Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Striker » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:51 pm

With the frequent questions posted in various threads regarding the hiring process I figured a thread specific to it might help people. Maybe we'll get tacked! 8)
I'm not a recruiter and never have been. However I have contacts both in our regional head quarters and our regional training facility that I can "tap" for answers and information.
I can say that the prairie region is the place to be if you want to get hired quickly as a CX.
So..having said all that..if anyone has any questions..fire away.

Edited to add...if you want to know what it's like to work inside..buy this book.
http://www.amazon.ca/Game-Truth-About-C ... 361&sr=1-1
Last edited by Striker on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

ToyCopp
Grand Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby ToyCopp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:13 pm

I got one. Why is Roberta Johnston such a bird.

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:16 pm

:rolllaugh:

Blind_Justice
Veteran Member

Postby Blind_Justice » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:04 pm

I applied, received a confirmation letter that my application has been received.. but have not heard from them ever since... it has been almost 10 months now. What should I do?
ATS PREP - May 24, 2008 - Passed.
Let the process continue?

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Blind_Justice wrote:I applied, received a confirmation letter that my application has been received.. but have not heard from them ever since... it has been almost 10 months now. What should I do?
Contact the human resources dept for the region you applied to and ask them the status of your application. Ask when the next date for testing will be and when the next CTP will take place.
You have to keep after them albeit in a polite none pain in the ass way. ;)

Here is the contact info for the various regions.
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/carinf/contact-eng.shtml
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:38 pm

ToyCopp wrote:I got one. Why is Roberta Johnston such a bird.
You don't count..you've BTDT! :P

the1captain
Grand Poobah

Postby the1captain » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:19 pm

ToyCopp wrote:I got one. Why is Roberta Johnston such a bird.
:alright:

Although a cheap shot that will likely get deleted, I have to agree.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

ToyCopp
Grand Poobah

Postby ToyCopp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:07 pm

Funny. I had my 3 hour interview with her and another man hater and waited 4 months for a PFO letter.
But oddly enough my interview for Prarrie Region took 45 minutes and I was hired on the spot.

Cheers to you Ontario Region Staff College. :drinking: :thumbsup:

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:20 am

ToyCopp wrote:Funny. I had my 3 hour interview with her and another man hater and waited 4 months for a PFO letter.
But oddly enough my interview for Prarrie Region took 45 minutes and I was hired on the spot.

Cheers to you Ontario Region Staff College. :drinking: :thumbsup:
See my comment above..
Although got word a few days ago the Atlantic Region is running 4 CTP's starting in Jan. :shock:

the1captain
Grand Poobah

Postby the1captain » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:35 am

Heard Ontario region wants to start a CTP in Dec. and one in Jan. Also heard these might finally be the first ones to run the online portion for the first 4 weeks.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:12 am

the1captain wrote:Heard Ontario region wants to start a CTP in Dec. and one in Jan. Also heard these might finally be the first ones to run the online portion for the first 4 weeks.
There was no mention of the online ones here. Full 11 weeks. I'm thinking of applying for one of the instructor slots..
After 12 years inside the fence it might be a nice break.

Apollo
Poobah Overlord

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:00 pm

Yea, the next CSC Ontario CTP classes will be 4 weeks online.

the1captain
Grand Poobah

Postby the1captain » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Apollo wrote:Yea, the next CSC Ontario CTP classes will be 4 weeks online.
I'm torn about that. On one hand it's 4 less you are going without pay(assuming you have a job while doing the online part). And in hindsight, I'm not saying you learn a ton those first 4 weeks in class. But on the other hand the instructors give you alot of help in preparing for the K1 exam. And there is alot to be said for the off the books stories the instuctors can give you that you don't get online.

Guess either way I'm just glad I got through it and therefore not my problem.

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:32 am

the1captain wrote:
Apollo wrote:Yea, the next CSC Ontario CTP classes will be 4 weeks online.
I'm torn about that. On one hand it's 4 less you are going without pay(assuming you have a job while doing the online part). And in hindsight, I'm not saying you learn a ton those first 4 weeks in class. But on the other hand the instructors give you alot of help in preparing for the K1 exam. And there is alot to be said for the off the books stories the instuctors can give you that you don't get online.

Guess either way I'm just glad I got through it and therefore not my problem.
I don't agree with it at all, for the reasons you mentioned and, working as a CX means being part of a team. When you are on CTP you need every available minute to develop that team "spirit".
There isn't enough of it on CTP's now. I can't count the number of new CX I've watched come through the main gate with a "I only care about me!" attitude.
There is absolutely nothing you will do in the course of your shift that won't affect another CX. Going to the crapper will affect someone else, either they will be alone while you are gone or they have to wait at a barrier,etc,etc.
CSC could take some tips from the military on how to develop and build team work on courses...

tbone
Rookie Member

Postby tbone » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Hey folks, I've been reading all of the CSC material on here with great interest. I've just applied for Agassiz, BC, and had a question I'm hoping someone might know the answer to. Can anyone tell me how many references they will ask for? That is, assuming I get that far! Just trying to plan ahead as much as possible...

Thanks in advance!