Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
crimgradab13
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby crimgradab13 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Was just wondering about the timing of CORE(s)... I know the next Prairie Region CORE starts November 22... Does the next CORE start immediately afterwards or do they overlap?
Applied: April 2011
WCPT/ In-House Exam: May 2011 - passed
Interview: August 2011 - passed
Reference Check(s): September 2011 - passed
Medical: November 2011 - passed
Stage 1: November 2011 - passed
Stage 2: December 2011
Stage 3: January 17, 2012

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:59 pm

crimgradab13 wrote:Was just wondering about the timing of CORE(s)... I know the next Prairie Region CORE starts November 22... Does the next CORE start immediately afterwards or do they overlap?

Some overlap a bit...there is no exact period in between. Although they seem to be running more frequently now.

applicant349
Rookie Member

Postby applicant349 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:09 am

just wondering as im in ontario but am going through the process for prairie region, IF i am successful in the next stages of the process, would my CTP generally be in kingston or in a prairie region?

EDIT: im only just about to be taking my in house testing this coming friday (nov 18th), just as a guideline on where i am in the process.
CSC:
applied: april 2011
in-house: november 18, 2011

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 am

applicant349 wrote:just wondering as im in ontario but am going through the process for prairie region, IF i am successful in the next stages of the process, would my CTP generally be in kingston or in a prairie region?

EDIT: im only just about to be taking my in house testing this coming friday (nov 18th), just as a guideline on where i am in the process.

It's difficult to say where the classroom / range portion of CTP will be for you, as this "taking applicants from the dormant Ontario pool and offering them positions in Prairie competitions" thinger is brand new for the Ontario region, at least in recent memory.

Last summer the Ontario Staff College hosted I think three or four CTP's for the Prairies region, but it was all recruits from out west that came here and shacked up for the twelve weeks, and then went back. This is the first time that I've seen where they're poaching Ontario folk for out west, so there really isn't any precedent that we can fall back on for advice.

Because of the distances involved, I'm sure the recruiting officers will keep you well advised as to the locations of your training..... if you're only at the "in-house" testing phase, you're still early in the game yet. There'll be an interview after that, and then the first two stages of CTP are computer-based / work-from-home deals, where technically you could do them from anywhere in the country.

Only after that do you join your classmates in a classroom with the instructors. You've got plenty of time to figure it out.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:45 am

SupahDuck wrote:
applicant349 wrote:just wondering as im in ontario but am going through the process for prairie region, IF i am successful in the next stages of the process, would my CTP generally be in kingston or in a prairie region?

I was told the next CTP classes for Prairie are Jan 10th in Kingston and Jan 17th In Saskatoon.
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 am

Supahduck, 12 weeks? I thought Stage 3 was only 8/9 weeks?

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:26 am

Mully wrote:Supahduck, 12 weeks? I thought Stage 3 was only 8/9 weeks?

This was before they did the online training for the first part, where EVERYTHING was done in the classroom and on the range...... might have been a couple of years ago now.....

I'm getting old..... :P
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:18 pm

In school is about 9 weeks.

From my first day of online, to my completion of OJT, was 4 months to the day.

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Is anyone else doing stage 1 for prairie region right now ???

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Mully wrote:Is anyone else doing stage 1 for prairie region right now ???

That'd be me! I'm on Stage 1 online, about to start course 5. And lovin' it!

*And looks like, if I pass, I'll be heading to Saskatoon....currently living in Ontario.

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:38 pm

boudz wrote:
Mully wrote:Is anyone else doing stage 1 for prairie region right now ???

That'd be me! I'm on Stage 1 online, about to start course 5. And lovin' it!

*And looks like, if I pass, I'll be heading to Saskatoon....currently living in Ontario.

Do you have PM's disabled boudz?

stamp33
Rookie Member

Postby stamp33 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Does anyone know when the next ctp class is scheduled to be here in pac region? reading these post I realize that there is one happening right now but is anyone from the lowermainland waiting to do their online training or phase 1 as well?

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:17 am

stamp33 wrote:Does anyone know when the next ctp class is scheduled to be here in pac region? reading these post I realize that there is one happening right now but is anyone from the lowermainland waiting to do their online training or phase 1 as well?

The next one is starting Dec 5th but its a prairie region class... So I would assume the next class for PAC wouldnt be until Mid-late february at earliest.

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 am

Anyone on here work at Stoney Mountain? Can you PM me please? Thanks

applicant 0017
Rookie Member

Postby applicant 0017 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi there,
Not sure if this is the way to post a question but I'm going to give it a try...
I applied for a CX-02 Primary Worker competition in June, wrote the WCPT and in-house exams in October and 2 weeks ago found out I scored 42/50. The email said I passed and that I would be contacted about the next stage in the process but not to contact them for further information, recruitment will contact me. I am extremely eager to work for CSC and am wondering how long I should wait before it would be acceptable to contact recruitment about when they may be conducting interviews?
I live in Ontario and applied only to institutions in Ontario, if that helps.
Thanks to all that have posted information on here, it has been very helpful to know what to expect in the next couple stages of this exciting process!
CSC- Primary Worker
Applied- June 2011
WCPT/In-house- Pass Nov 2011
Interview- Pass Dec 2011
References - Pass Dec 2011
Medical- Pass Jan 2012
CTP Stage 1- Pass Feb 2012