Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
MedTech
Grand Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby MedTech » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 pm

applicant 0017 wrote:Hi there,
Not sure if this is the way to post a question but I'm going to give it a try...
I applied for a CX-02 Primary Worker competition in June, wrote the WCPT and in-house exams in October and 2 weeks ago found out I scored 42/50. The email said I passed and that I would be contacted about the next stage in the process but not to contact them for further information, recruitment will contact me. I am extremely eager to work for CSC and am wondering how long I should wait before it would be acceptable to contact recruitment about when they may be conducting interviews?
I live in Ontario and applied only to institutions in Ontario, if that helps.
Thanks to all that have posted information on here, it has been very helpful to know what to expect in the next couple stages of this exciting process!

I don't get it... aren't you a BSO? According to your nicely laid out chart there...
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

applicant 0017
Rookie Member

Postby applicant 0017 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:19 pm

MedTech wrote:
applicant 0017 wrote:Hi there,
Not sure if this is the way to post a question but I'm going to give it a try...
I applied for a CX-02 Primary Worker competition in June, wrote the WCPT and in-house exams in October and 2 weeks ago found out I scored 42/50. The email said I passed and that I would be contacted about the next stage in the process but not to contact them for further information, recruitment will contact me. I am extremely eager to work for CSC and am wondering how long I should wait before it would be acceptable to contact recruitment about when they may be conducting interviews?
I live in Ontario and applied only to institutions in Ontario, if that helps.
Thanks to all that have posted information on here, it has been very helpful to know what to expect in the next couple stages of this exciting process!

I don't get it... aren't you a BSO? According to your nicely laid out chart there...

I am a Student BSO... I've worked 3-4 month contracts at a time while in school... I'm graduating university in December and therefore will no longer be eligible to work at CBSA. GTA region of CBSA is only hiring bilingual officers at this time and while I have been studying French and obtained a "B" level on the reading test I haven't been able to get a "B" in writing yet so at this time I can't be bridged into a full time officer. I have 6 years of post secondary education in the law enforcement/criminology field so I really want a career where I can put that education to use and corrections was my career of choice all along.
CSC- Primary Worker
Applied- June 2011
WCPT/In-house- Pass Nov 2011
Interview- Pass Dec 2011
References - Pass Dec 2011
Medical- Pass Jan 2012
CTP Stage 1- Pass Feb 2012

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:24 pm

applicant 0017 wrote:
MedTech wrote:I don't get it... aren't you a BSO? According to your nicely laid out chart there...

I am a Student BSO... I've worked 3-4 month contracts at a time while in school... I'm graduating university in December and therefore will no longer be eligible to work at CBSA. GTA region of CBSA is only hiring bilingual officers at this time and while I have been studying French and obtained a "B" level on the reading test I haven't been able to get a "B" in writing yet so at this time I can't be bridged into a full time officer. I have 6 years of post secondary education in the law enforcement/criminology field so I really want a career where I can put that education to use and corrections was my career of choice all along.

Ah, I guess I missed the S infront of BSO.

Bridging no longer an option there in GTA?

Don't contact recuriting for CSC. They will contact you when they do. You could be one amongst many who've applied and gotten the pass on the test.

It's common to wait several months before hearing.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Read back through this thread. Ontario region is not hiring for the foreseeable future, so anyone currently in the pool will not be hearing anything for a long time yet.

That's why people from the Ontario pool were offered positions out West.

Makes me wonder why they even bothered running this latest round of competitions if they knew they weren't going to be proceeding with it.....

In other words, don't hold your breath waiting for CSC to pan out. Find something else to do in the meantime.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

peps
Rookie Member

Postby peps » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Just received an e-mail asking if I could come to testing on Dec. 6 in Kingston. I applied in the spring of this year for an Ontario position.
CX II

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Oh I'm pretty sure they're still populating the pool of candidates (I have one friend who did the tests and interview), but they're not actually filling any CTP classes yet, for the Ontario region.

All of the Ontario institutions are full up on their rosters.... there's nowhere to put you when you graduate.

And it's going to be like that for a while yet......

For everyone's sake, I hope that things ramp up again soon....
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:00 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Oh I'm pretty sure they're still populating the pool of candidates (I have one friend who did the tests and interview), but they're not actually filling any CTP classes yet, for the Ontario region.

All of the Ontario institutions are full up on their rosters.... there's nowhere to put you when you graduate.

The CTP that just finished here, most filled up spots in Ontario. My CTP, all the possible CX1s are heading out west and the PWs are staying. The core behind us is pretty much filled with PWs. So it might seem that if you were picky about where you wanted to go as a CX1, you could be hanging around for a while waiting.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:11 am

SupahDuck wrote:Oh I'm pretty sure they're still populating the pool of candidates (I have one friend who did the tests and interview), but they're not actually filling any CTP classes yet, for the Ontario region.

Aren't all of the ONT jails getting new living units as per the Conservatives justice bill? All of our PAC jails are getting new units which will require CO's. I have heard that the next CTP to go through here will be going to the PRA though so maybe CSC is hoping that any ONT candidates would be willing to move if they want the job bad enough.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

Mythos
Rookie Member

Postby Mythos » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 am

:alright: Just been invited to In-House/WCPT testing at Queens University on the 6th. I'm looking forward to advancing my process. Good luck to all the Invitees.
CBSA
Interview - Results : FAIL - Re-attempt scheduled for 2016/11/13

CSC
Testing Completed - 2014/09/16 - Awaiting results

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:39 am

BravoZulu wrote:

Aren't all of the ONT jails getting new living units as per the Conservatives justice bill? All of our PAC jails are getting new units which will require CO's. I have heard that the next CTP to go through here will be going to the PRA though so maybe CSC is hoping that any ONT candidates would be willing to move if they want the job bad enough.

BZ

Yeah but it's going to be *at least* a year (or three) before they're actually built and open (if the recent experience at Collins Bay is any example). They haven't broken ground on any of the new units yet..... still all prep work (fencing, grading, etc).

It's going to be a while yet.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi, new to this post. I recently put in for the Alberta posting with CSC. I was a CO in Yellowknife then returned to Ontario with MTO. How many postings are ongoing right now? Is the pool similar to what is going on with CBSA and expect a long drawn out process?

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Prairie region seems like its the only one with movement lately... I applied in the april posting and am heading to training in december... Ive been speaking with a few other applicants who applied in the april process from prairie and they are slated to head to training in January... Hope that helps, good luck :thumbsup:
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:40 pm

mto823 wrote:Hi, new to this post. I recently put in for the Alberta posting with CSC. I was a CO in Yellowknife then returned to Ontario with MTO. How many postings are ongoing right now? Is the pool similar to what is going on with CBSA and expect a long drawn out process?

Yes.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:39 am

MedTech wrote:
mto823 wrote:Hi, new to this post. I recently put in for the Alberta posting with CSC. I was a CO in Yellowknife then returned to Ontario with MTO. How many postings are ongoing right now? Is the pool similar to what is going on with CBSA and expect a long drawn out process?

Yes.

The quickest I've heard so far was my experience. From the day I applied, to the day I finished OJT and signed on, was 1 year, almost to the day.

I've yet to hear faster than that.

TripleChev

Postby TripleChev » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:34 am

BigBuck wrote:
MedTech wrote:

Yes.

The quickest I've heard so far was my experience. From the day I applied, to the day I finished OJT and signed on, was 1 year, almost to the day.

I've yet to hear faster than that.

Sweet...thanks guys.