RPAT exam

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

RPAT exam

Postby JonathanAdmond » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 am

Hi, just a quick question...

I recently wrote my RPAT exam for the RCMP but I am worried that I may fail because in the 2 hour booklet I ran out of time with about 10 or a little more questions left, other than that I did good, besides on the vocab, that was just ridiculous :? .. Is there still a chance I passed even after missing 10~15 questions? :roll:

Thanks in advance. :)
JonathanAdmond
Rookie Member

Re: RPAT exam

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:20 am

Mathematically speaking, yes. It depends on how well you did on the other questions, however. Furthermore, not all questions are weighted equally. Some questions are worth two marks and some only one mark.
Sed libera nos a malo.
SD_SC1
Poobah Overlord

Postby WILLPOWER » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:32 am

JonathanAdmond wrote:Hi, just a quick question...

I recently wrote my RPAT exam for the RCMP but I am worried that I may fail because in the 2 hour booklet I ran out of time with about 10 or a little more questions left, other than that I did good, besides on the vocab, that was just ridiculous :? .. Is there still a chance I passed even after missing 10~15 questions? :roll:

Did you at least wrote something?
To be honnest I was extremely suprised by my result.
I though the only place where I had difficulties were at the vocabulary and felt very confident with the memory part, logic and calculation. Seems like I was wrong got some medium result everywhere except in judgement were I had some very good score. (Judgement question worth 2 points so It helped me a lot).
C Div
RPAB03/18 Result04/15 3.75 OK
PARE105/10OK 3:34
Pack sent05/21
RMSI07/29 OK
Poly09/17 --10/10OK
Medic11/18 OK
PARE212/13OK 3:24
LanguageTest12/17 EBB
BGI:start12/04OK
Security Clearstart01/19OK
Psych2:02-19OK
Accepted !!!
WILLPOWER
Grand Poobah

Postby JonathanAdmond » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:11 pm

I though the only place where I had difficulties were at the vocabulary and felt very confident with the memory part, logic and calculation. Seems like I was wrong got some medium result everywhere except in judgement were I had some very good score. (Judgement question worth 2 points so It helped me a lot).

Yes, I took the 25% chance of getting it correct and guessed at the answers.

The test results should be in around the end of this month(July) so, I'm really hoping for the best. I need this..
JonathanAdmond
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:34 pm

WILLPOWER wrote:
JonathanAdmond wrote:Hi, just a quick question...

I'm still waiting for my actual results. All I know is that I passed. I was expecting to struggle with the memory part, but I found it ridiculously easy. The vocabulary questions left me thinking, "WTF," and the spelling and grammar questions were an insult to my intelligence. The judgement section is easy to answer if you have half a brain and actually use it.

All in all I found it suspiciously easy and I finished with an extra 30 minutes to spare after double-checking all my answers to make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes. Not having my actual mark is annoying me. I really want to know what I got on it.
Sed libera nos a malo.
SD_SC1
Poobah Overlord

Postby JonathanAdmond » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:15 pm

I'm still waiting for my actual results. All I know is that I passed. I was expecting to struggle with the memory part, but I found it ridiculously easy. The vocabulary questions left me thinking, "WTF," and the spelling and grammar questions were an insult to my intelligence. The judgement section is easy to answer if you have half a brain and actually use it.

All in all I found it suspiciously easy and I finished with an extra 30 minutes to spare after double-checking all my answers to make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes. Not having my actual mark is annoying me. I really want to know what I got on it.

Wow, nice. You finished pretty quick, I took my time and it screwed me over :banghead: , I was expecting the Administrator to tell me how much time I had left threw the exam but it didn't happen and now I'm left in suspense wondering if I passed or not :( .. If I had the time to complete the test I would be almost as confident as you are that I passed.
JonathanAdmond
Rookie Member

Postby JonathanAdmond » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 pm

So after missing about 10~15 questions on the 2 hour booklet and not doing so well on the vocab, anyone have a brief idea on the chance of me passing? 50\50 ? (I did good\decent on the rest of the exam)
JonathanAdmond
Rookie Member

Postby Cadet-KDiv » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:32 pm

JonathanAdmond wrote:So after missing about 10~15 questions on the 2 hour booklet and not doing so well on the vocab, anyone have a brief idea on the chance of me passing? 50\50 ? (I did good\decent on the rest of the exam)

It's hard to tell. It really depends on how YOU feel you did. You'll just have to wait for your results to find out if you passed or not. :D
Troop 28!

