Poly questions

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
tailai
Rookie Member

Poly questions

Postby tailai » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:42 am

2 business days after I completed RMSI, (I did it last Thursday morning) I got a call this morning (Monday morning 8am) that I have been booked for poly next week. I was very surprised to get the call because I expected they would call me at least in 3-4 weeks. Well, can’t complain fast track.

I have couple questions about Poly, first, it is been more than 4 months since I wrote pre-poly questionnaire,
I pretty much forgot everything what were the questions and what I put in the questionnaires, which concerns me because since I got the call, more I think of it, more things which should be written, just starting pop up in my head. Nothing major though.

Second, will I have chance to explain to interviewer verbally or I just write them on questionnaires? I do not know how exactly the format or how the poly will be conducted. Is this something that we could discuss? Not the questions but how the poly is conducted.
After reading quite posts about poly, if I understand correctly, I will have chance to add more stuffs on questionnaires on poly day, but would it be a problem if I answer yes more that 5-6 questions that I have previously answered no ? Again, nothing major, small things

We all made mistakes in past and learned from it but what are the time line of past that they accept. I know 3 years is standard line for drug use, does 3 years apply on everything else? let's say If I drank 3 shots and drove year ago, something like that will be a problem?

forgive me if this was answered in another thread

OFAdude
Rookie Member

Re: Poly questions

Postby OFAdude » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:37 am

I'm sure this has been answered before in many other threads, but I know people have been having difficulties with the search function (you should still try it!). Don't worry about the poly too much; I know that sounds impossible, but there is literally nothing you can do but be honest to yourself and the interviewer. The entire poly appointment is verbal aside from signing a few documents and such. The interviewer/examiner will go over in DETAIL how the machine works, how he is going to do the test, etc etc. You will go over the ENTIRE booklet AGAIN with the interviewer and will be able to add, explain, expand on ANYTHING you have on your chest. Simply spill EVERYTHING and let him/her decide if they want to delve deeper. I personally added several things I had answered no to initially, mostly because the interviewer will give some examples and will spark a memory that you just simply forgot about! You will find the process very smooth but taxing and WILL walk out of there feeling crummy!

No one can say if things you have done in the past are going to adversely affect you other than your recruiting officer. Anyone telling you another answer would be giving their opinion only.

Good luck!!

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:31 am

Just be honest about everything that you have done and that is all you can do. The maching and how it works will be explained to you in detail. Before you are hooked up to the machine your examiner will go over everything in the booklet with you in detail and you can add things at this time. Good Luck!
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

z24
Rookie Member

Postby z24 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:53 am

tailai wrote: let's say If I drank 3 shots and drove year ago, something like that will be a problem?

Nooo, of course it's ok to drink and drive! :ponder:

Dark_Knight
Rookie Member

Postby Dark_Knight » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:25 am

On the RCMP website under "Forms" they have the whole booklet available. Maybe going through it again will update your memory. In the end of the day they don't really care about your explanations...it is very much a yes or no process. They decided long before you were even scheduled for the interview whether or not your answers were acceptable. It as all about being HONEST. That's all they care about. They don't like surprises and conincidently neither does that pesky little machine they operate.

tailai
Rookie Member

Postby tailai » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:07 am

I forgot to ask one more question, what should be appropriate attire for Poly ?
are T-shirt and jeans ok to wear ?

P_Dubb
Seasoned Member

Postby P_Dubb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 am

No! It is still part of the recruitment process, so you still want to seem as professional as possible. I was told by my recruiter that business casual is appropriate, and that a suit is not mandatory as you need to comfortable during the lengthy polygraph. Tshirt and jeans would NOT cut it.
“Today is just a good day in disguise.”

WILLPOWER
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:48 am

z24 wrote:
tailai wrote: let's say If I drank 3 shots and drove year ago, something like that will be a problem?

Nooo, of course it's ok to drink and drive! :ponder:

We all know that drinking while driving or driving over the alcohol limit is illegal.
But let say someone is at a dinner take 2 beer and drive an hour and a half later.. (He would definitively be under the .08 limit. )
Would that be a big issue?
RCMP North West region

robbo

Postby robbo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 am

WILLPOWER wrote:We all know that drinking while driving or driving over the alcohol limit is illegal.
But let say someone is at a dinner take 2 beer and drive an hour and a half later.. (He would definitively be under the .08 limit. )

Alcohol and driving is an issue that gets a lot of attention during the application process. The past is what it is, so during the poly or any BGI, any applicant should be prepared to justify their drinking habits and driving. Each person is different, but clearly there is no way a person can be over 80mg% with only 2 drinks (need to make sure you know what a "drink" means - one shot, 125ml wine, bottle of beer).

