Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
supersean
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby supersean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:16 pm

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:19 pm

supersean wrote:So i am in pretty good shape, i woke out quite often and do alot of heavy lifting at work, running is no problem when you have a young german shepherd who loves to go outside :D , just wondering what would be more beneficial to me, working on more upper body strength or work more on running

With regards to CTP training? I'd recommend yoga so you can work on your flexibility, cardio isn't a big requirement during the training. You definitely want flexible shoulders, wrists, etc, and to be able to hold a squat position for 20-40 seconds while keeping your balance.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:27 pm

darthbosco wrote:
pdubbu wrote:
Gaoler wrote:
Offended by my comments, really....I didn't say anything offensive though. I simply asked a question about your statement, I wasn't trying to offend you, just wanted to create some health discussion/debate and get another point of view to acquire a better perspective.

I am not sure what's backwards about my statement, perhaps you read something further into it or added a tone that wasn't intended.

I don't quite follow how anything I've said doesn't agree with Canadian values/ideals either, let's be honest here...what are traditional Canadian values, they have changed drastically and have become very blurred over the past 10 years.

WOW! If these comments offend you in any way, Corrections is NOT the job for you. pdubbu's comments were dead on, the colour of your skin or your ethnicity should have nothing to do with being hired for this job. I don't care if my partners are green and from Mars, as long as they've got my back and I've got theirs. In fact it is offensive to all of us who do the job and were hired based on merit and experience, that you think status should have any part in recruiting. It should always be based on the best person for the job. As for your comments about "canadian value and ideals." Spoken like a true con-loving, liberal voting csc manager.

supahduck is right.......ee is here to stay whether you like it or not. even the police has ee mandates as part of its recruitment. rightfully so, a police force should represent the make up of its society demographics and cultural ethnicities. csc like any other fed govt public service should also represent it's inmate population. judging on the stats provided by supahduck, it's pretty bang on.....visible minorities are represented in the work force because of ee and so are the visible majorities in proportion.

darthbosco, fyi, i am a co in the provincial system and i am not a "con-loving, liberal voting csc manager". i think the way the cons are treated to lenient in canada, but i still recognize ee as an important factor in recruitment. we all wear different hats constantly. there are issues that i agree with the mgmt and other issues i am with the front line staff. it's not us vs them, but it's about working together to achieve a common goal.........keeping the public safe and those who work in the prison safe.

I understand why you were offended by my post now....you're having trouble getting through the process, if you cozy up and play nice I am sure people would be more willing to try and help you out with things.

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:42 pm

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:44 pm

supersean wrote: The clearance is pretty much up to the RCMP who runs it, are they in jail because of it? because thats where it will make a difference if any

supersean... I've reminded you before, and I'll remind you again. You don't know what you're talking about, because you yourself are going through the process. The RCMP does not conduct our clearance checks, we do it in house. Stop giving out wrong info or misleading info.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:59 pm

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:54 pm

[quote="supersean]And i'll have you know i do have friends working in CSC, so i would appreciate it if you let me be, i am not giving out any bad information, i am simply telling what i was told. Do you work in staffing or recruiting?[/quote]

Great attitude. When youre told something against what you believe is right you're just going to whine?

You are an APPLICANT. I dont know how much clearer you need that explained to you. You have NO experience with the service other then what you have personally experienced thus far. So feel free to share what you have gone through, but not pass on seco d and third hand info which you have no way of varifying.

You have friends that work in CSC? congrats, what do they do? I have friends working in more deparments then i could count on both my hands. This does not make me knowledgeable about their practices and the way they do things. Another words you dont work for CSC, so offer up what you got that you've personally gone through and leave everything else for yourself.

I dont work in staffing or recruiting. If you want to ignore my advice based on that then be my guest. What i'm politely been trying to tell you is to stay in your lane. IF you pass... You'll quickly learn an attitude and offering up opinions when you've got no service will earn you a wicked name. Oh... People won't tell you to stay in your lane politely... They'll either just tell you to STFU or not help you and watch you drawn and fail. Your choice.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:11 pm

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Gaoler, let me be clear..... I feel the EE system as it's currently implemented in the Federal Public Service is completely broken, because it emphasizes the quotas over everything else. Merit, skill and performance don't even enter into the equation, which is wrong.

