Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
GeeGee
Rookie Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby GeeGee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Any updates on the exact date on the next class? Website says november but no date. Hows the process for everyone? Im waiting for my psych results to come in so i can move on to BGI. Goin on week 5 now....anyone selling patience i can buy/rent? Lol

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:34 am

GeeGee wrote:Any updates on the exact date on the next class? Website says november but no date. Hows the process for everyone? Im waiting for my psych results to come in so i can move on to BGI. Goin on week 5 now....anyone selling patience i can buy/rent? Lol

Its November 27

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Jframer7 wrote:
GeeGee wrote:Any updates on the exact date on the next class? Website says november but no date. Hows the process for everyone? Im waiting for my psych results to come in so i can move on to BGI. Goin on week 5 now....anyone selling patience i can buy/rent? Lol

Its November 27

No offers though yet eh?

Viet
Rookie Member

Postby Viet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:41 pm

Murgz wrote:
Viet wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in joining the EPS. I will be attending the Ottawa Recruiting Trip on Oct 27th. After reading the Join EPS website carefully, I have a few questions I would like to ask:

- I have no previous experience or education about policing (graduating in December with a Marketing degree). Would this be a major drawback?
- I haven't had a full G driver license (equivalent to class 5 in Alberta, I believe). Can I start the application process and earn my Class 5 later on, since I am aware that the recruiting process can take a long time? Or do I have to have Class 5 license before starting the process?
- What can I do/learn to improve my employability? I will be taking First Aid/CPR classes soon.
- Does EPS offer language training? I'm a naturalized citizen, my English is great (I think), but I'm not yet comfortable with police abbreviations or radio conversations

Beside from that, can you describe how competitive the recruiting process will be? On average how many people are applying during a month? What is the apply/hired ratio?
My main concern is the lack of education/experience in policing. All I have is my genuine drive to help and protect other people from their hardship. It's in my personality.

Thank you for your time!

The EPS wants diversity and most people think having education about policing is a benefit. If you read through these forums, most people will say that its a drawback to have education in policing. So for you Marketing degree should be no problems.

A class 5 license is required at the time of application, along with a drivers abstract.

The best thing you can do to build yourself up is gain life experience. This can be done by getting involved in your community.

The recruiting process is going to be competitive, if this is a path you want to go down I suggest you get everything in place and go for it.

Hi,
Thank you for your response.

I went to the Ottawa Recruiting Trip and passed the ACT and APCAT on my first try (I only scored 75% on the APCAT tho). This gave me a some morale boost since I'm aware how competitive the whole process will be. (Constable Dennis Lewis disclosed that the EPS will hire 110 new officers in 2018)

You mentioned about building life experience by getting involved in the community, can you make some suggestion? I'm thinking about volunteering at local homeless shelters. I assume that would expose me to the type of environment police officers will be in.

Also, since I'm an out-of-province candidate, EPS states that they would try to have all tests over a one-week period. It sounds really intense because each interview/test will take approximately 4 hours long, and if I fail 1 stage, the rest will be canceled. Has anyone had some experience with this?

Thank you!

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:21 am

Viet wrote:
Murgz wrote:
Viet wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in joining the EPS. I will be attending the Ottawa Recruiting Trip on Oct 27th. After reading the Join EPS website carefully, I have a few questions I would like to ask:

- I have no previous experience or education about policing (graduating in December with a Marketing degree). Would this be a major drawback?
- I haven't had a full G driver license (equivalent to class 5 in Alberta, I believe). Can I start the application process and earn my Class 5 later on, since I am aware that the recruiting process can take a long time? Or do I have to have Class 5 license before starting the process?
- What can I do/learn to improve my employability? I will be taking First Aid/CPR classes soon.
- Does EPS offer language training? I'm a naturalized citizen, my English is great (I think), but I'm not yet comfortable with police abbreviations or radio conversations

Beside from that, can you describe how competitive the recruiting process will be? On average how many people are applying during a month? What is the apply/hired ratio?
My main concern is the lack of education/experience in policing. All I have is my genuine drive to help and protect other people from their hardship. It's in my personality.

Thank you for your time!

The EPS wants diversity and most people think having education about policing is a benefit. If you read through these forums, most people will say that its a drawback to have education in policing. So for you Marketing degree should be no problems.

A class 5 license is required at the time of application, along with a drivers abstract.

The best thing you can do to build yourself up is gain life experience. This can be done by getting involved in your community.

The recruiting process is going to be competitive, if this is a path you want to go down I suggest you get everything in place and go for it.

Hi,
Thank you for your response.

I went to the Ottawa Recruiting Trip and passed the ACT and APCAT on my first try (I only scored 75% on the APCAT tho). This gave me a some morale boost since I'm aware how competitive the whole process will be. (Constable Dennis Lewis disclosed that the EPS will hire 110 new officers in 2018)

You mentioned about building life experience by getting involved in the community, can you make some suggestion? I'm thinking about volunteering at local homeless shelters. I assume that would expose me to the type of environment police officers will be in.

Also, since I'm an out-of-province candidate, EPS states that they would try to have all tests over a one-week period. It sounds really intense because each interview/test will take approximately 4 hours long, and if I fail 1 stage, the rest will be canceled. Has anyone had some experience with this?

Thank you!

