Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
sam89
Rookie Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby sam89 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Anyone applying for November class from BC?

06abrahb
Rookie Member

Postby 06abrahb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:17 am

sam89 wrote:Anyone applying for November class from BC?

I'm applying from BC and in November I have all my testing and evaluations on the week of Nov. 18

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Anyone doing RWR this upcoming Thursday?

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:40 pm

If anyone wants to up their fitness levels-SealFit
Amazing Navy Seal/BUDS style training...the guy who invented it is an ex-seal.
400m lunges-really humbles you lol
Enjoy

JakeWood
Rookie Member

Postby JakeWood » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Patch
Rookie Member

Postby Patch » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:13 pm

I'm curious if anybody has the answer to this question: I am currently a student full-time in Lethbridge and I am interested in applying to EPS. I am wondering if I can perform the ACT and APCAT testing here in Lethbridge, or in Calgary, or would I have to travel to Edmonton to complete the testing specifically with them. Any answers you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Patch

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:25 am

Patch wrote:I'm curious if anybody has the answer to this question: I am currently a student full-time in Lethbridge and I am interested in applying to EPS. I am wondering if I can perform the ACT and APCAT testing here in Lethbridge, or in Calgary, or would I have to travel to Edmonton to complete the testing specifically with them. Any answers you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Patch

Im not sure about other people on this thread BUT ill go on a limb to say that certain questions you may want to ask recruiting directly. Act and apcat are province wide so you can write them with any agency and provide your certificate of results when applying to any other service. Call recruiting to avoid speculation and get an answer and look at the eps website which would list ALL of the information and when recruiters are on the road to conduct tests.

JADreiling
Rookie Member

Postby JADreiling » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 am

Anyone heard of a start date for the November class?

jrscout
Rookie Member

Postby jrscout » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 pm

JADreiling wrote:Anyone heard of a start date for the November class?

November 27th I believe.
Application - March 11th
ACT/APCAT - March 11th
APREP - April 10th
BDI - April 25th
PDI - May 17th
Medical - May 31st
Poly - June 1st
Psych - June 1st
Background - June 20th '17-July 4th
"The Call" - July 28th
RTC #141 - August 14th

GeeGee
Rookie Member

Postby GeeGee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:55 pm

bump!
anyone recently did poly?:) anything?...anyone? lol

JADreiling
Rookie Member

Postby JADreiling » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 am

Just got an invite to attend (hopefully sometime in Dec or Jan) for a week!

jlizz
Rookie Member

Postby jlizz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi, I applied to EPS almost a year ago, and got to the personal disclosure interview, but was deferred afterwards. My deferrel is 2 years with a possible of a 1 year deferrel under the condition that I make myself a more competitive applicant and go back and claim my tip money from working as a server through university. So far I have started volunteering (from not having much volunteer hours at the time of applying), I am taking another policing course, I got my security license and am looking for a security job, went back and claimed my tips and am attending run with the recruiters when it is possible. What has everyone done to make themselves a more competitive applicant and what would you recommend I should do. Thanks so much for any feedback, it is much appreciated.

Murgz
Rookie Member

Postby Murgz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:47 pm

jlizz wrote:Hi, I applied to EPS almost a year ago, and got to the personal disclosure interview, but was deferred afterwards. My deferrel is 2 years with a possible of a 1 year deferrel under the condition that I make myself a more competitive applicant and go back and claim my tip money from working as a server through university. So far I have started volunteering (from not having much volunteer hours at the time of applying), I am taking another policing course, I got my security license and am looking for a security job, went back and claimed my tips and am attending run with the recruiters when it is possible. What has everyone done to make themselves a more competitive applicant and what would you recommend I should do. Thanks so much for any feedback, it is much appreciated.

Similar boat applied over a year ago, made it near the end and received a two year deferral. I actually took a step back as I wanted to focus on some personal things such as getting married. In a sense I think marriage is a commitment and that might help my process when I re-apply. But now that's all done with, going to start getting into shape, and volunteering.

But my file manager left me with this:

• Learn as much as you can about policing
• If you haven’t been on a ride along, make a request through the recruiting office or through someone you might know who is an EPS member.
• Volunteer at something regularly. There are volunteer opportunities at our divisional stations that may be an option, but any volunteering is fine.
• If public speaking is a weakness, take something like Toastmasters.
• Take any leadership opportunities you can.
• Run With Recruiters.
EPS Application Package - 08/12/2016
ACT and APCAT - completed 09/24/2016
A-PREP - completed 11/7/2016
BDI - completed 12/22/2016
PDI - completed 12/28/2016
Psychological - completed 01/13/2016
Polygraph - completed 02/07/2016
Medical
Background

Viet
Rookie Member

Postby Viet » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 am

Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in joining the EPS. I will be attending the Ottawa Recruiting Trip on Oct 27th. After reading the Join EPS website carefully, I have a few questions I would like to ask:

- I have no previous experience or education about policing (graduating in December with a Marketing degree). Would this be a major drawback?
- I haven't had a full G driver license (equivalent to class 5 in Alberta, I believe). Can I start the application process and earn my Class 5 later on, since I am aware that the recruiting process can take a long time? Or do I have to have Class 5 license before starting the process?
- What can I do/learn to improve my employability? I will be taking First Aid/CPR classes soon.
- Does EPS offer language training? I'm a naturalized citizen, my English is great (I think), but I'm not yet comfortable with police abbreviations or radio conversations

Beside from that, can you describe how competitive the recruiting process will be? On average how many people are applying during a month? What is the apply/hired ratio?
My main concern is the lack of education/experience in policing. All I have is my genuine drive to help and protect other people from their hardship. It's in my personality.

Thank you for your time!

Murgz
Rookie Member

Postby Murgz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Viet wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in joining the EPS. I will be attending the Ottawa Recruiting Trip on Oct 27th. After reading the Join EPS website carefully, I have a few questions I would like to ask:

- I have no previous experience or education about policing (graduating in December with a Marketing degree). Would this be a major drawback?
- I haven't had a full G driver license (equivalent to class 5 in Alberta, I believe). Can I start the application process and earn my Class 5 later on, since I am aware that the recruiting process can take a long time? Or do I have to have Class 5 license before starting the process?
- What can I do/learn to improve my employability? I will be taking First Aid/CPR classes soon.
- Does EPS offer language training? I'm a naturalized citizen, my English is great (I think), but I'm not yet comfortable with police abbreviations or radio conversations

Beside from that, can you describe how competitive the recruiting process will be? On average how many people are applying during a month? What is the apply/hired ratio?
My main concern is the lack of education/experience in policing. All I have is my genuine drive to help and protect other people from their hardship. It's in my personality.

Thank you for your time!

The EPS wants diversity and most people think having education about policing is a benefit. If you read through these forums, most people will say that its a drawback to have education in policing. So for you Marketing degree should be no problems.

A class 5 license is required at the time of application, along with a drivers abstract.

The best thing you can do to build yourself up is gain life experience. This can be done by getting involved in your community.

The recruiting process is going to be competitive, if this is a path you want to go down I suggest you get everything in place and go for it.
EPS Application Package - 08/12/2016
ACT and APCAT - completed 09/24/2016
A-PREP - completed 11/7/2016
BDI - completed 12/22/2016
PDI - completed 12/28/2016
Psychological - completed 01/13/2016
Polygraph - completed 02/07/2016
Medical
Background