tour to Kent I gave? It was good to meet you guys for that week i was at the Collage

Yes smarshall I was on the tour. I was going to wait until I got on to the private forum until I mentioned it. Anyway, thank you very much for the tour, it was awesome! After hearing your remarks and how great you were with us, we all wished we were staying at kent with you. Either way, we are excited to be finished and look forward to our next stage of learning. Thanks again for all your help, it was an incredible experience.

PS.... we left a gift for you with one of the instructors... pm me for details if you have not received it yet, lol. :smirk: :alright:
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:32 pm

See You All On Monday for Exams!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL APPLICANTS!!! :alright:
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:10 pm

supah, mt, striker, and bigbuck,

please read the 2nd last paragraph: http://www.theprovince.com/news/jail+cr ... story.html

"Corrections Canada recently abandoned a plan to hire 4,000 new prison guards because a projection that there would be 17,000 inmates in federal prisons by the end of 2011 did not pan out. In December, there were 14,893 federal inmates, more than 2,000 fewer than anticipated."

is this accurate?
Gaoler

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:31 am

Gaoler wrote:supah, mt, striker, and bigbuck,

please read the 2nd last paragraph: http://www.theprovince.com/news/jail+cr ... story.html

"Corrections Canada recently abandoned a plan to hire 4,000 new prison guards because a projection that there would be 17,000 inmates in federal prisons by the end of 2011 did not pan out. In December, there were 14,893 federal inmates, more than 2,000 fewer than anticipated."

is this accurate?

Saw that, and I'll repeat what I've stated previously in this thread about that very issue:

Don Head made the announcement internally that the "4000" number that's been thrown around is just a projection, based on the possibility that our population would increase from around 13500 to around 17000 over the medium term.

He said that hiring would always be (and always has been) based on actual institutional and regional needs, not on projections, because as you can see, the numbers don't always work out as planned, especially since none of this stuff has been done before -- there's no precedent.

Since hiring is going to be based on actual needs (i.e. retirements, promotions, and other attrition, as well as nominal growth), it's always going to lag a bit, and of course, we all know how famously lethargic the recruiting process is....

HURRY UP AND........ you know the rest. 8)

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:42 am

Mully wrote:
smarshall wrote:Mully , where you on the tour to Kent I gave? It was good to meet you guys for that week i was at the Collage

Yes smarshall I was on the tour. I was going to wait until I got on to the private forum until I mentioned it. Anyway, thank you very much for the tour, it was awesome! After hearing your remarks and how great you were with us, we all wished we were staying at kent with you. Either way, we are excited to be finished and look forward to our next stage of learning. Thanks again for all your help, it was an incredible experience.

PS.... we left a gift for you with one of the instructors... pm me for details if you have not received it yet, lol. :smirk: :alright:

SEE!!!I can play nice with recruits Duckie :alright: :angel:

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 am

Gaoler wrote:supah, mt, striker, and bigbuck,

is this accurate?

From what I understand, while yes it's accurate, Officer Hiring will still continue as always. Institutions are still expanding, and with the expected passing of Bill C-10, and it's amendments to the Criminal Code, CCRA, CCRR etc. etc. I don't see CSC Officer hiring slowing to a concerning speed for hopeful applicants.

The entire criminal justice system will require more officers/staff with the passing of this bill. Provincial Corrections, Sheriff's, CSC,Police . . everybody keep your eyes peeled for Officer Positions across the country. If your ultimate goal is CSC, awesome - nothing wrong with Provincial Corrections if you can get in there first.

Cheers! The next 3 years of this guaranteed Conservative Majority will be interesting.

peachez26
Rookie Member

Postby peachez26 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:32 am

Just got the news i passed the (WCPT 351 and the inhouse exam... Has anyone else heard anything. I toke my test in early december of last year. Can anyone tell me what else to expect next in the processs?

thanks again

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:14 am

peachez26 wrote:Just got the news i passed the (WCPT 351 and the inhouse exam... Has anyone else heard anything. I toke my test in early december of last year. Can anyone tell me what else to expect next in the processs?

thanks again

Wait. And wait some more. If they're only telling you *now* that you passed the written exams..... be prepared to wait. They'll call/e-mail you when they want you..... read back through the last 20 pages of this thread to find out what comes next....

peps
Rookie Member

Postby peps » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 am

peachez26 wrote:Just got the news i passed the (WCPT 351 and the inhouse exam... Has anyone else heard anything. I toke my test in early december of last year. Can anyone tell me what else to expect next in the processs?

thanks again

What region was the testing for?
I will tell you my time line, but everyone has a different experience. They will call you when they are ready for you. Best advice I was given by some of the senior members on here was to apply to CSC then go about your life as if you have not applied.
Read back through the fourm and you will see all different time lines.

My time line so far:
Applied- April 2011
Testing- Dec.6 2011 (Kingston)
Interview- Jan. 27 2012 (Kingston)
Reference check- Feb 3 2012
Passed Interview- Feb 8 2012 (called and e-mailed)
Booked Medical- Feb 17 2012
CX II