Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
kbuzz
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby kbuzz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:15 pm

I am presently going through the process to become a Correctional Officer and have selected only Ontario as my preferred region. During my interview, I was informed that I could go directly to the Grand Valley Institution for Women (Multi) in Kitchener, Ontario to apply for a position. Can anyone please verify this for me. Has anyone been through the process and been placed at this institution upon hire.

Thank you for your input.
CBSA
Sept 2008 - BSO Application Submitted
Jan 2009 - BSOT Written
Nov 2010 - BSO Interview
Jan 2011 - BSO Interview Successful

CSC
May 2011 - Test Written
July 2011 - Interview (successful)
August 2011 - Medical

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:38 pm

kbuzz wrote:I am presently going through the process to become a Correctional Officer and have selected only Ontario as my preferred region. During my interview, I was informed that I could go directly to the Grand Valley Institution for Women (Multi) in Kitchener, Ontario to apply for a position. Can anyone please verify this for me. Has anyone been through the process and been placed at this institution upon hire.

Thank you for your input.

Why would you want to go to Grand Valley? I only heard of the process to be a separate from CX process.

kbuzz
Rookie Member

Postby kbuzz » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Primarily because it is close to my place of residence. Based on my education, I am also interested in working in a women's institution as well.
CBSA
Sept 2008 - BSO Application Submitted
Jan 2009 - BSOT Written
Nov 2010 - BSO Interview
Jan 2011 - BSO Interview Successful

CSC
May 2011 - Test Written
July 2011 - Interview (successful)
August 2011 - Medical

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:48 pm

kbuzz wrote:Primarily because it is close to my place of residence. Based on my education, I am also interested in working in a women's institution as well.

Well I can tell you if you are a male being a Primary Worker (CX2) is not an easy go. A lot of post you wont be able to do, just like a women in male institution, there are certain posts you cannot do, due to strip searching etc. So please read about it and if there are any primary workers on here that can shed light into this. I again have never heard of being asked if they wanted to go for Primary Worker. The latest postings were for male institutions.

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:04 pm

FedCO wrote:
kbuzz wrote:Primarily because it is close to my place of residence. Based on my education, I am also interested in working in a women's institution as well.

Well I can tell you if you are a male being a Primary Worker (CX2) is not an easy go. A lot of post you wont be able to do, just like a women in male institution, there are certain posts you cannot do, due to strip searching etc. So please read about it and if there are any primary workers on here that can shed light into this. I again have never heard of being asked if they wanted to go for Primary Worker. The latest postings were for male institutions.

From what I've heard a male in a female prison is even more limited than a female officer in a male prison. I know a couple of cx's trying to get to GVI only to move closer to family. Personally I could never work there.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Think very very carefully before applying to a Female Institution if you are a male.

It is NOTHING like jail... it's a different mentality, it is a different way of doing things and it's just... DIFFERENT.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Kat wrote:
Slo wrote:
supersean wrote:you guys going through right now, how long after your interview did you find out you passed? do they email and let you know you passed/failed?

I found out my references were being contacted within 2 days. The day they were contacted I was emailed saying I was successful. Interviewed on a Wednesday and I found out I passed on Monday afternoon. It was shockingly quick actually.

I had my interview the other day, my reference was called the next day but they didn't get connected till the day after. I haven't heard anything one way or the other yet but was told at the interview 3-4 weeks. I know someone else that went through and heard back in 2 days that they didn't pass it via email.

Heard today that I was successful in the interview. :D Next step is booking a medical tomorrow morning. It took me less than a week to hear back.

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:26 pm

I hate to be impatient but I'm just really curious as to why prairie region hasn't been booking interviews (that I'm aware of). Especially since I've heard they are short staffed. I just want this so badly!

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 pm

the1captain wrote:
FedCO wrote:

From what I've heard a male in a female prison is even more limited than a female officer in a male prison. I know a couple of cx's trying to get to GVI only to move closer to family. Personally I could never work there.

Ya after those riots in the 90s at prison for women and IERT shit that went down. I have heard all you do is man door control posts. That is a long career of not doing much.

macker27
Rookie Member

Postby macker27 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 am

Almc wrote:I hate to be impatient but I'm just really curious as to why prairie region hasn't been booking interviews (that I'm aware of). Especially since I've heard they are short staffed. I just want this so badly!

Definitely know how you feel, just have to play the waiting game I guess.
Applied to CSC: April 12, 2011
Wrote WCPT and in-house exam: May 20, 2011
Passed WCPT and in-house exam: June 14, 2011
Invited to next stage in the application process

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 am

pdubbu wrote:
Slo wrote:
pdubbu wrote:Con Game by Mike Harris, if you really want to get ahead read some CD's (commissioners directives). The 567 series would be a good place to start (use of force).
CD's
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/toccd-eng.shtml

CD 567
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/cdshtm/567-cd-eng.shtml

Already read through most of them before my interview...will keep re-reading as time goes on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Been reading Con Game (or at least the parts that are available online), will keep up with that if you think it would be beneficial. Thanks.

I am not sure how helpful the CD's will be for your interview, they will definitely give you a leg up on people during CTP though. Con Game give you some insight into how some things run and how some things use to run.

Correct....not all that helpful for the interview. And that's about as far into that as I'd like to get. I have already passed my interview, and even before then I was reading them more just to get an idea of the job and such.

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:42 am

the1captain wrote:I liked "Con Game" but I would actually recommend any new recruits to not read it until they are on the job. One because it is a dose of reality that will cloud the kool aid they are feeding you on CTP. Drink the kool aid while on CTP. The goal is to pass. Go into detox from the sweet liquid after you graduate. Another reason is that some of your instructors will hate that book due to themselves or possibly others they know not looking in the best light in that book. You will not be doing yourself any favours mentioning that book in the classroom. I had one instructor that said he didn't even want to see any recruits with a copy on them. JMHO.

When I was first informed about that book I was given a bit of a background on the author. So while reading it I basically ignored/dismissed much of the editorial/political type things. Even the descriptions of events I assumed were a little suspect.

I figured if when reading it I assumed the author as being motivated in a certain direction I could still get some insight from it, but not really buy into it. I can do that (or not do that) if/when I am on the job.

A good book detailing the factual goings on in some of our Penitentiaries, without any motivation, would be a great read I think. I'm sure the CSC would frown upon current officers writing such a book though....and with good reason. Would be interesting to have a compilation of some good 'war stories' from current Correctional Officers.

kgipson
Rookie Member

Postby kgipson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 am

How is everyone finding the interview process? I have mine tomorrow and find that it is so hard to prepare. Any feed back?? :ponder:
Last edited by kgipson on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:20 am

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.