Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Prairie_candidate
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Prairie_candidate » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Are there any Native CXs here? Does the process differ for Native candidates? (I was exempt from writing the English test because of my status) what are working conditions like for Native CXs? Do they work with "white and other" CXs or are they assigned to Healing Lodges?
thanks! :)

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:05 am

Prairie_candidate wrote:Are there any Native CXs here? Does the process differ for Native candidates? (I was exempt from writing the English test because of my status) what are working conditions like for Native CXs? Do they work with "white and other" CXs or are they assigned to Healing Lodges?

Why? do you want special treament because of your status? Working conditions are the same for all officers. Black white chinese native. All human beings and all correctional officers.

I do not agree with the standards being different based on the colour of your skins. Everyone should be equal. Candacy should be based on marrit not origin.

You should not have an advantage nor disadvantage. I am disappointed you were not required to write the english test like everyone else. That is not something to be proud of.

Positions like this need to be earned not handed out.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:19 am

Apollo wrote:
Prairie_candidate wrote:Are there any Native CXs here? Does the process differ for Native candidates? (I was exempt from writing the English test because of my status) what are working conditions like for Native CXs? Do they work with "white and other" CXs or are they assigned to Healing Lodges?

Why? do you want special treament because of your status? Working conditions are the same for all officers. Black white chinese native. All human beings and all correctional officers.

I do not agree with the standards being different based on the colour of your skins. Everyone should be equal. Candacy should be based on marrit not origin.

You should not have an advantage nor disadvantage. I am disappointed you were not required to write the english test like everyone else. That is not something to be proud of.

Positions like this need to be earned not handed out.

hi all, i am not first nations myself and i think that most of us reasonable folks all expect the hiring to be based on merit. however, i do think that the first nations status and other employment equity should be taken into consideration during hiring. as for the english test, i agree that no matter what status one has or doesn't have.......u gotta write it like everyone else.
Gaoler

p.r
Rookie Member

Postby p.r » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:56 am

Prairie_candidate wrote:Any CXs here that work or have worked in the Prairie Region? if, so I was wondering which institution you would recommend. I was thinking about Edmonton Institution as my first choice. Any comments????

Edmonton is a great institution. A lot of action, lots of different dynamics.

Where are you from? If its from the Atlantic province, just don't tell any other officers you plan on transfering back... its looked down upon, as they have a hard time finding staff who will stay.

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:37 am

Lynks wrote:
supersean wrote:Hey guys just got my invite to CTP :D for BC starting stage 1 in 2 weeks, just wondering how many of you worked at did the online training as well? just want to know if its something i can do in my days and nights off or should i drop a day per week to get it all done

Hey supersean, looks like we'll be going through our stages together- I received my invite to CTP for PAC this morning as well. I know several COs that worked full time through out the online portion and I plan to as well. Best of luck to you!

I was under the impression you had to have completed the medical portion before being invited to CTP? Can anyone confirm from recruiting??
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

Prairie_candidate
Rookie Member

Postby Prairie_candidate » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:13 am

I am from Toronto.I think I got misunderstood a bit. I applied for the Prarie Region posting last year which was open only for Native applicants/visible minorities and women. Which means that you are exempt from the English test and you write a shortened version of the in-house test, than I did my interview in Kingston, references checked, medical and fingerprints. I also applied for the National posting this year(open for everyone), I passed both the English test and the regular in-house test, again did the interview in Kingston. But I decided to withdraw from the National since I didn't see any reason for repeating the medical and fingerprinting again. (didn't want to spend extra time and money on them) I didn't see any reason in doing 2 CTPs. and I would like to move to the Prairie Region.

ArmouredSoup
Rookie Member

Postby ArmouredSoup » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I just finished the online portion of the training, I was able to work fulltime and complete the training without too much difficulty. It truly is just time management, try to do a few hours each day and you will finish it early. Leave it to the end, and you will not have any time to study for the test.

I am writing my test tomorrow in Kingston, actually just taking a break from studying right now.

Hopefully if all goes well tomorrow, then I will start CTP in Saskatoon on the 30th of August.

I have decided that I am going to take my car out to CTP. If anyone else starting on the 30th needs a ride out from the GTA / Niagara Region, and wants to pitch in for gas, I was planning on cutting through Michigan, and probably stopping at a motel for one night halfway. I have an old mustang, so it will be cozy. If this works for you, and you don't have too much luggage, please send me a PM.

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:21 pm

ArmouredSoup wrote:I am writing my test tomorrow in Kingston, actually just taking a break from studying right now.

Hopefully if all goes well tomorrow, then I will start CTP in Saskatoon on the 30th of August.

Good luck tomorrow on the test. I was just wondering what areas you applied for? I was curious if they were sending the Ontario people for training out west?

Thanks

ArmouredSoup
Rookie Member

Postby ArmouredSoup » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Kat wrote:
ArmouredSoup wrote:I am writing my test tomorrow in Kingston, actually just taking a break from studying right now.

Good luck tomorrow on the test. I was just wondering what areas you applied for? I was curious if they were sending the Ontario people for training out west?

Thanks

I only applied to the Grand Cache posting, back in December.

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:32 am

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:56 pm

You need have your medical finished prior to going to Staff College, including your TB test. TB tests can take a long time to get, I can't stress enough to get that done sooner rather than later.

ismailbawa
Rookie Member

Postby ismailbawa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:08 pm

can someone tell whats stage 2 training?????????

ismailbawa
Rookie Member

Postby ismailbawa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Whitebrown wrote:You need have your medical finished prior to going to Staff College, including your TB test. TB tests can take a long time to get, I can't stress enough to get that done sooner rather than later.

does everyone has to do TB Test??? can anyone advice if they have done their medical recently.... Thank you

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:08 pm

ismailbawa wrote:can someone tell whats stage 2 training?????????

It's where they make sure you're smart enough to do your own research about all of the different stages of CTP!