Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Stark
Veteran Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Stark » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 pm

GurjB wrote:Anyone in stage 8 have an idea of how long EPS would give an out of town applicant (if successful) time to prepare and be in Edmonton. ie. when would they call "us" to inform us we have been invited to RTC- if RTC class is scheduled for Aug 2018.
Thanks
I was out of province and think I had about 5 weeks although there were a lot of people in my class who had less notice including many from out of province.

sarahjessicaparker
Rookie Member

Postby sarahjessicaparker » Sat May 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Have my BDI Interview next week and can't think of any examples for BDI?

Anyone have advice or will I have to end up winging it?

Jframer7
Grand Poobah

Postby Jframer7 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:43 pm

sarahjessicaparker wrote:Have my BDI Interview next week and can't think of any examples for BDI?

I do not recommend winging it. I believe there is some advice on joineps.ca about it. Everybody has examples it’s just thinking about times you had a situation and how you responded and the outcome.

They may ask you a question or two that will have you thinking on your feet, but definitely you should have prepared examples walking in the door.

Stark
Veteran Member

Postby Stark » Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 pm

sarahjessicaparker wrote:Have my BDI Interview next week and can't think of any examples for BDI?

I'd also suggest making sure you're prepared. It's the one interview where you're almost guaranteeing failure if you haven't prepped. As Jframer suggested, look through the examples on joineps and I'd suggest trying to come up with at least 2-3 examples for each competency. Also check out the BDI workshop presentation that they now have listed online which really tells you everything you need to know. Prepare each of your examples using the STAR model and be able to go into detail.

You may find that you're asked a question about initiative/perseverance but that none of the examples you prepared for that competency work for the specific question asked. However, you may find that one of your examples for say stress management works so you can use that one. That's why preparation is key.

If you're really struggling coming up with examples, read out the competencies and descriptions to your family and close friends and see if they come up with an example that jogs your memory and build off that.

GurjB
Rookie Member

Postby GurjB » Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am

All competencies connect in some way. So if you cant think of one for a certain competency , try to make one of your other relatable stories connect. STAR STAR STAR!!

wxj92
Rookie Member

Postby wxj92 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Like others had mentioned before you definitely want to prepare before your BDI. Like many steps throughout the application process your commitment, determination, and preparedness are all being assessed as well. If you don't have any answers for the BDI specific competencies you may need to dig deeper into past experiences or work on getting further life experience. The interview process is based upon the principles that past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour. So it would be deceitful to use someone's example if you hadn't encountered the same experience previously.

thekazjed
Rookie Member

Postby thekazjed » Sat May 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Alright. So had a minor set back. Nothing too major. Passed my ACT. Failed my APCAT by 2 points. However. This won’t be the end of me trying to get I . I tell you what.

wxj92
Rookie Member

Postby wxj92 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:24 pm

thekazjed wrote:Alright. So had a minor set back. Nothing too major. Passed my ACT. Failed my APCAT by 2 points. However. This won’t be the end of me trying to get I . I tell you what.
Best of luck on your second time around!

rayanna89
Rookie Member

Postby rayanna89 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:39 pm

My fitness is not that great at all- on the poor side so will it be okay for me to still join the run with recruiters? I feel embarrassed going knowing i'll for sure hold everyone back...I do want to submit my application at the end of the year so I need to get over my fear of embarrassment and just do it!

Jframer7
Grand Poobah

Postby Jframer7 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:14 pm

rayanna89 wrote:My fitness is not that great at all- on the poor side so will it be okay for me to still join the run with recruiters? I feel embarrassed going knowing i'll for sure hold everyone back...I do want to submit my application at the end of the year so I need to get over my fear of embarrassment and just do it!
I would do it. If fitness is an area to work on it’s a great idea. They will help you and push you to succeed.

thekazjed
Rookie Member

Postby thekazjed » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:50 pm

I must say.

Applying for Edmonton Police has been wonderful. Granted unfortunately that I failed my APCAT by 2 points. My file coordinator was treamendous. He called me roughly a week later and right away asked when I was going to come back and rewrite the test. He stated and his words exact “WHEN you pass the APCAT, I’m going to fire your file off and I want you up within a week if possible for you to run the APREP. We’re not going to lose momentum on this.” So just the sheer wanting of me and boosting my confidence in this process has been amazing. I certainly hope and pray that I can join the ranks of such a fine service. Please note this is not me trying to kiss @$$, and brown nose my way in. I just wanted to share my experience thus far.

Beadwindow
Rookie Member

Postby Beadwindow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 am

Good Day all,

first post, but long-time lurker.

I'm an out-of-province military member, but was previously posted to Edmonton and I am starting to look into beginning the application process for EPS.

I know that someone had previously asked about this, and that you can buy into the EPS pension with a military one, but has anyone who's done the switch before have any information on how much time they got? I've been playing around with the pension calculator on the SFPP website, but if there's anyone who's been through it and would be willing to share, it could probably shed a little more light on it for me.

Also, has anyone had any issues with processing a release when offered employment wrt release timelines?

Thanks,

Beadwindow

constablemurtis
Rookie Member

Postby constablemurtis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Good day all,

I recently submitted an application online to the EPS, and had subsequently filled out several additional online forms. My file states that an Admin Review had occurred on August 1, and a background check had occurred on August 3.

I'm just curious as to know how long anyone who has recently applied online has waited to hear about next steps in the process. Also, I am an out-of-province applicant from SK.

Thanks!

Foxtrot1
Veteran Member

Postby Foxtrot1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Beadwindow wrote:Good Day all,

first post, but long-time lurker.

I'm an out-of-province military member, but was previously posted to Edmonton and I am starting to look into beginning the application process for EPS.

I know that someone had previously asked about this, and that you can buy into the EPS pension with a military one, but has anyone who's done the switch before have any information on how much time they got? I've been playing around with the pension calculator on the SFPP website, but if there's anyone who's been through it and would be willing to share, it could probably shed a little more light on it for me.

Also, has anyone had any issues with processing a release when offered employment wrt release timelines?

Thanks,

Beadwindow
I'm posted to CFB Kingston and I'm in the middle of an application with a Police service as well, there is a canforgen (I'll try and find which exact one) that stipulates a member may (MAY) be released within 3 weeks if an offer to a police service is provided.

Also, my COC told me they would do everything they can should I receive an offer, granted you have no pending charges or TCATS you should be okay to release with no issues, a buddy of mine who's also a member was released within 3 weeks to join the RCMP and another buddy was told nope, 6 months, and the police service he was accepted to just granted him a later troop date so all worked out in the end.

Talk to your COC, I find that if they like you and your track record isn't garbage you'll be okay.

M.
NCR APP

Foxtrot1
Veteran Member

Postby Foxtrot1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:59 pm

constablemurtis wrote:Good day all,

I recently submitted an application online to the EPS, and had subsequently filled out several additional online forms. My file states that an Admin Review had occurred on August 1, and a background check had occurred on August 3.

I'm just curious as to know how long anyone who has recently applied online has waited to hear about next steps in the process. Also, I am an out-of-province applicant from SK.

Thanks!
After sending in my application, I was notified that I'd be granted 1 week to get all testing done with all specific dates 2 weeks after application was received.

It's always case by case though.

M
NCR APP