Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Whitebrown
Sage Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Whitebrown » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 pm

boudz wrote:Just got an email this evening asking if I was still interested in the Prairie Region and if so to indicate my order preference between four different locations! Since I'm pretty open to working anywhere in Canada, I'm happy!

Nice to see. All the "Occupy" people could learn a thing from you.

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:25 am

Whitebrown wrote:
boudz wrote:Just got an email this evening asking if I was still interested in the Prairie Region and if so to indicate my order preference between four different locations! Since I'm pretty open to working anywhere in Canada, I'm happy!

YES! I moved 4000 km away from all my family, friends, and even for 3 months, my wife for this career. . .

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:00 am

J_Brian wrote:Just to clear things up here...

I am half way through CTP in the Prairie Region and KNOW that my class is the first class to receive travel expenses paid for by CSC. I am training with several people from all around Canada who have had their flight paid for or their road trip paid for, depending on how you choose to get there.

So that means from my class on, recruits WILL be paid for their travel expenses. If you are driving there I am not certain what you are given. But my flight ticket was something I had to print off and give to the clerk at Air Canada.

You are also given a total of $5000 for relocation expenses after you pass CTP and OJT. You will be reimbursed this amount after you fill out all the paper work required and submit your receipts.

I have seen people on the CTP that started before me (Travel expenses not covered) get released and have to pay their own way home. The course is no joke, you can't saunter in there and think you can half-a** your way to grad. So take it seriously, study daily, and save the partying for when you have a reason to celebrate... At the end. No matter where you are in this city you are under the eye of the public. They have a way of finding out if you have done something that would reflect poorly on the service.

Another important thing aside from all the BOOK stuff. Make sure you work on flexibility and just try and become a little more active if you aren't already. People have been dropping like flies doing self-defense. If you aren't used to physical activity, and impact on your body you might make it near the end of this and get hurt in self-defense which seems to take place closer to the end of everything. Which means you go home. You arent doing sprints or man-makers or even running. But you are falling, rolling, twisting and if your body isnt used to having the type of range of motion what do you think will happen when you actually have to do it for the first time in years?

Another thing. Read the mission statement and learn it. Live by it. I have seen people go simply by carrying themselves in this super-cop "we're here to punish offenders" attitude. Or have a condescending approach to offenders. Set those feelings aside if they do exist because they'll pick up on it, and you WILL go home.

AND bring something with you like a laptop or PS3 for AFTER studying. You have lots of time to spend in your room and take it from me, you get bored fast.

One more thing... if you aren't comfortable speaking in front of a crowd, or using a louder tone of voice. Get used to it. You're going to need it. Annnnd... NO YOU DON'T RECEIVE PAY DURING TRAINING. You get hotel, food, and a bus pass to get you to where you need to go.

EXCELLENT information. Thank you very much for sharing. If there is anything else you think people should know or might not think about...it would be great if you shared. Like something that once you got to CTP you said "Oh crap....I hadn't even thought about that!".

Even if no further info is shared....thanks a pile for what you have already shared!

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:04 am

I am half way through CTP in the Prairie Region ......

Didn't want to quote everything again...but I had a question for you. If travel expenses are paid for out-of-province folk to get to CTP...is it also paid to get back home and/or to OJT?
This has been one of the logistical issues I have been stressing a bit over. Do I go to CTP, come home...then go to OJT? Or do I go to CTP, then to OJT...then have some time to go home and actually move?
Financing the move and travel and finding the time to do it are my biggest concerns right now. I assume these concerns will fade once I start Stage 1....then I'll have something to focus on!

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:05 am

BigBuck wrote:
Whitebrown wrote:

YES! I moved 4000 km away from all my family, friends, and even for 3 months, my wife for this career. . .

Thanks! I'm stoked! It might still be awhile before I hear anything and I may also have to move first alone and then have my family follow, but we've been through worse things...and to me, it's all worth it.

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Got an email today saying that there will be CX-1 postings very soon for:
1. Grande Cache only.
2. __________ only.
3. Aboriginals only.
4. Visible Minority only.

