Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
Bruffy
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Bruffy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Melanie1 wrote:So got the call to start CTP in Abbotsford BC for position with Drumheller Institution. Starting Feb 6th/12
The decision to quit school for this position is killing me.
So the questions to the guys on the inside
Does a college diploma really make a difference for pay or anything?
Potentially if I wanted a promotion of some sort I would have to go back?
I have one semester left but the fiscal year ends march 31st for CSC? And I am done school and would be available for training starting May...it isn't a guarantee that I would be going for training? Is there a potential for a hiring freeze within the Prairie Region anytime soon?
This may be a bit of a repeat but I am just so torn. I have worked hard to finish school..but then again the reason I went to school was to get this job... I feel sad leaving my classmates and not being able to graduate with them... and finally have something to show for my hard work and money spent/debt

Thanks again!


Only you can make this decision yourself; however, a little advice.
1) Quit school, cut your losses and get yourself a career with CSC while you can.
2) You can always finish your studies after you graduate CTP.
3) You'll meet new classmates to graduate with at CTP.
4) You'll have something to show for your hard work and money spent/debt once you start making $ career with CSC.
5) If you don't take the position there is probably another 20,000 applicants across Canada that would trade with you.
6) Don't expect this hiring spree to last forever. As they say, all good things must come to an end.
7) Fiscal year isn't all about money, don't forget about annual vacation and family related leave.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Gaoler » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:57 pm

ProudCanadian wrote:Thanks, Almc. And can you wear the long sleeve only if you want too? I am asking this because I have a rather ugly tattoo that is visible when I am wearing a t-shirt. Nothing racist or anything stupid, just ugly, and would look unprofessional in my opinion. Thanks again.

I've seen on many websites that they make medical looking bands/sleeves that are designed specifically to cover tattoos. I'm not sure if this is allowed by CSC or not...but the option is out there. I think I saw them advertised in a Blue Line magazine actually.....[/quote]

Very interesting...thanks for bringing this to my attention, Slo. I will have to look into these.[/quote]

i believe u r talking about these ones: http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=iverson+s ... x=78&ty=66

not these: http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=iverson+s ... x=89&ty=79
Gaoler

jonnybravo
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby jonnybravo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:29 am

MedTech wrote:
salsun wrote:Can anyone tell me the physical requirements of CTP? Thanks for your advice.


Yes... don't be a fat slob...


Unfortunately there is none, but it's up to you remember the inmates work out everyday

polarissucks
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby polarissucks » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:02 am

Anyone know when they will open the hiring process again? Wondering what my chances of working at SMI would be. I currently work in Manitoba corrections and if possible would like to stay in province.
Last edited by polarissucks on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

salsun
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby salsun » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:30 am

jonnybravo wrote:
MedTech wrote:
salsun wrote:Can anyone tell me the physical requirements of CTP? Thanks for your advice.


Yes... don't be a fat slob...


Unfortunately there is none, but it's up to you remember the inmates work out everyday


Let me reword my question:
1. Please describe briefy of the training areas? (Like firearm :pistols: )
2. Is it possible to fail CTP if we are not physically fit? (Like running in certain speed :wounded: )
3. If yes, how should we prepare for this competition :swords: ?
PW (CX-2)
Applied: 15-Jun-11
In-House Exam: 19-Sep-11
Interviewed: 30-Nov-11
Medical: 13-Dec-11,
Fingerprinted: 16-Dec-11
CTP-1: 20-Jan-12 to 20-Feb-12
CTP-2+3: in progress

User avatar
Mully
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:34 pm
Location: Prairie Region
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Mully » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 am

polarissucks wrote:Anyone know when they will open the hiring process again? Wondering what my chances of working at SMI would be. I currently work in Manitoba corrections and if possible would like to stay in province.


Stoney was my first choice and that's where I am going. Like anything else, it will depend on operational need. Most recruits for prairies goto alberta. In my case I was lucky to get my first choice, maybe you will be too.
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 pm

I took everyone's advice into account and truly appreciate all of the input. I accepted the conditional letter this morning and will be headed to Abbotsford Feb.6th for Drumheller Institution. I am sad to leave college and the friends and classmates, but it is what I need to do.
:D

Oh and I spoke with my school and I can return at all time to resume my education!
Last edited by Melanie1 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CX

MedTech
Grand Poobah
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Behind Bars
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby MedTech » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Melanie1 wrote:I took everyone's advice into account and truly appreciate all of the input. I accepted the conditional letter this morning and will be headed to Abbotsford Feb.6th for Drumheller Institution. I am sad to leave college and the friends and classmates, but it is what I need to do.
:D



Easiet decision you'll ever have to make...
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:20 pm

MedTech wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:I took everyone's advice into account and truly appreciate all of the input. I accepted the conditional letter this morning and will be headed to Abbotsford Feb.6th for Drumheller Institution. I am sad to leave college and the friends and classmates, but it is what I need to do.
:D



Easiet decision you'll ever have to make...


I hope so. I think once I move back to my hometown from college I will feel a bit better about it.
I feel the universe is trying to tell me not to move...I woke up to snow this morning.
CX

polarissucks
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby polarissucks » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 pm

So, when you apply do you get a choice of a few different centers you would like to work at, or only the one you are choosing. Because there are 2 that I wouldn't mind to work at. Can I have an application in for separate institutions?

MedTech
Grand Poobah
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Behind Bars
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby MedTech » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Melanie1 wrote:
I hope so. I think once I move back to my hometown from college I will feel a bit better about it.
I feel the universe is trying to tell me not to move...I woke up to snow this morning.


Think about this conversation when you're at your first use of force, or when you first draw your gun out, or when you're at the point where the safety's off...

Easiest decision you've had to make...
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 pm

polarissucks wrote:So, when you apply do you get a choice of a few different centers you would like to work at, or only the one you are choosing. Because there are 2 that I wouldn't mind to work at. Can I have an application in for separate institutions?


When you get to the interview stage they give you a list and you rank them. At least thats how it went for me.
CX

Melanie1
Seasoned Member
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Melanie1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:07 pm

MedTech wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:
I hope so. I think once I move back to my hometown from college I will feel a bit better about it.
I feel the universe is trying to tell me not to move...I woke up to snow this morning.


Think about this conversation when you're at your first use of force, or when you first draw your gun out, or when you're at the point where the safety's off...

Easiest decision you've had to make...


Thanks MedTech! I appreciate it.
I am so glad I found this forum made it so much easier going through the process.
CX


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigBoss9, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], petrie91, ummarhamid and 7 guests