Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
applicant 0017
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby applicant 0017 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:36 am

Hi there,
I am wondering when CSC notifies candidates on which region/institution they are going to be working at? I originally applied for a PW/CX-02 competition in June 2011 and said I was only interested in working on Ontario. After passing the WCPT/In-house exams I was emailed and asked if I would be open to institutions in the Prairies as well, I said yes and now the past 2 weeks things have been moving quickly, I got scheduled for an interview 5 days later, I did my interview last Wednesday in Kingston, passed the reference check on Thursday and my medical is scheduled for next week. I have passed the CAT-III medical twice perviously so I am not concerned about passing it this time.
I realize that everyone's recruitment experience has been different but I am very curious to know where they want to send me, any ideas on when I will know? I have only had contact with Ontario recruitment and I was not asked to rank my preference for institutions in my interview like others were. Any help would be most appreciated!
CSC- Primary Worker
Applied- June 2011
WCPT/In-house- Pass Nov 2011
Interview- Pass Dec 2011
References - Pass Dec 2011
Medical- Pass Jan 2012
CTP Stage 1- Pass Feb 2012

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:29 pm

applicant 0017 wrote:Hi there,
I am wondering when CSC notifies candidates on which region/institution they are going to be working at? I originally applied for a PW/CX-02 competition in June 2011 and said I was only interested in working on Ontario. After passing the WCPT/In-house exams I was emailed and asked if I would be open to institutions in the Prairies as well, I said yes and now the past 2 weeks things have been moving quickly, I got scheduled for an interview 5 days later, I did my interview last Wednesday in Kingston, passed the reference check on Thursday and my medical is scheduled for next week. I have passed the CAT-III medical twice perviously so I am not concerned about passing it this time.
I realize that everyone's recruitment experience has been different but I am very curious to know where they want to send me, any ideas on when I will know? I have only had contact with Ontario recruitment and I was not asked to rank my preference for institutions in my interview like others were. Any help would be most appreciated!

You need to learn is "Hurry up and Wait". Some people don't find out where they are going until graduation from core. Now at this moment you should have been told if you are going to be out west or in Ontario. But since you said "Yes I will go out west". You most likely will be, as they need people out their so bad.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:26 pm

SupahDuck wrote:https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&noBackBtn=true&poster=171975&psrsMode=1

Oh this is interesting......

Candidates must be willing to undertake training in any of our Regional Staff Colleges located in Memramcook, New Brunswick; Laval, Quebec; Kingston, Ontario; Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and Abbotsford, British Columbia as well as the RCMP Training Academy “Depot”, in Regina, Saskatchewan.

And this is new too!

Well that was intersting...

Unsupervised Internet Test (UIT)

Cognitive Ability - Level 1

Applicants must complete the Unsupervised Internet Test of Cognitive Ability - Level 1 as part of the screening phase of this selection process. This test assesses general problem solving and reasoning ability. If your application is selected for further consideration, then your results on this unsupervised test will be followed-up through the administration of a supervised version of a similar test.

You may complete the test in the same environment that you are using to submit the other components of the application (e.g., your home computer).

Once you start the test, you must complete it within 60 minutes. During an extensive evaluation process, we have established that most people require about 20 to 30 minutes to complete this test. It is highly recommended that you carefully review all of the components required to submit an application for this position. This will help you to plan your time accordingly so that you will be able to complete and submit your application, including the unsupervised internet test, before the submission deadline listed on this advertisement.

So set aside at least TWO HOURS to get your application submitted!

bpolan568
Rookie Member

Postby bpolan568 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Was the posting in June the exact same posting that was posted today?

Bruffy
Rookie Member

Postby Bruffy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 pm

bpolan568 wrote:Was the posting in June the exact same posting that was posted today?

I think the June posting was for a PW/CX-02 position. The posting today is for a CX-0I position for various institutions in each region across Canada.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:44 pm

mto823 wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&noBackBtn=true&poster=171975&psrsMode=1

Oh this is interesting......