There is also a difference between the two charges of 253(1)(a) and 253(1)(b) Impaired/Over .08... I've had days where I've only had a couple of pints (more than 2 drinks) but "feel" tipsy... yeah, yeah... light weight.

If you drank and then drove, you may be asked to explain why you felt it was ok to drive.
"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted" - Seneca

WILLPOWER
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:28 pm

robbo wrote:
WILLPOWER wrote:We all know that drinking while driving or driving over the alcohol limit is illegal.

Alcohol and driving is an issue that gets a lot of attention during the application process. The past is what it is, so during the poly or any BGI, any applicant should be prepared to justify their drinking habits and driving. Each person is different, but clearly there is no way a person can be over 80mg% with only 2 drinks (need to make sure you know what a "drink" means - one shot, 125ml wine, bottle of beer).

There is also a difference between the two charges of 253(1)(a) and 253(1)(b) Impaired/Over .08... I've had days where I've only had a couple of pints (more than 2 drinks) but "feel" tipsy... yeah, yeah... light weight.

If you drank and then drove, you may be asked to explain why you felt it was ok to drive.

I never drove with more than 2 beers in my body. I'm 180 pounds and 2 beers was my guideline. But I did drove with less than 2 beers in my body a lot of time (maybe 10 times/year). My recruiter took a lot of time at this question when he called to confirm some question of the pre-poly booklet. Hope that it won't be too much problematic.
RCMP North West region

robbo

Postby robbo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm

WILLPOWER wrote:I never drove with more than 2 beers in my body. I'm 180 pounds and 2 beers was my guideline. But I did drove with less than 2 beers in my body a lot of time (maybe 10 times/year). My recruiter took a lot of time at this question when he called to confirm some question of the pre-poly booklet. Hope that it won't be too much problematic.

I can't really see it being an issue...

This seems to be the standard Q&A roadside;
Me: How much alcohol have you had to drink tonight?
Bad guy: (slurred) 2 beers

Yeah, right :roll: then they blow 150mg% plus... ha

That's probably why your recruiter followed up on the 2 beers :D
"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted" - Seneca

QJ...
Rookie Member

Postby QJ... » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Tall_Paul wrote:No! It is still part of the recruitment process, so you still want to seem as professional as possible. I was told by my recruiter that business casual is appropriate, and that a suit is not mandatory as you need to comfortable during the lengthy polygraph. Tshirt and jeans would NOT cut it.

True. You want to look professional. :D I was thinking what to wear also and decided that its better be overdressed than underdressed :D … So I was wearing black pants and white shirt. And I was happy with my choice when I saw my examiner wearing suite and a tie. He looked very official.
RPAB- Feb 25, 2008
Package received- March 27, 2008
PARE - April 16, 2008 (4:00)
Package mailed - April 17, 2008
RMSI- June 30, 2008
POLY - July 29, 2008(waiting for results)
Dental/Med- ...
Psych-...
BGI-...
PARE2 -.... October, 2008

GNP
Rookie Member

Postby GNP » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Dress code will depend on what service you are going for. My CPS file manager only wanted a suit and tie for the panel, everything else was casual. Sweat pants and a MegaDeath t-shirt likely aren't a good idea though! I opted for overdressed rather than looking like I just left the construction site.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:24 pm

GNP wrote:Dress code will depend on what service you are going for. My CPS file manager only wanted a suit and tie for the panel, everything else was casual. Sweat pants and a MegaDeath t-shirt likely aren't a good idea though! I opted for overdressed rather than looking like I just left the construction site.

When I did my poly I wore a suit and tie! That's just me though anytime I have to go for an interview i'm in a suit and tie. The poly process can be long though (7 hrs for me) so smart casual is acceptable.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

WILLPOWER
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:02 pm

PHB wrote:
GNP wrote:Dress code will depend on what service you are going for. My CPS file manager only wanted a suit and tie for the panel, everything else was casual. Sweat pants and a MegaDeath t-shirt likely aren't a good idea though! I opted for overdressed rather than looking like I just left the construction site.

When I did my poly I wore a suit and tie! That's just me though anytime I have to go for an interview i'm in a suit and tie. The poly process can be long though (7 hrs for me) so smart casual is acceptable.

7 Hrs....Wow. 88) Do you stop to take a lunch?

Would the tie be problematic with the poly machine?
RCMP North West region