Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Stark

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Stark » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:52 am

DURTDIVER81 wrote:First time post so I apologize if this is already on here. I wrote the ACT and the APCAT a couple of years ago and passed both. The tests were administered by Edmonton Police Service and I am wondering if anyone knows if they keep the results on file. I am currently filling out the application for EPS and I do not have to paperwork indicating I passed, for I have misplaced them.

Thanks in advanced.

Yeah it's all kept on file so you should be fine. I never needed to produce the letter stating that I passed both tests.

Bomani
Seasoned Member

Postby Bomani » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:56 am

mkowalski25 wrote:Hello,

Does the EPS have any constables who are currently serving in the reserves? is it an accepted "Reason" to have exceptions made to their schedule to attend training / drills?

Regards,

Mr. K

Its been a few years since I patched over to another service. When I was with EPS in 2013 there were members that were also CF members (reserve). There were no alterations made to their scheduling. This is something they did on their own, on their time off.

godinluc
Rookie Member

Postby godinluc » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:50 am

Just passed my ACT and APCAT on Saturday! Woo hoo! I know the odds of getting into the December class are slim to none, but I heard there might be a 3rd class being put together for early next year. Anyone else hear about this? I can always hope!

Dezbryant
Rookie Member

Postby Dezbryant » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:48 am

godinluc wrote:Just passed my ACT and APCAT on Saturday! Woo hoo! I know the odds of getting into the December class are slim to none, but I heard there might be a 3rd class being put together for early next year. Anyone else hear about this? I can always hope!

Yeah, same. There is a long gap between December and June. I'm hoping they put a class together for February.
OPS APP - Oct/17
PBQ- Jan/18
LFI- Mar/18
ECI- Apr/18
Psych Interview-Jun/18
BGI- Sept-Oct/2018
Final review Decision-?

RCMP APP-07/17
RMAQ - 09/17
PEP- 03/18 (* Rec 4/18*)
F.I - 05/18
Pysch/Med-06/18 (*Rec 08/17*)
FSR- 07/18
SC- 07/18 (*Rec?*)

tazz12345
Rookie Member

Postby tazz12345 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 pm

There is more than enough time for more hires for December, be optimistic. There are a lot of people who have been hired a week or two before the class starts. As far as recruit training squeezing in an extra class on short notice, I highly doubt that. The classes are usually planned long in advance as there is a tremendous amount of work and preparation that needs to be done by the RTU, TTU, and Firearms training staff, including scheduling of lecturers, booking of venues, not to mention the beast of logistics that is driving training. In addition, Griesbach training centre is more than likely being demolished in november or december and training will be moved to a different venue before the northwest campus opens up, there may not be room for an extra class.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:32 pm

It's anticipated that there will be 3 classes next year. The start dates haven't been set yet. So February is a possibility.

The training centre move will be sometime in the spring.
Hired Goon

tpf94
Rookie Member

Postby tpf94 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:13 am

Hey, new guy here.

I have two questions about the recruitment process:

1.) Would my application be denied if I sold drugs prior to when I was under 18 but never actually charged? This was over 6-7 years ago to present date but will be more like 8-9 years when I actually apply after I go to school for police studies.

2.) Is volunteer experience mandatory? If so what's the minimum and what would be the best experience if any? I had my eyes set on working with the RCMP and or EPS volunteering sector.

Thanks!
Last edited by tpf94 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PolarisLTZ
Rookie Member

Postby PolarisLTZ » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:34 am

tpf94 wrote:Hey, new guy here.

1.) Would my application be denied if I sold drugs prior to when I was 18 but never actually charged? This was over 6-7 years ago to present date but will be more like 8-9 years when I actually apply after I go to school for police studies.

2.) Is volunteer experience mandatory? If so what's the minimum and what would be the best experience if any? I had my eyes set on working with the RCMP and or EPS volunteering sector.

Thanks!

No one can answer your first question on here, nor is that something you should ask in a public forum. I would think you should call a recruiter and discuss those concerns with them before moving forward.

As for volunteering it's certainly not mandatory but think about the job your applying for and how integrated you'll have to be in a community. volunteering is going to give you a range of skills and tools to build upon while working towards becoming a police officer. You should want to volunteer in your community if this is a career you'd like to pursue.

tpf94
Rookie Member

Postby tpf94 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:46 pm

PolarisLTZ wrote:

1.) Would my application be denied if I sold drugs prior to when I was 18 but never actually charged? This was over 6-7 years ago to present date but will be more like 8-9 years when I actually apply after I go to school for police studies.

Thanks!

No one can answer your first question on here, nor is that something you should ask in a public forum. I would think you should call a recruiter and discuss those concerns with them before moving forward.

As for volunteering it's certainly not mandatory but think about the job your applying for and how integrated you'll have to be in a community. volunteering is going to give you a range of skills and tools to build upon while working towards becoming a police officer. You should want to volunteer in your community if this is a career you'd like to pursue.

Alright, thank you for your suggestion.

