Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

MRKB

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby MRKB » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 pm

I went to an information session last night. They said as of right now they don't have definite numbers for next year however they are looking at 90 - 100 recruits. This would be over 3 classes. Dates are not set yet but they would be spaced out throughout the year with the first probably around March.

Mike
Police Officer

GeeGee
Veteran Member

Postby GeeGee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Read a couple posts ahead of you and you’ll have your answer.[/quote]

I did see that they were hiring 110 positions in the new year but unsure of how they were planning to stagger them, I imagine it would be similar to this year, 4 classes of 30 or so?

The last class that is available on the EPS site is later this month (my old boss is starting RTC 142 this month) I was just curious what would be available for the middle of next year as I expect my application to take ~6 months.

I will just continue with my application and making sure I have everything I need submitted and go from there, maybe in the near future they will provide an update.

Thanks.[/quote]

I believe after the November class the next will be April 2018[/quote]
that is correct i confirmed that with my File Manager...April August and November
CPPS

GurjB
Rookie Member

Postby GurjB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:59 am

Hello

I read someone say "DON'T assume if you fail then all of the appointments are cancelled", Are you saying this as a confidence booster and stay focused on the task at hand, or do you know of out of town applicants moving onto the next stages even though they may have not been successful on a certain stage? Due to applicants being from out of town , would or does the EPS allow applicants go through the full stages to help them build experience knowing they may have not been successful at a previous stage?

Thanks for any guidance.

JADreiling
Rookie Member

Postby JADreiling » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 pm

GurjB wrote:Hello

I read someone say "DON'T assume if you fail then all of the appointments are cancelled", Are you saying this as a confidence booster and stay focused on the task at hand, or do you know of out of town applicants moving onto the next stages even though they may have not been successful on a certain stage? Due to applicants being from out of town , would or does the EPS allow applicants go through the full stages to help them build experience knowing they may have not been successful at a previous stage?

Thanks for any guidance.
I just completed the interview process in Edmonton as an out-of-province applicant. Everything that I have read said that failure at any stage would result in the cancellation of future appointments. The only exception I've possibly seen is if you are not allowed to run the A-Prep due to high blood pressure and lack of pre-medical clearance, the remainder of the appointments MAY be cancelled. Hence, do you homework, take it one stage at a time, and do your best. It is a tough week, but completing all the stages in one week has its advantages.

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 pm

MRKB wrote:I went to an information session last night. They said as of right now they don't have definite numbers for next year however they are looking at 90 - 100 recruits. This would be over 3 classes. Dates are not set yet but they would be spaced out throughout the year with the first probably around March.

Mike
How many applicants though?
LEO

Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Postby Shawshank » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
MRKB wrote:I went to an information session last night. They said as of right now they don't have definite numbers for next year however they are looking at 90 - 100 recruits. This would be over 3 classes. Dates are not set yet but they would be spaced out throughout the year with the first probably around March.

Mike
Does it really matter? If you’re a slug, they won’t hire you just to fill
Numbers.
K division.

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 am

Shawshank wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:

Mike
Does it really matter? If you’re a slug, they won’t hire you just to fill
Numbers.
Well of course it matters.....even if you're a really good candidate, if there are 100 spots but 3000 applicants, your chances aren't all that great and you probably shouldn't be throwing all your eggs into one basket.

When I was hired by my service, I think there were 2700 applications that year, due to Toronto still being on that hiring freeze; which is why I didn't put all my hope/faith into a single service and spread applications around the province.
LEO

MRKB

Postby MRKB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:33 am

Slovak4188 wrote:

Mike
Ummm.... Unless they have a souped up Delorean there is no way to know how many people will apply over the following 12 months. They will accept as many applications as are put in.

As a reference though I know a lot of people that have applied to the EPS. Every single person I know that has been hired made a strong commitment to attending the "run with recruiters" sessions. I know a bunch that didn't feel the need to attend and they didn't get hired. Some of those applied multiple times. By changing nothing in their application other than attending the sessions they got hired. I know one guy that thought he was getting deferred for sure but was a consistent attendee. One day at a run one of the upper officers came over, asked him his name, then sent him back to working out. The next day he got the call from that person that he was hired. I also know a girl that attended almost every session. She applied and was put through the entire application in 18 days. She got hired.

The whole point is that the EPS has physical fitness as one of their top priorities. If you want a chance be in great condition. If you live local to here don't expect to get hired without attending the run with the recruiters. Not only are you showing commitment you can also show off the person that you are (try hard, never give up, help your team though adversity).

Mike
Police Officer

Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Postby Shawshank » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 am

Slovak4188 wrote: Well of course it matters.....even if you're a really good candidate, if there are 100 spots but 3000 applicants, your chances aren't all that great and you probably shouldn't be throwing all your eggs into one basket.

When I was hired by my service, I think there were 2700 applications that year, due to Toronto still being on that hiring freeze; which is why I didn't put all my hope/faith into a single service and spread applications around the province.
I know what you are saying, but really, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket anyways. Many people take multiple attempts to get hired on. Take a look at who you want to work for and where you want to live. Apply there. To worry about how many people are applying, is worrying about something you have no control over, and the numbers don't paint the whole picture. Chances are, half those people shouldn't have applied in the first place. Just worry about putting together a complete package.
K division.

