Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
tbell33
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby tbell33 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Striker wrote:When I went through in 96 we received a "training allowance" for the duration of CTP. it worked out to around $250 every 2 weeks..
For a single guy living at the RTF..that's a lot of fun money. For a married father of 2 kids traveling back and forth every day 80 km's..it didn't cover my gas..
You do what you need to do if you want it bad enough. If your decision on whether or not you are going to go is based on getting paid for the course or ojt..do all of us that are working inside now a favor and find another job.
Ya..that is cold, rude,etc but I work with enough people now that spend their entire shift hiding from work and complaining about being skipped for overtime or the shift dif is late or they God forbid had to stay until the last minute of their shift. I don't need or want anymore people like that watching my back.
This isn't WalMart folks. People might die based on a decision you might have seconds to make.
I want to know you are switched on and your shit is wired tight before I trust you..

VERY WELL put Striker!!! I am trying to get on with CSC and I totally agree with what you have written above!

Good Job Brother!!!
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Question. Are CO's issued long sleeve shirts or is it all short sleeve? Thanks in advance.

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:46 pm

ProudCanadian wrote:Question. Are CO's issued long sleeve shirts or is it all short sleeve? Thanks in advance.

both

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 pm

totempole wrote:
BigBuck wrote:
totempole wrote:Hello Everybody,

I know of one person who says they're getting UI while on CTP at this time so it can be done.

Does anyone know if personnel selection leave applies to CTP?

I currently work within the public service for an organization other than CSC and have been told by my HR person that CTP doesn't fit the criteria for personnel selection leave.

As far as I can tell CTP is part of the personnel selection process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're already with the Public Service, can you not continue to receive your pay cheque during training? There were a few already in the Public Service during my CTP, and they were receiving their full pay during training . . .

I was told today from my HR person that I could attend CTP but there would be no pay from them during the process.

Were the people on your training that received pay already with CSC or were they coming in from another organization within the public service?

Just to be clear so I don't upset anybody, I knew long ago that there wouldn't be any money from CSC during CTP. That being said the public service agreement where I work now states that employees attending any personnel selection process may be entitled to pay during the process from their current organization. If I'm eligible great, if not then not.

I too came from the Public Service and while on CTP i did not get paid, I was given unpaid leave to attend no problem but being paid is a decision that the people in charge of your department make. Some people get paid by their department because it is related business..such as a Admin staff within CSC somewhere or possibly even by other departments as well that are not related, there is nothing anywhere in PSC that states you MUST be paid for training programs. I was told by my HR that they are not required to pay for the training because it is just that...a training program. It is no longer a selection process as you have already been selected to attend the training.
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Almc wrote:
ProudCanadian wrote:Question. Are CO's issued long sleeve shirts or is it all short sleeve? Thanks in advance.

both

Thanks, Almc. And can you wear the long sleeve only if you want too? I am asking this because I have a rather ugly tattoo that is visible when I am wearing a t-shirt. Nothing racist or anything stupid, just ugly, and would look unprofessional in my opinion. Thanks again.

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:08 pm

ProudCanadian wrote:
Almc wrote:

both

Thanks, Almc. And can you wear the long sleeve only if you want too? I am asking this because I have a rather ugly tattoo that is visible when I am wearing a t-shirt. Nothing racist or anything stupid, just ugly, and would look unprofessional in my opinion. Thanks again.

It's your choice on what style of shirt you would like to wear. They give you many!

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks, Almc. And can you wear the long sleeve only if you want too? I am asking this because I have a rather ugly tattoo that is visible when I am wearing a t-shirt. Nothing racist or anything stupid, just ugly, and would look unprofessional in my opinion. Thanks again.[/quote]

It's your choice on what style of shirt you would like to wear. They give you many![/quote]

Perfect! Thats what I wanted to hear, thank you!

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 am

ProudCanadian wrote:Perfect! Thats what I wanted to hear, thank you!

Ya it's definitely a good thing about CSC. You can wear long sleeve all year, and some do even in the summer. You can wear short sleeve all year like I do because I'm always hot, and you can wear any of your jackets based on your need and not some rediculous rule like other agencies have. Also no ties.....thankfully. Definitely not needed in this environment.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 am

Anyone know how to dress for first day of CTP? business casual....active wear??

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:34 am

boudz wrote:Anyone know how to dress for first day of CTP? business casual....active wear??

... it is a part of your joining instructions AFTER you've passed Written Test for Phase I
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am

BigBuck wrote:
bcfella wrote:Hi all,
I have a question regarding the facility in which people are assigned. I am currently in the recruiting process (Prairie Region), and was wondering at which point, if successful in the process, i would know what facility I would be working at. Living in BC, just trying to plan (if possible) for which province or facility I might have the pleasure of working at in Prairie region? Thanks for any help available.

BCFella

I'd say it's a 99% chance you're going to Grande Cache.

Sometimes you get lucky and find out what joint you're going to before training. Me? I found out 3/4 through training. Others? Couple days before grad.

Actually I just spoke with Prairie Region recruitment staff today and was told unless you applied just for the Grand Cache opening it's very unlikely you will go there. I was wondering the same thing. I had GC as my second on preferred list and said I won't be getting it.
CX

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 am

MedTech wrote:
boudz wrote:Anyone know how to dress for first day of CTP? business casual....active wear??

... it is a part of your joining instructions AFTER you've passed Written Test for Phase I

Got it, thanks!

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Actually I just spoke with Prairie Region recruitment staff today and was told unless you applied just for the Grand Cache opening it's very unlikely you will go there. I was wondering the same thing. I had GC as my second on preferred list and said I won't be getting it.

In my CTP, 14 of 18 are going to alberta and they are fairly evenly distributed between bowden, drum and GC. 2 are going to sask pen and 2 are going to Stoney. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say you will probably end up in bowden or drum.
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm

BravoZulu wrote:
ProudCanadian wrote:Perfect! Thats what I wanted to hear, thank you!

Ya it's definitely a good thing about CSC. You can wear long sleeve all year, and some do even in the summer. You can wear short sleeve all year like I do because I'm always hot, and you can wear any of your jackets based on your need and not some rediculous rule like other agencies have. Also no ties.....thankfully. Definitely not needed in this environment.

BZ

Yea that sounds good to me! I would normally prefer wearing short sleeve aswell, because I am like you and I am always hot. But for this job I will go with the long sleeve year round to cover up my ugly tattoo hahaha. Thanks BZ

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:22 am

what kind of ugly tattoo do you have?