So be on the lookout for those postings if you're looking to apply.
Someone fill in that blank please. :P I don't have that email on me at the moment.
Last edited by Fides on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

bcfella
Rookie Member

Postby bcfella » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:59 pm

I also got an email asking if I was willing to accept offer from Prairie region. I happily accepted. Mine did not ask any preferences of location though. Was wondering if anyone else got the email similar to mine or Boudz?
CX 1

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 am

bcfella wrote:

I also got an email asking if I was willing to accept offer from Prairie region. I happily accepted. Mine did not ask any preferences of location though. Was wondering if anyone else got the email similar to mine or Boudz?

good luck bc fella
Gaoler

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:56 am

bcfella wrote:

I got the same email and it didn't ask for preferences either, just said Prairie Region.

Which leads me to a question. I have been fully assessed in the Grande Cache only competition. This email is regarding a Canada-wide competition asking if I would change my preferences to include the Prairie Region. I am assuming the action I should take is to reply stating I am currently in the process for the Grande Cache only competition, right?

I suppose I could state this and also state I am willing to consider other areas in the Prairie Region....unless that would be frowned upon?

Ummagumma
Rookie Member

Postby Ummagumma » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:13 am

Slo wrote:

I am half way through CTP in the Prairie Region ......

Didn't want to quote everything again...but I had a question for you. If travel expenses are paid for out-of-province folk to get to CTP...is it also paid to get back home and/or to OJT?
This has been one of the logistical issues I have been stressing a bit over. Do I go to CTP, come home...then go to OJT? Or do I go to CTP, then to OJT...then have some time to go home and actually move?
Financing the move and travel and finding the time to do it are my biggest concerns right now. I assume these concerns will fade once I start Stage 1....then I'll have something to focus on!

Well, it looks like things are changing, but when I went through we finished CTP one day and were on OJT the next. There was no time in between. Many of my colleagues were from out of province, but they weren't provided any additional time to get moved to their area (and, once OJT started, they were on their own in terms of accommodation etc). That may depend according to your institution and the scheduling there, but be prepared for that eventuality.

Mythos
Rookie Member

Postby Mythos » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I got a the email regarding consideration for the general Prairie Region as well yesterday afternoon. To be honest I thought I was out of the running as I hadn't heard anything since I applied in April. So for me it is good news to be still considered in the running. I haven't any clue what to expect next. I'm going to start rereading older posts to see what happens at this point considering the last time applied, I failed the interview in Kingston by the smallest of margins (thank you last minute shift from my employer). I reapplied in April, but considering I have heard nothing about the testing or anything or even if I was accepted, I thought I had failed and was not in. Considering I'm in Ontario, will they do all this more locally then another province. I'm starting to reread, but I figured I should ask considering changes happen all the time.
CBSA
Interview - Results : FAIL - Re-attempt scheduled for 2016/11/13

CSC
Testing Completed - 2014/09/16 - Awaiting results

Cantsing
Rookie Member

Postby Cantsing » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Fides wrote:Got an email today saying that there will be CX-1 postings very soon for:
1. Grande Cache only.
2. __________ only.
3. Aboriginals only.

Someone fill in that blank please. :P I don't have that email on me at the moment.

Port Cartier

Cantsing
Rookie Member

Postby Cantsing » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Which leads me to a question. I have been fully assessed in the Grande Cache only competition. This email is regarding a Canada-wide competition asking if I would change my preferences to include the Prairie Region. I am assuming the action I should take is to reply stating I am currently in the process for the Grande Cache only competition, right?

I suppose I could state this and also state I am willing to consider other areas in the Prairie Region....unless that would be frowned upon?

Would not be frowned upon.

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Cantsing wrote:
Fides wrote:Got an email today saying that there will be CX-1 postings very soon for:
1. Grande Cache only.
2. __________ only.
3. Aboriginals only.

Port Cartier

Thanks ;)
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:08 pm

My husband who applied the same time I did for the Ontario region received an email yesterday as well regarding consideration for the general Prairie Region. He is turning it down as I have passed everything here in Kingston and am waiting to hear when my training will start. We were both surprised that he received the email as we figured when he didn't hear about the exams when I did we figured that was it for him.