Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
Jframer7
Seasoned Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am
Location: Edmonton
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Jframer7 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:11 pm
http://globalnews.ca/news/6116066/edmon ... dget-2019/ Edmonton police budget taking $5M hit due to Alberta budget

Hopefully this does not impact recruiting so much!! Any insight!??!

EDIT: For clarity, The budget went from $14M to $9M!! That's a huge percentage!
The 2019 police budget was 362 million. So while it’s not good to lose any funding that’s only about 1%.

Since the new chief started the service has been looking at a massive overhaul to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. These recommendations are to start in 2020.

I do not believe this the amount from the government alone will affect much at this point. What will be more telling is the next time the city makes its police budget. I think the current budget is set already to 2022. But like all things there probably is an escape clause to back out based on certain factors.

User avatar
Tornelco
Rookie Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Tornelco » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Jframer7 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:09 pm
The 2019 police budget was 362 million. So while it’s not good to lose any funding that’s only about 1%.

Since the new chief started the service has been looking at a massive overhaul to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. These recommendations are to start in 2020.

I do not believe this the amount from the government alone will affect much at this point. What will be more telling is the next time the city makes its police budget. I think the current budget is set already to 2022. But like all things there probably is an escape clause to back out based on certain factors.
Hey, Jframer7!!

Thanks for clarifying everything! I should've known better than to take Global News at face value. Obviously a police service with around 2,000 officers would have more than a $15 million budget... Just them click baiting with misleading news as usual!

Are you an EPS member by chance!? I look forward to using this thread in the coming months.
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

JEagle10
Regular Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby JEagle10 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:22 pm
Jframer7 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:09 pm
The 2019 police budget was 362 million. So while it’s not good to lose any funding that’s only about 1%.

Since the new chief started the service has been looking at a massive overhaul to reduce expenses and improve efficiency. These recommendations are to start in 2020.

I do not believe this the amount from the government alone will affect much at this point. What will be more telling is the next time the city makes its police budget. I think the current budget is set already to 2022. But like all things there probably is an escape clause to back out based on certain factors.
Hey, Jframer7!!

Thanks for clarifying everything! I should've known better than to take Global News at face value. Obviously a police service with around 2,000 officers would have more than a $15 million budget... Just them click baiting with misleading news as usual!

Are you an EPS member by chance!? I look forward to using this thread in the coming months.
I would recommend applying! I just finished my week in Edmonton completing the process and it felt very good. Anyone I met from EPS was super friendly and welcoming.

User avatar
Tornelco
Rookie Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Tornelco » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:57 pm

JEagle10 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I would recommend applying! I just finished my week in Edmonton completing the process and it felt very good. Anyone I met from EPS was super friendly and welcoming.
I was actually waiting until I got my results to reply to this but I've somewhat "started" the process. I did the APCAT/ACT in October and received passing results today. How did you find the APREP and the BDI interview?

Also don't you already have a CBSA security clearence? You're just waiting for an invite now, which agency are you going to choose?
"Don't put a man where you can put a bullet"
-Sgt K, An Amazing Police Officer

JEagle10
Regular Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby JEagle10 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:48 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:57 pm
JEagle10 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I would recommend applying! I just finished my week in Edmonton completing the process and it felt very good. Anyone I met from EPS was super friendly and welcoming.
I was actually waiting until I got my results to reply to this but I've somewhat "started" the process. I did the APCAT/ACT in October and received passing results today. How did you find the APREP and the BDI interview?

Also don't you already have a CBSA security clearence? You're just waiting for an invite now, which agency are you going to choose?
I’ll private message you

LalaLand
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:06 am
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby LalaLand » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the deferral period can only be 1,2 or 5 years? I have never heard of anyone being deferred for only 1 month for example. Any info would be appreciated! Thank you :)

litedream
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby litedream » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:49 am

LalaLand wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 pm
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the deferral period can only be 1,2 or 5 years? I have never heard of anyone being deferred for only 1 month for example. Any info would be appreciated! Thank you :)
Hello and happy new years!!

From what I’ve seen and heard, it is usually a 1-5 year range. However, I think there are some people who pass the 8 stages but still don’t get on. Some people along those lines would get an opportunity to be mentored by a constable for couple months. I think it’s an opportunity to get a little help/push to become a potential RTC member. I think if you’re successful, you are picked and put into an RTC. That’s what happened to buddy I met at RWR.

privatryan1
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby privatryan1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm

First time poster here, I have my PDI in a few weeks and I need to have my reference letters done asap. Is there criteria the references should follow, certain points needing to be covered? I went through a file manager swap so there seems to be a few things missing and out of place.

Thanks!

BluelineAlberta
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:55 am
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby BluelineAlberta » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 am

privatryan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm
First time poster here, I have my PDI in a few weeks and I need to have my reference letters done asap. Is there criteria the references should follow, certain points needing to be covered? I went through a file manager swap so there seems to be a few things missing and out of place.

Thanks!
I just submitted my application, they ask for reference letters? From whom do they ask to get them from? I ask because i don't want to have my current supervisor knowing i'm looking for other work until i'm near the end of the process and the likely hood of me actually leaving his high.
Application Package - 2020/02/05
ACT and APCAT - Passed 2020/02/08
A-PREP -
BDI -
Polygraph -
Psychological -
Medical -
Background -

JEagle10
Regular Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am
Contact:

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby JEagle10 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:39 am

BluelineAlberta wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:51 am
privatryan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm
First time poster here, I have my PDI in a few weeks and I need to have my reference letters done asap. Is there criteria the references should follow, certain points needing to be covered? I went through a file manager swap so there seems to be a few things missing and out of place.

Thanks!
I just submitted my application, they ask for reference letters? From whom do they ask to get them from? I ask because i don't want to have my current supervisor knowing i'm looking for other work until i'm near the end of the process and the likely hood of me actually leaving his high.
If I recall you need 8 references and then 5 reference letters. Although the 5 letters can’t be from the 8 references initially put on the application.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], SemrushBot and 5 guests