Candidates must be willing to undertake training in any of our Regional Staff Colleges located in Memramcook, New Brunswick; Laval, Quebec; Kingston, Ontario; Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and Abbotsford, British Columbia as well as the RCMP Training Academy “Depot”, in Regina, Saskatchewan.

And this is new too!

Well that was intersting...

Unsupervised Internet Test (UIT)

Cognitive Ability - Level 1

Applicants must complete the Unsupervised Internet Test of Cognitive Ability - Level 1 as part of the screening phase of this selection process. This test assesses general problem solving and reasoning ability. If your application is selected for further consideration, then your results on this unsupervised test will be followed-up through the administration of a supervised version of a similar test.

You may complete the test in the same environment that you are using to submit the other components of the application (e.g., your home computer).

Once you start the test, you must complete it within 60 minutes. During an extensive evaluation process, we have established that most people require about 20 to 30 minutes to complete this test. It is highly recommended that you carefully review all of the components required to submit an application for this position. This will help you to plan your time accordingly so that you will be able to complete and submit your application, including the unsupervised internet test, before the submission deadline listed on this advertisement.

So set aside at least TWO HOURS to get your application submitted!

I have heard that the process for Corrections is changing again, there will be more involved and i believe psychological testing will be administered more in line with what CBSA does for future hirings. This was just what i was told, I am not a recruiter so can't confirm exactly what is involved. One thing i have learned so far is to expect changes. Policy changes all the time, keeping up is a part of the job, get used to it!! Goodluck to everyone in the process.

edited for grammatical/spelling error
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

Bruffy
Rookie Member

Postby Bruffy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Ongoing changes to the recruiting process and no sign of the COPAT? :thumbsup:
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

darwin
Rookie Member

Postby darwin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:23 pm

I was thinking about the psych changes earlier, no posting ever said a thing about a psych test or eval.

Is this already part of the process? and does the unsupervised test thing have any bearing, or was this just a way to finally test their new screening system that everyone declined in taking part in?

Also, has there alway been a huge pre employment package?

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:27 am

darwin wrote:I was thinking about the psych changes earlier, no posting ever said a thing about a psych test or eval.

Is this already part of the process? and does the unsupervised test thing have any bearing, or was this just a way to finally test their new screening system that everyone declined in taking part in?

Also, has there alway been a huge pre employment package?

You must pass the unsupervised test to apply, also yes the psych evaluation is part of the process of being a cx1. No it never was this exhausting but csc had learned what happens when you don't have a thorough process. Do not be surprised if the process becomes even more difficult.we have so many people applying csc needs to step it up.

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Just recieved my letter of conditional offer! CTP starts January 10! Going to enjoy the upcoming holidays and then start working hard, can't wait!

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:45 pm

boudz wrote:Just recieved my letter of conditional offer! CTP starts January 10! Going to enjoy the upcoming holidays and then start working hard, can't wait!

Congrats, boudz! Where are you doing CTP?
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:03 pm

SupahDuck wrote:
boudz wrote:Just recieved my letter of conditional offer! CTP starts January 10! Going to enjoy the upcoming holidays and then start working hard, can't wait!

Thanks! CTP will be in Kingston, Ontario and if successful heading out to Alberta.

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:01 pm

boudz wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:

Thanks! CTP will be in Kingston, Ontario and if successful heading out to Alberta.

Congrats! :thumbsup: The instructors here in Kingston have been great. I'm just about finished, one more week.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Lucky !! Im only in the middle of week 2 , haha.
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Congrats, boudz! Where are you doing CTP?[/quote]

Thanks! CTP will be in Kingston, Ontario and if successful heading out to Alberta.[/quote]

Congrats! :thumbsup: The instructors here in Kingston have been great. I'm just about finished, one more week.[/quote]

Anyone fail on the range.