Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

constablemurtis
Rookie Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby constablemurtis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:12 pm

Great, thanks.

toban13
Rookie Member

Postby toban13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Hey just wondering if anyone could give me some help with the ACT. I did my written testing in Winnipeg when the recruiting unit came down last October. The first time was in 2015 when they came to Winnipeg and I passed the APACT no problem and found it really easy (even after the recruiters told us that it was way harder the then the ACT), but I have failed the ACT a total of 3 times now. I have to wait till October to do it again and if I fail again, it is a 2 year wait. I don't know how to really study for it. I have been reading books, stopped using auto correct, and have started studying some English for grammar and what not but I could really use some advice. How can I improve my English? Particularly spelling, vocabulary, and grammar (the 3 parts of the ACT).

redder

Postby redder » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 pm

toban13 wrote:Hey just wondering if anyone could give me some help with the ACT. I did my written testing in Winnipeg when the recruiting unit came down last October. The first time was in 2015 when they came to Winnipeg and I passed the APACT no problem and found it really easy (even after the recruiters told us that it was way harder the then the ACT), but I have failed the ACT a total of 3 times now. I have to wait till October to do it again and if I fail again, it is a 2 year wait. I don't know how to really study for it. I have been reading books, stopped using auto correct, and have started studying some English for grammar and what not but I could really use some advice. How can I improve my English? Particularly spelling, vocabulary, and grammar (the 3 parts of the ACT).
I found Police Prep.ca handy. It has lots of practice exams (look beyond just one force) and will give you feedback. Otherwise, I'd recommend looking at Grade 12 English study materials. As it's one of the diploma exam years in AB, there should be a lot of resources available online.
AB Applicant

Troop #4: 2019/04/29

vsharma
Rookie Member

Postby vsharma » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:35 am

toban13 wrote:Hey just wondering if anyone could give me some help with the ACT. I did my written testing in Winnipeg when the recruiting unit came down last October. The first time was in 2015 when they came to Winnipeg and I passed the APACT no problem and found it really easy (even after the recruiters told us that it was way harder the then the ACT), but I have failed the ACT a total of 3 times now. I have to wait till October to do it again and if I fail again, it is a 2 year wait. I don't know how to really study for it. I have been reading books, stopped using auto correct, and have started studying some English for grammar and what not but I could really use some advice. How can I improve my English? Particularly spelling, vocabulary, and grammar (the 3 parts of the ACT).
I did the ACT and APCAT a couple days and for sure policeprep helps. However, the tests on Police prep are easy compared to the actual tests. I heard the books are pretty good as well, but I only used Police Prep and passed.

Heisen_burger
Rookie Member

Postby Heisen_burger » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:14 am

Well I got the call August 21st, 2018 at 10am while on vacation, RTC 145; Couldn't be more excited and proud!

Beadwindow
Rookie Member

Postby Beadwindow » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:55 am

Foxtrot1 wrote: I'm posted to CFB Kingston and I'm in the middle of an application with a Police service as well, there is a canforgen (I'll try and find which exact one) that stipulates a member may (MAY) be released within 3 weeks if an offer to a police service is provided.

Also, my COC told me they would do everything they can should I receive an offer, granted you have no pending charges or TCATS you should be okay to release with no issues, a buddy of mine who's also a member was released within 3 weeks to join the RCMP and another buddy was told nope, 6 months, and the police service he was accepted to just granted him a later troop date so all worked out in the end.

Talk to your COC, I find that if they like you and your track record isn't garbage you'll be okay.

M.
I'm less concerned with my CoC than with my Branch career management to be honest. Realistically, if it was going to be that much of an issue, I'd probably push for an LWOP while waiting, I know it's been done.

If you could find the CANFORGEN, that would be great. I just started post-deployment leave, and am avoiding the go-into-work black-hole.

Loadie
King Poobah

Postby Loadie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:37 pm

Let your CoC know what’s going on! If they’re anything like mine were you shouldn’t have an issue!

Beadwindow
Rookie Member

Postby Beadwindow » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:12 pm

My immediate CoC is aware of my plan, and seems pretty supportive. In the meantime, just found out about the recruiting visit to Toronto, and as I'll still be on leave, seems like it would be a wasted opportunity if I didn't go.

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:37 am

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I have decided not to submit my application.

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone on this forum for all of your help, advice, and assistance.

I would also like to thank every police office that currently serves, has served, and will serve. I amongst many can never thank or repay you enough. I shall continue to live vicariously through you, and every police vehicle and officer I see, I will forever regret not being amongst you.

I will delete my account on this forum as I believe I no longer belong here.

Thank you so much for everything, best of luck!
Currently a civilian - EPS hopeful
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

~Even the helpful need help~

mkt
Rookie Member

Postby mkt » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:13 am

Sorry to see you go, but may I ask why the change of heart?

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Obviously one does not come to such a decision lightly. There are many factors involved, some of which are personal; I doubt my decisions would influence you or anyone else. Be that as it may I am less inclined to post publicly of my reasons and if you're looking to know more you may contact me privately.

Let's just say in simple terms that it doesn't seem to be in the cards for me.

Rather than drone on I think I'll leave it at that.
Currently a civilian - EPS hopeful
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

~Even the helpful need help~

Beadwindow
Rookie Member

Postby Beadwindow » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Well, quick update:

Received my results for the ACT/APCAT that I wrote in Toronto a week and a half ago, and I was successful with both. In hindsight, very happy with my choice to sign up for a PolicePrep account.

Currently getting everything up to date and putting it all together to submit my application package, hopefully by the end of the month.

Vsj
Rookie Member

Postby Vsj » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Can anyone tell me what are the start and finish timings for act/Apcat?

baby_james
Rookie Member

Postby baby_james » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:08 pm

Im doing the practicum program with EPS I am coming from Lethbridge College, I just got my enahnced security clearance in addition I have passed the written tests. I am interested to know what practicum students usually do ultimately I will be happy with whatever it is I am tasked to do but was wondering if anyone has experience in this area?

BigBrett_25
Rookie Member

Postby BigBrett_25 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 pm

Baby_James.. Do you mean like a field placement? What Division, I was from MacEwan and went to Downtown division. I did mostly collision reports at the front counter i imagine you'd be doing the same. I was their for a semester 200 hours total (4 months) complete volunteer hours.