Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
FedCO
King Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby FedCO » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:14 pm

JrPI wrote:Hi everyone,
I am in the prairie process and I am conflicted about the latest National posting. Like Melgirl_89, I would like to stay in Ontario. Does anyone have a rough idea about timelines for the hiring of the Ontario candidates? Part of me thinks I should continue (have not done online training yet) with the present process and hope that I can transfer back in a year to Ontario.
To all the career officers in the system...do you have any insight that you can relay?
Melgirl..have you stopped the process for the prairies?

After a year you should be able to transfer back to Ontario, as long as there is room and such.

ArmouredSoup
Rookie Member

Postby ArmouredSoup » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:00 am

I did my interview for Grand Cache this past week.

They said that I could expect to hear something either way in about a month.

Fides
Rookie Member

Postby Fides » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:45 am

ArmouredSoup wrote:I did my interview for Grand Cache this past week.

Was that for the most recent posting?
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey guys,

New to the forum, I just applied out west. Nervous about the big change but look forward to working for the federal system(if i make it 88)). just wanna say thanks for the great info, I'm nearly blind from staring at my computer screen reading page after page of this thread.

Anyone out in the pacific have insight in hiring timelines? I have a mortgage and bills to pay. After I give my notice at my current job I'll have to ride my line of credit (12K ...good for about 3 months, little longer if needed :? ) Hope it'll be enough.

Also kind of a lame question: I've planned and paid for a vacation at the end of September, is there anyway to work around that? Heck i'll obviously just not take the trip if I must but it would be nice to avoid wasting $1000.. :banghead: (planned the trip before the posting came up... i KNEW i should have waited)

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:09 pm

I threw my application in this week, for Ontario and Prairie region. If I am offered a position out west, I am hoping a couple of places in AB since my wife's family is there. In for the ride.
K division.

RookieToBe
Rookie Member

Postby RookieToBe » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:26 am

Darkhare wrote:Hey guys,

New to the forum, I just applied out west. Nervous about the big change but look forward to working for the federal system(if i make it 88)). just wanna say thanks for the great info, I'm nearly blind from staring at my computer screen reading page after page of this thread.

Anyone out in the pacific have insight in hiring timelines? I have a mortgage and bills to pay. After I give my notice at my current job I'll have to ride my line of credit (12K ...good for about 3 months, little longer if needed :? ) Hope it'll be enough.

Also kind of a lame question: I've planned and paid for a vacation at the end of September, is there anyway to work around that? Heck i'll obviously just not take the trip if I must but it would be nice to avoid wasting $1000.. :banghead: (planned the trip before the posting came up... i KNEW i should have waited)

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Well my timeline might not be typical, but I applied for the Grand Cache posting in OCT/10. Had my written test in JAN/11, interview FEB/11, medical MAR/11. Now, it's just the waiting game....

I hear you about mortgage and bills. What I'm doing is saving at least a couple hundred from every pay right now, trying to squirrel it away so that I have enough for the 2 months-ish of bills during unpaid training. Hoping that they start giving some kind of allowance or something....

I'm in a wedding down here at the end of September....hoping I won't be in the middle of training when this happens 88)
Giggity giggity goo!

RookieToBe
Rookie Member

Postby RookieToBe » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:30 am

Shawshank wrote:I threw my application in this week, for Ontario and Prairie region. If I am offered a position out west, I am hoping a couple of places in AB since my wife's family is there. In for the ride.

Grand Cache?
Giggity giggity goo!

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:55 pm

RookieToBe wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Well my timeline might not be typical, but I applied for the Grand Cache posting in OCT/10. Had my written test in JAN/11, interview FEB/11, medical MAR/11. Now, it's just the waiting game....

I hear you about mortgage and bills. What I'm doing is saving at least a couple hundred from every pay right now, trying to squirrel it away so that I have enough for the 2 months-ish of bills during unpaid training. Hoping that they start giving some kind of allowance or something....

I'm in a wedding down here at the end of September....hoping I won't be in the middle of training when this happens 88)

Looks like we're in similar situations hah... For once i'm actually hoping the process moves a little slower just so I can save more and have one last vacation to relax before hitting the books..(i'll be able to pay bills, but coming out of ctp without debt would be niiiice) :thumbsup:

Iglooman
Rookie Member

Postby Iglooman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:46 pm

In a couple of months if all goes well (testing/interview) hadn't had any yet - I will be debt free when I complete the CTP program and OJT. I am scraping and saving every penny at the moment because I want to focus on the training program and not have any distractions while away from home. :D

ArmouredSoup
Rookie Member

Postby ArmouredSoup » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:49 pm

No, this was for the posting for Grand Cache only, I think I applied in December, I did my written test in March.

Fides wrote:
ArmouredSoup wrote:I did my interview for Grand Cache this past week.

Was that for the most recent posting?

Ummagumma
Rookie Member

Postby Ummagumma » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:17 am

Darkhare wrote:
RookieToBe wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Looks like we're in similar situations hah... For once i'm actually hoping the process moves a little slower just so I can save more and have one last vacation to relax before hitting the books..(i'll be able to pay bills, but coming out of ctp without debt would be niiiice) :thumbsup:

Depending on your job, you probably won't have to give notice until just before stage three of CTP starts. The first stage is online and is quite manageable even while working a full time job. Stage 2 requires a bit of work, but, again, still manageable. That leaves you with -- as it currently stands (I'm doing CTP in the PAC region right now) -- about 8 - 9 weeks at the staff college and two weeks of OJT. So, you'd be looking at going somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 - 12 weeks without a pay cheque.

As for the vacation, I have heard you can ask to defer your intake in to CTP, but with the timelines being quite long as it is, I wouldn't do that. Once you are in the in-class and OJT portion of CTP there really isn't any room to maneuver -- the timelines are tight and not flexible. But, from what I've read here, what I've learned talking to others, my own experience so far and that of others in my CTP, if you applied for the posting a couple of weeks ago, you probably won't be in CTP by September anyway. But that's just speculation.

I hope that's somewhat helpful.

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Ummagumma,

Looks like you're one of the recruits destined to come here at Kent real soon huh? I believe we are expecting about 5 or 6 of you rookies :wave:
Very good. But brick not hit back!

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Some good advice for all new recruits....listen to your instructors every word while on the range, don't become a number like these other people!!

http://www.cancrime.com/2011/04/20/does ... -straight/

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 am

pdubbu wrote:Some good advice for all new recruits....listen to your instructors every word while on the range, don't become a number like these other people!!

http://www.cancrime.com/2011/04/20/does ... -straight/

Yea I read that yesterday, brutal just brutal. New Recruits please pay extreme attention to your Firearm Instructors when on range as it will help you so much.