Cadet-KDiv
Rookie Member

Postby JonathanAdmond » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 pm

I sure hope so, I want this more then anything! :P
JonathanAdmond
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 pm

JonathanAdmond wrote:So after missing about 10~15 questions on the 2 hour booklet and not doing so well on the vocab, anyone have a brief idea on the chance of me passing? 50\50 ? (I did good\decent on the rest of the exam)

You're basically missing about 10% of the exam. You also have to remember your mark is also based on that SFQ-something-or-other test. I'm pretty sure I did bad on that because I have a tendency to over-analyze everything.
Sed libera nos a malo.
SD_SC1
Poobah Overlord

Postby JonathanAdmond » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:37 am

10% is not all that bad, I really hope I passed it. I will let you guys know when I get my results.
JonathanAdmond
Rookie Member

Postby JonathanAdmond » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:48 am

Well, I just received my test results.

3.13 out of 5, as you know, I need 3.2. So, yeah.. I failed. I never was a supporter of this part of the recruitment process, I strongly disagree with this pesky test being the big thumbs up or thumbs down if someone will become an RCMP officer or not, there is no one on one interview or even some sort of questioning first to see if you have the characteristics and the potential of becoming a good RCMP officer, just this test that says whether or not you will get threw. This test is more then likely stopping thousands of great potential RCMP from getting threw, even throwing many away to regional or another career. Well, I'm going to try out for regional this January, wish me luck.

Thanks guys
JonathanAdmond
Rookie Member

Postby Cadet-KDiv » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:02 am

JonathanAdmond wrote:Well, I just received my test results.

3.13 out of 5, as you know, I need 3.2. So, yeah.. I failed. I never was a supporter of this part of the recruitment process, I strongly disagree with this pesky test being the big thumbs up or thumbs down if someone will become an RCMP officer or not, there is no one on one interview or even some sort of questioning first to see if you have the characteristics and the potential of becoming a good RCMP officer, just this test that says whether or not you will get threw. This test is more then likely stopping thousands of great potential RCMP from getting threw, even throwing many away to regional or another career. Well, I'm going to try out for regional this January, wish me luck.

Thanks guys

Sorry you didn't pass. The RPAT is necessary to determine if you have some of the qualities the RCMP are looking for such as Judgment, Communication, Computation etc. It's an entrance requirement. Of course, they don't want to hire people off the street. :twitch: I believe most police agency require an entrance exam.

Cool down your frustration. It's not the end of the world for you. Try again next year and study a bit harder. There are a lot of on-line preps. :thumbsup:

Good luck.
Last edited by Cadet-KDiv on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troop 28!

Cadet-KDiv
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:14 am

Cadet-KDiv wrote:

Thanks guys

Sorry you didn't pass. The RPAT is necessary to determine if you have some of the qualities the RCMP are looking for such as Judgment, Communication, Computation etc. It's an extrance requirement. Of course, they don't want to hire people off the street. :twitch: I believe most police agency require an entrance exam.

Cool down your frustration. It's not the end of the world for you. Try again next year and study a bit harder. There are a lot of on-line preps. :thumbsup:

Good luck.

It's true you won't gonna find a police agency that don't require you to pass a similar test.
Try to do some online IQ test, read a lot, and maybe if you really need help register at policeprep.com.

Remember...WHAT DOES'NT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER!

Good luck!
C Div
RPAB03/18 Result04/15 3.75 OK
PARE105/10OK 3:34
Pack sent05/21
RMSI07/29 OK
Poly09/17 --10/10OK
Medic11/18 OK
PARE212/13OK 3:24
LanguageTest12/17 EBB
BGI:start12/04OK
Security Clearstart01/19OK
Psych2:02-19OK
Accepted !!!
WILLPOWER
Grand Poobah

Postby SD_SC1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:29 pm

3.13 out of 5, as you know, I need 3.2. So, yeah.. I failed. I never was a supporter of this part of the recruitment process, I strongly disagree with this pesky test being the big thumbs up or thumbs down if someone will become an RCMP officer or not, there is no one on one interview or even some sort of questioning first to see if you have the characteristics and the potential of becoming a good RCMP officer, just this test that says whether or not you will get threw.

You know, I still haven't received my actual mark. :?

Anyway, failing the exam is not the end of the world. I disagree with you on your view of the RPAT requirements. If you can't write coherently and in sentences, which you can't, you're going to struggle with writing reports. If you're constantly typing, then deleting, then typing some more while on PROS, it's going to look suspicious. Your keystrokes are kept track of when you're typing on PROS. Not to mention, whoever is reviewing your files is going to get a headache trying to read them.

While common sense and street smarts are important to becoming a police officer, so are basic aptitude skills.

You can disagree with the way things work and get nowhere, or you can learn from your experiences, take the required steps to improve yourself and try again in a year. The choice is yours. You have to realize if you want to become a police officer or even a corrections officer, you will have to take an aptitude test. The RPAT is easier than the GCT2, which is the requirement for CSC.
Sed libera nos a malo.
SD_SC1
Poobah Overlord

Next

Return to Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)