And this is happening not only in the public-facing CX-1 competitions that many are in the process of doing, but also for any other internal competitions after you get hired. So someone fresh off the street who meets EE criteria will get the job over someone who has lots of experience and wisdom about the job, simply because a senior manager wants brownie points from his boss, not because that senior manager wants to run an effective and experienced organization.

I don't agree with EE, because it's not achieving its stated purpose, for one, and secondly because it's actually harming the safety and security of the institution by not promoting / encouraging the most competent and experienced officers to positions of authority and mentoring.

The pendulum has swung way too far in the wrong direction, and I state that as a member of one of the EE groups.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:18 pm

MedTech wrote:
J_Brian wrote:That being said... Are there facilities provided to recruits while on CTP for fitness?

Oh yes! It's called THE ROAD. You should visit it if you would like to increase your cardio, which I would highly recommend. Doing 30sec sprints across large distances... say... 40 meters, then drop down and do push ups until you die, and then do situps until you die, then repeat.

What this will simulate for you is the response to an emergency. Getting to the emergency and having to fight gasping, and then trying to get off the ground because you screwed up and now you're underneath the attacker. Sounds simple eh? It's cheap! It's... FREE!!!

J_Brian wrote:Saskatoon in particular. Also what kind of equipment? Weight training, heavy bags, treadmills? Anything like that?

The road...

J_Brian wrote:Just wondering what kind of personal pt equipment is provided.

You'll get it when you get it. You'll know when you get it.

J_Brian wrote:Also given nature of employment, things like social networking sites... Frowned upon? Instructed to use more discretion?

What do you think? Now seriously... THINK... HARD...

J_Brian wrote:Answers I'm sure I'll get sooner or later just figured id ask.

It's funny because some people never do...

J_Brian wrote:Thanks in advance.

No need... if you make it... just make sure you don't let your fellow officers down, shoot when you need to, fight when you need to, and most of all, go home at the end of the shift. That'll be thanks enough.

J_Brian wrote:Got my log in information today for stage 1. Start it Monday

Time management... the sooner you get it done, the better off you'll be.

The sarcastic replies in this thread are starting to get old. While running is great for mental toughness, it's damaging to the feet, ankles, knees and back (i would know, Doctors have sidelined me from running for the last 3 months.....mad). Burpees, hillsprints, and high intensity hiking will do you far better when having to fight. (not to mention the ability to keep a cool head to pace yourself and to avoid the adrenaline dump)...

Some agencies provide full gyms for staff to maintain fitness...Some as well don't have issues with social networking sites within reason. These questions aren't totally out of the blue and the negative sarcastic comments just turn this from a helpful learning tool into a ---- measuring contest. :crazy:

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 pm

mc7719 wrote:Question for some of those that have applied in the PAC region... wondering if they've continued callbacks/interviews etc. since the last public posting in the spring... My brother applied then and hasn't heard anything. (I myself have 5 years in at CSC) I don't have any connections in Recruiting anymore to ask lol

Far as I know, only two CTP classes were run, one at Depot, and one here (gradding Aug 19). And I find it hard to believe that's all they're putting through with the hiring goals they want to meet.

Pac here.. someone had their interview back in june.. they've been interviewing people i know throughout july and into august.. seemed to be alphabetical. a was in june and m's and o's were two weeks ago.. R still hasn't been emailed for their interviews and i'm later on in the alphabet with NO word yet... kinda getting nervous as I've had other job opps and a vacation in mid september (will be out of country :banghead: )

crimstudent82
Rookie Member

Postby crimstudent82 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm an "R" and still waiting for an interview.
Applied to CSC: April. 13. 2011
In-House/WCPT-351: Wrote May. 14.2011
In-House/WCPT-351: Passed Jun.15.2011
Interview: waiting