Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
FedCO
King Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby FedCO » Sun May 08, 2011 6:17 am

I could understand that a site-specific competition would have less testing as it will no doubt have less applicants.....is that the case here?[/quote]

Im sure it depends on the # of applicants because I have a buddy in PAC region who just finished CTP and he had no tests during the application process, I applied to the recent posting and im doing 2 tests! :banghead:[/quote]

Everyone has to be assessed to determine if they meet the Essential Criteria. There are different tools to assess these criteria and each posting may have different ways to assess, but all must be assessed. If someone says they were not assessed before going to CTP they are obviously misleading or misrepresenting themself. Don't believe everything you hear or read.[/quote]

Perhaps this refers to a change in the way applicants are being screened. I have just gone through CTP in the PAC region and wrote no tests prior to my interviews. Of course, the posting required various essential and asset qualifications that had to be met, but there was no prior written test required. That was the posting of January 2010. When I looked at the most recent posting, I noticed that some testing (or proof of equivalent course) was required this time around. My guess -- and it is just a guess -- is that they are trying to work out a way to screen for certain things, like written communication skills, prior to the interview.[/quote]

Things change all the time. When I went through this stuff back in 08/09. All I did was a role play interview/ personal background interview. But this is the government and its good more testing is done to make sure a applicant is ready to do the job of a Correctional Officer. Now they need to do is bring back a Physical Fitness Test and a better psychological test and back ground investigation.

Fingerscrossed1
Rookie Member

Postby Fingerscrossed1 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:59 am

bpolan568 wrote:
Fingerscrossed1 wrote:
halsey wrote:Just wondering if anybody got a call from the last posting to start the testing for the Kingston area? As of now I didn't.

Yes, this Thursday coming up.

Are you talking about the grande cache posting, or the most recent regional posting?

Sorry, not Grande Cache, regional Kingston area.

bpolan568
Rookie Member

Postby bpolan568 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:12 am

Yes, this Thursday coming up.[/quote]

Are you talking about the grande cache posting, or the most recent regional posting?[/quote]

Sorry, not Grande Cache, regional Kingston area.[/quote]

They have already called for testing for the most recent posting. Your application is good till 2012. If you didn't receieve a call, don't feel that they just didn't call you because that's not the case. Just wait and see!

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 am

Fingerscrossed1 wrote:
halsey wrote:Just wondering if anybody got a call from the last posting to start the testing for the Kingston area? As of now I didn't.

Yes, this Thursday coming up.

I am writing in Kingston this Thursday.

Lex.
Rookie Member

Postby Lex. » Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 pm

I got an email for testing for the Quebec region. Sadly, I'm a SBSO this summer and the test is during my formation. Hopefully, they can reschedule it. If not, maybe they'll draw me again in the future. We'll see.

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Sun May 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Federal CO wrote:BigBuck,

You out east? That's interesting news.

PAC - Mountain

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Sun May 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Interesting and howdy neighbor :wave:
Very good. But brick not hit back!

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Sun May 08, 2011 6:24 pm

Federal CO wrote:Interesting and howdy neighbor :wave:

:wave: Back at ya'!

Now, mind you, this is also eerily similar to the news received LAST year, at around the same time . . ..

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Sun May 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Ya lost me there bud...
Very good. But brick not hit back!

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Sun May 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Federal CO wrote:Ya lost me there bud...

This is exactly what was told to the 12 hr line LAST year - and one year later, still no Day/Night, and another 'promise' of change.

Basically, no one's holding their breath. Won't believe it 'til we see it . . . .

BigBuck
Veteran Member

Postby BigBuck » Sun May 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Striker wrote:
BigBuck wrote:
Federal CO wrote:Ya lost me there bud...

This is exactly what was told to the 12 hr line LAST year - and one year later, still no Day/Night, and another 'promise' of change.

Basically, no one's holding their breath. Won't believe it 'til we see it . . . .

Classic CSC. "We will make the change in April at the start of the new fiscal year and before peak leave season." April 31. "We are going to wait until after peak leave season and do it in Sept."
Sept 31. "We are getting to close to Christmas and don't want to interrupt peoples holidays, we will wait until the first of the year."
Jan 31. "We are going to wait until the start of the new fiscal year!" :roll:

:banghead:

halsey
Rookie Member

Postby halsey » Sun May 08, 2011 9:08 pm

bpolan568 wrote:Yes, this Thursday coming up.

Are you talking about the grande cache posting, or the most recent regional posting?[/quote]

Sorry, not Grande Cache, regional Kingston area.[/quote]

They have already called for testing for the most recent posting. Your application is good till 2012. If you didn't receieve a call, don't feel that they just didn't call you because that's not the case. Just wait and see![/quote]

thanx, it can get a bit frustrating with all the hurry up and wait.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon May 09, 2011 12:59 am

There are three rules that I was taught when I started with CSC:

1) Always ask questions: Don't assume you know the answer, because you don't, and your lack of knowledge will get somebody hurt. Seek out experienced officers and pick their brains...... if they're any good, they won't mind answering.

2) A closed door is a good door: In a prison setting, this one should be obvious. :mrgreen:

3) HURRY UP AND WAIT! a.k.a. It's all pensionable time! The cons aren't going anywhere, being behind closed doors (see rule #2 :mrgreen: ), we're not going anywhere, and it's better to not rush things, especially if you aren't sure what's going on (see rule #1 :mrgreen: ).

Rule #3 also applies to the recruiting process too. The recent public posting for CX's generated a pool of 1800-2000 resumes/applications for the Ontario region (using previous competitions as a guideline), and the recruiters have selected the first batch of desirable candidates for the next step (written testing, which I believe is this Thursday). Depending on how many pass, and proceed on to the interview and CTP stages, they may come back to that application pool for a second, third and fourth round of candidates for the written tests (and interviews / CTP). It's an iterative process, so if you weren't selected for the first batch, and if your credentials/experience are sound, just hang tight and you should get a call / e-mail soon.

Rule #3 is a pain, I know, but all things considered, the CSC recruiting process rolls fairly quickly, given the volume of candidates that they go through.
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

bpolan568
Rookie Member

Postby bpolan568 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:29 am

SupahDuck wrote:There are three rules that I was taught when I started with CSC:

1) Always ask questions: Don't assume you know the answer, because you don't, and your lack of knowledge will get somebody hurt. Seek out experienced officers and pick their brains...... if they're any good, they won't mind answering.

2) A closed door is a good door: In a prison setting, this one should be obvious. :mrgreen:

3) HURRY UP AND WAIT! a.k.a. It's all pensionable time! The cons aren't going anywhere, being behind closed doors (see rule #2 :mrgreen: ), we're not going anywhere, and it's better to not rush things, especially if you aren't sure what's going on (see rule #1 :mrgreen: ).

Rule #3 also applies to the recruiting process too. The recent public posting for CX's generated a pool of 1800-2000 resumes/applications for the Ontario region (using previous competitions as a guideline), and the recruiters have selected the first batch of desirable candidates for the next step (written testing, which I believe is this Thursday). Depending on how many pass, and proceed on to the interview and CTP stages, they may come back to that application pool for a second, third and fourth round of candidates for the written tests (and interviews / CTP). It's an iterative process, so if you weren't selected for the first batch, and if your credentials/experience are sound, just hang tight and you should get a call / e-mail soon.

Rule #3 is a pain, I know, but all things considered, the CSC recruiting process rolls fairly quickly, given the volume of candidates that they go through.

WELL SAID! Should anwser a majority of questions that are asked on here!