Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Ummagumma
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Ummagumma » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:12 pm

tbell33 wrote:I had applied for the posting for "Correctional Officer CX1" for the Grande Cache Institution only competition and still haven't heard anything. Its my first time applying to Fed Corr. can anyone help me out with an expected wait time to hear back?

Thanks Guys!

It's probably faster in Grande Cache because they seem to always be starving for officers, but from my application date to my first pay cheque was almost 17 months. It was 10 months from application to interview. It is not a fast process.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:59 pm

tbell33 wrote:I had applied for the posting for "Correctional Officer CX1" for the Grande Cache Institution only competition and still haven't heard anything. Its my first time applying to Fed Corr. can anyone help me out with an expected wait time to hear back?

Thanks Guys!

I applied as well....have yet to hear anything. Good luck in the process.

Mythos
Rookie Member

Postby Mythos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:51 am

Hi everyone,

I'm writing because I'm in a bit is a pickle. I have been invited to an Interview in on Dec 6. As my signature shows, I have processes running for 2 different agencies (CBSA and CSC). I'm already scheduled from WCPT and In-house testing on that day and time in Kingston. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and turn down one for another as I'm highly interested in both, but I'm lost for a solution. One of the options on the CSC Invitation for the changing the testing date is an existing process conflict literally printed as "Participation in an assessment for another appointment process". Would this be a qualifying process? Any help and/or insight would be appreciative.
CBSA
Interview - Results : FAIL - Re-attempt scheduled for 2016/11/13

CSC
Testing Completed - 2014/09/16 - Awaiting results

peps
Rookie Member

Postby peps » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 am

Mythos wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm writing because I'm in a bit is a pickle. I have been invited to an Interview in on Dec 6. As my signature shows, I have processes running for 2 different agencies (CBSA and CSC). I'm already scheduled from WCPT and In-house testing on that day and time in Kingston. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and turn down one for another as I'm highly interested in both, but I'm lost for a solution. One of the options on the CSC Invitation for the changing the testing date is an existing process conflict literally printed as "Participation in an assessment for another appointment process". Would this be a qualifying process? Any help and/or insight would be appreciative.

I assume the interview is with CBSA. I would talk to CSC and tell them what as happened and see if they can find you another time for the testing.

Good luck with the interview
CX II

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:49 am

Yes
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Hello, I am currently enrolled in a correctional worker program and I am wondering if anyone here knows about provincial corrections? My program seems to focus only on CSC, which I dont mind at all, I'd just like to get some info about the provincial institutions, like how the training works and any major differences between working in a federal institute and a provincial institute. Thanks for any info you guys/gals can give me

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:01 pm

ProudCanadian wrote:Hello, I am currently enrolled in a correctional worker program and I am wondering if anyone here knows about provincial corrections? My program seems to focus only on CSC, which I dont mind at all, I'd just like to get some info about the provincial institutions, like how the training works and any major differences between working in a federal institute and a provincial institute. Thanks for any info you guys/gals can give me

What province?

Never heard of a Correctional Worker program...
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:04 pm

MedTech wrote:
ProudCanadian wrote:Hello, I am currently enrolled in a correctional worker program and I am wondering if anyone here knows about provincial corrections? My program seems to focus only on CSC, which I dont mind at all, I'd just like to get some info about the provincial institutions, like how the training works and any major differences between working in a federal institute and a provincial institute. Thanks for any info you guys/gals can give me

What province?

Never heard of a Correctional Worker program...

I am in Ontario. Its a 2 year college course that allows me to do a 4 month placement in any institution I want (provided they accept student placements). I understand you only need your grade 12 to apply but I've heard many people take college or uni programs now for applying to corrections.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm

ProudCanadian wrote:I am in Ontario. Its a 2 year college course that allows me to do a 4 month placement in any institution I want (provided they accept student placements). I understand you only need your grade 12 to apply but I've heard many people take college or uni programs now for applying to corrections.

The more education you have won't hurt you. The RCMP only requires Gr.12 education as well, but to be competetive many are entering the recruitment process with Diplomas and Degrees. The same thing is happening with CSC.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:15 pm

MedTech wrote:
ProudCanadian wrote:I am in Ontario. Its a 2 year college course that allows me to do a 4 month placement in any institution I want (provided they accept student placements). I understand you only need your grade 12 to apply but I've heard many people take college or uni programs now for applying to corrections.

The more education you have won't hurt you. The RCMP only requires Gr.12 education as well, but to be competetive many are entering the recruitment process with Diplomas and Degrees. The same thing is happening with CSC.

Yep, I agree. What really caught my attention was the placement. I understand it would be difficult to be hired with no experience in the field. Are you familiar with prov. corrections at all?

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:00 pm

ProudCanadian wrote:Yep, I agree. What really caught my attention was the placement. I understand it would be difficult to be hired with no experience in the field. Are you familiar with prov. corrections at all?

You do not need any experience in the field of Corrections as we will train you. This is the same for Federal, but I will let my Ontario Corrections brethren talk to you about them.

There are several Ontario Corrections members on here, and as soon as one of them reads your question, I'm sure they'd be happy to share.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:18 pm

MedTech wrote:
ProudCanadian wrote:Yep, I agree. What really caught my attention was the placement. I understand it would be difficult to be hired with no experience in the field. Are you familiar with prov. corrections at all?

You do not need any experience in the field of Corrections as we will train you. This is the same for Federal, but I will let my Ontario Corrections brethren talk to you about them.

There are several Ontario Corrections members on here, and as soon as one of them reads your question, I'm sure they'd be happy to share.

Sounds good to me! Thank you very much MedTech

tbell33
Rookie Member

Postby tbell33 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 am

Currently Ontario Provincival Corrections is reviewing the recruitement process for COs. Continue checking this following link for helpful information.

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/ ... e_off.html
"The Wolf Is Here Ladies & Gentlemen"

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:27 pm

Anyone heading to CTP in Abbotsford starting Dec 5th ?
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

Mythos
Rookie Member

Postby Mythos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 pm

Mully wrote:

Yes

Ok well I sent a email requesting the change if possible due the said reason with the proof as required. I have yet to hear anything... Can/should I call or just hold. I'm worried as it was scheduled for Tuesday. Anyone have any insight to this unique problem?
CBSA
Interview - Results : FAIL - Re-attempt scheduled for 2016/11/13

CSC
Testing Completed - 2014/09/16 - Awaiting results