I went through the out of province process and it's way better than sitting and waiting for next step. Just get it out of the way.

Yea it's intense but if you come prepared, you'll be fine. Get yourself fit and ready for the fitness test. Make sure you start prepping for the interview by reviewing the competencies and writing down examples. Practice your examples by saying them out loud in front of a mirror and then to a friend.

The more you practice, the more confidence you'll gain. Don't think that if you fail, rest of the process will be cancelled. You sound like a strong candidate to me. You got this!

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Viet wrote:You mentioned about building life experience by getting involved in the community, can you make some suggestion? I'm thinking about volunteering at local homeless shelters. I assume that would expose me to the type of environment police officers will be in.

No one can tell you how best to gain life experience. Life experience and volunteering to help your community is not something one does to pad their resumé. You gain life experience by getting out of the basement and interacting with people on a daily basis. Volunteering is a lifelong commitment.

YOU need to find the best way to help your community and your fellow human beings; not find something that might look good on your resumé. Unless you have some personal connection or reason to do so, suddenly handing out soup at a homeless shelter is a photo-op for politicians.

While volunteering at a homeless shelter may be a noble idea, there are many other opportunities to help a community. Find something that you would be good at and willing to do no matter where you get hired or sent in the future. Speaking to kids ... coaching ... building Habitat houses ... where is YOUR expertise? You want to help develop social skills and demonstrate leadership, initiative and a high degree of ethics.

Trust me; recruiters know their jobs. They know when someone suddenly shows up to volunteer just to pad a resumé and when someone truly volunteers in a life-long commitment to help their community.

Stark

Postby Stark » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:14 pm

I'll echo Dave when it comes to volunteering. Don't just do something that you think the recruiters will like to see and to pad your resume. Do something that actually interests you and that you'd be passionate about. It doesn't really matter what you do as any kind of volunteering will give you life experience if you're comitted.

I myself had several different types of volunteer gigs but the one I was most passionate about was volunteering at the distress centre where I'd be taking calls. I loved the challenge it presented and how rewarding it was helping those with mental health issues and so because of that I used to do a lot of volunteering there. That in turn helped me when I was going through the process and I was able to use examples from there throughout the process, especially the BDI,

Also similar to allbran, I applied as an out of province candidate and went through all of the steps in a week. It's great to just get it over with rather than potentially waiting months between steps. As allbran said, preparation is key. If you come prepared, you'll be fine.

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:14 pm

They cancelled their trip to the maritimes. I wonder why.
CX

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:57 am

Melanie1 wrote:They cancelled their trip to the maritimes. I wonder why.

Maybe weather?...im just speculating here...theres been lots of snowfall yesterday and today...on another hand...anyone is in background at the moment? Was told my file has been moved to background stage :)

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:59 pm

GeeGee wrote:
Melanie1 wrote:They cancelled their trip to the maritimes. I wonder why.

Maybe weather?...im just speculating here...theres been lots of snowfall yesterday and today...on another hand...anyone is in background at the moment? Was told my file has been moved to background stage :)

it wasn't until November 15 or 16. You would think they would want to come here. 15 to 20 degrees still. haha
CX

Thezdrid
Rookie Member

Postby Thezdrid » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:23 am

Hey, new to the forum.

Does anyone have an idea of how many classes/positions they are looking at hiring for this upcoming year?

I am currently in the process of completing my application, just waiting to write my tests on December 2nd and I have my vision/hearing tests booked for the 20/21st.

Becoming a Police Officer has been a long time dream of mine and I think now is probably a great time for me to apply. I joined the Army back in Feb 2010 so by the time my application gets processed I will be in just over 8 years which I imagine will look good on by behalf.

Nesdolian

Postby Nesdolian » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Thezdrid wrote:Hey, new to the forum.

Does anyone have an idea of how many classes/positions they are looking at hiring for this upcoming year?

Read a couple posts ahead of you and you’ll have your answer.

Thezdrid
Rookie Member

Postby Thezdrid » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 am

Nesdolian wrote:

I did see that they were hiring 110 positions in the new year but unsure of how they were planning to stagger them, I imagine it would be similar to this year, 4 classes of 30 or so?

The last class that is available on the EPS site is later this month (my old boss is starting RTC 142 this month) I was just curious what would be available for the middle of next year as I expect my application to take ~6 months.

I will just continue with my application and making sure I have everything I need submitted and go from there, maybe in the near future they will provide an update.

Thanks.

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Thezdrid wrote:
Nesdolian wrote:

I did see that they were hiring 110 positions in the new year but unsure of how they were planning to stagger them, I imagine it would be similar to this year, 4 classes of 30 or so?

The last class that is available on the EPS site is later this month (my old boss is starting RTC 142 this month) I was just curious what would be available for the middle of next year as I expect my application to take ~6 months.

I will just continue with my application and making sure I have everything I need submitted and go from there, maybe in the near future they will provide an update.

Thanks.

I believe after the November class the next will be April 2018

MRKB
Rookie Member

Postby MRKB » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 pm

I went to an information session last night. They said as of right now they don't have definite numbers for next year however they are looking at 90 - 100 recruits. This would be over 3 classes. Dates are not set yet but they would be spaced out throughout the year with the first probably around March.

Mike
Police Officer