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote: Well of course it matters.....even if you're a really good candidate, if there are 100 spots but 3000 applicants, your chances aren't all that great and you probably shouldn't be throwing all your eggs into one basket.

I know what you are saying, but really, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket anyways. Many people take multiple attempts to get hired on. Take a look at who you want to work for and where you want to live. Apply there. To worry about how many people are applying, is worrying about something you have no control over, and the numbers don't paint the whole picture. Chances are, half those people shouldn't have applied in the first place. Just worry about putting together a complete package.
Complete package? I'm not applying lol. I already work for a service. Was just asking. 4188 is not a random assortment of numbers haha.

And I agree, you're telling someone who applied for 6 years lol. I just wanted to know the number of spots because I'm trying to encourage a few pals to apply and was curious if they mentioned their average amount of applications before they shut down the posting.

IF** they shut down the posting. I know we probably have a hard cap as we are the 3rd largest municipal service in Canada, so they take down the posting after a week to a month, depending on quality/quantity/skills.
Last edited by Slovak4188 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEO

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 pm

MRKB wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:

Mike
Ummm.... Unless they have a souped up Delorean there is no way to know how many people will apply over the following 12 months. They will accept as many applications as are put in.

As a reference though I know a lot of people that have applied to the EPS. Every single person I know that has been hired made a strong commitment to attending the "run with recruiters" sessions. I know a bunch that didn't feel the need to attend and they didn't get hired. Some of those applied multiple times. By changing nothing in their application other than attending the sessions they got hired. I know one guy that thought he was getting deferred for sure but was a consistent attendee. One day at a run one of the upper officers came over, asked him his name, then sent him back to working out. The next day he got the call from that person that he was hired. I also know a girl that attended almost every session. She applied and was put through the entire application in 18 days. She got hired.

The whole point is that the EPS has physical fitness as one of their top priorities. If you want a chance be in great condition. If you live local to here don't expect to get hired without attending the run with the recruiters. Not only are you showing commitment you can also show off the person that you are (try hard, never give up, help your team though adversity).

Mike
...Please see my first reply just above this one lol.

And false. Most services will cap at a certain number of applications due to volume and having to go through all of the resumes. They also have stats which they track, so yes, they can ballpark how many applicants they will get.

Why are so many of you so snippy? Good grief.
LEO

MRKB

Postby MRKB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Slovak4188 wrote: ...Please see my first reply just above this one lol.

And false. Most services will cap at a certain number of applications due to volume and having to go through all of the resumes. They also have stats which they track, so yes, they can ballpark how many applicants they will get.

I don't think I was being "snippy". I was answering your question which I assumed was directed at me as you quoted me. And you asked about the EPS and not "most services". The EPS accepts (and has for many years) applications 365 days of the year. They are looking for the best applicants. Not the best applicants that can apply in a week or a month.

As for your friends. If they want to work in Edmonton they should apply. They need to remember that Edmonton is a cold place to live. If they can handle that then they should go for it. They won't know unless they try.

Mike
Police Officer

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 pm

MRKB wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote: ...Please see my first reply just above this one lol.

I don't think I was being "snippy". I was answering your question which I assumed was directed at me as you quoted me. And you asked about the EPS and not "most services". The EPS accepts (and has for many years) applications 365 days of the year. They are looking for the best applicants. Not the best applicants that can apply in a week or a month.

As for your friends. If they want to work in Edmonton they should apply. They need to remember that Edmonton is a cold place to live. If they can handle that then they should go for it. They won't know unless they try.

Mike
And I quote:
"Ummm.... Unless they have a souped up Delorean there is no way to know how many people will apply over the following 12 months."

Doesn't exactly sound too polite now does it? I wonder if any other of the LEO's here get these kind of responses after asking a legit question :ponder: If you don't believe it was impolite or snippy, please go on and use that same line or a similar line on your recruiter when they say something you disagree with or when they ask a question.

Anyways, best of luck to all of you lol. I will pass on the info.
Last edited by Slovak4188 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
LEO

Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Postby Shawshank » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Slovak4188 wrote: Complete package? I'm not applying lol. I already work for a service. Was just asking. 4188 is not a random assortment of numbers haha.

And I agree, you're telling someone who applied for 6 years lol. I just wanted to know the number of spots because I'm trying to encourage a few pals to apply and was curious if they mentioned their average amount of applications before they shut down the posting.

IF** they shut down the posting. I know we probably have a hard cap as we are the 3rd largest municipal service in Canada, so they take down the posting after a week to a month, depending on quality/quantity/skills.
This makes more sense to me, at first I took you as an applicant wanting to know, thinking it would change the chances, not wanting to know if they shut down the pool.
K division.

Hired Goon
King Poobah

Postby Hired Goon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:11 pm

MRKB wrote: If you live local to here don't expect to get hired without attending the run with the recruiters.

Mike
Not an accurate statement.

It is helpful for those who need help in their fitness. Certainly not a deal breaker.
Hired Goon