I planned on volunteering with the RCMP or EPS while I go to school for police studies and I actually planned on going to school to learn french since I can speak, write, understand English, Tagalog and French would be up next. I was recommended to multi-bilingual through friends that are MP's and have family that are now EPS or RCMP.

Would there be a specific language that would be more beneficial to the force? I thought French since it is our second language but then there is Russian which you can understand and speak some Ukrainian so it's almost like two languages in one then there is Farsi with the large amount of refugees coming in that would be another good language to learn..any personal thoughts?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:32 am

Thanks!

Here are the issues. You were a drug dealer. You didn't just use them recreationally a few times; you ACTIVELY supported organized crime by selling drugs. If you were ever hired, there is not an officer in Canada who would want to ride beside you. Organized crime has killed police officers. Friends and colleagues have died because of money generated by street dealers like you. (You ARE aware that four RCMP officers died one day because a nutbar cop killer was trying to protect a grow op?)

While it is not up to anyone on this forum to judge and is entirely up to your recruiter, don't be surprised if you are considered un-hireable. In my honest opinion, I think you need to take another 5 or 10 years at least; find a career that you excel in, and really prove that you have left that lifestyle long behind you.

I know this is tough news to hear, but consider there is a HUGE difference between some casual drug use and actually selling drugs.

And, by the way, if you try to conceal this fact from your recruiters, you will be found out and deferred for life, so you need to really come clean with your recruiter. Also understand a lot of officers are not going to want to work beside you.

Some days I wish every person would listen to a lesson that was taught to me as a 13-year-old in Air Cadets almost 50 years ago - the decisions you make as a young person, may have consequences that will affect the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

So I apologize for explaining what may be the brutal truth. Even if I am wrong, you still have a long tough road ahead of you to overcome your past. I guess the next 10 years will show what you are really made of. You have some challenges ahead of you.

As for the volunteering question, recruiters know their jobs. They will know right away if you are really devoted to helping out your community, or if you are just picking volunteering opportunities to pad your resume. Volunteering and community should be lifetime commitments.

I am actually surprised that you were accepted into a police studies program with your history as a drug dealer.

tpf94
Rookie Member

Postby tpf94 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Dave Brown wrote:

Thanks!

Here are the issues. You were a drug dealer. You didn't just use them recreationally a few times; you ACTIVELY supported organized crime by selling drugs. If you were ever hired, there is not an officer in Canada who would want to ride beside you. Organized crime has killed police officers. Friends and colleagues have died because of money generated by street dealers like you. (You ARE aware that four RCMP officers died one day because a nutbar cop killer was trying to protect a grow op?)

While it is not up to anyone on this forum to judge and is entirely up to your recruiter, don't be surprised if you are considered un-hireable. In my honest opinion, I think you need to take another 5 or 10 years at least; find a career that you excel in, and really prove that you have left that lifestyle long behind you.

I know this is tough news to hear, but consider there is a HUGE difference between some casual drug use and actually selling drugs.

And, by the way, if you try to conceal this fact from your recruiters, you will be found out and deferred for life, so you need to really come clean with your recruiter. Also understand a lot of officers are not going to want to work beside you.

Some days I wish every person would listen to a lesson that was taught to me as a 13-year-old in Air Cadets almost 50 years ago - the decisions you make as a young person, may have consequences that will affect the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

So I apologize for explaining what may be the brutal truth. Even if I am wrong, you still have a long tough road ahead of you to overcome your past. I guess the next 10 years will show what you are really made of. You have some challenges ahead of you.

As for the volunteering question, recruiters know their jobs. They will know right away if you are really devoted to helping out your community, or if you are just picking volunteering opportunities to pad your resume. Volunteering and community should be lifetime commitments.

I am actually surprised that you were accepted into a police studies program with your history as a drug dealer.

*EDIT - ADDED ON. I just noticed I said when I was 18..this was when I was UNDER the age of 18 years old.*

Hey, nothing personal. I'm glad you told me the truth then straight up lied to me.

Yes I wish I had that type of guidance when I was younger however now I want to do nothing but protect my community, and put those truly responsible (evil masterminds) behind locked bars and mentor younger children that unfortunately went down that path or are thinking of it.

Just my personal opinion I don't like the fact that you are labeled from things that you have done as a child, I'm not trying to avoid my mistakes or make excuses for it but kids do make stupid mistakes and should not be labeled for the rest of their lives especially if they want to now turn around to serve and protect their community but in no offense to anyone it seems that you have to be a goody good in order to become one.

I was never violent but nevertheless as a child I never knew I was in-directly assisting those organized crime groups since now I want to dismantle them or at least put a dent in them.

Mind you this was over 6-7 years ago and by the time I actually submit my application this incident would be over 9-10 years ago maybe 11 as I would like to give back to my community and I am currently working in a similar field building experience also learning multiple other languages to be uni-lingual.

I personally live with the regret of what I have done even though I was far from anything you would consider big (lol)..I am now older and realize what I have done and this is the primary reason for enrolling in the force and especially volunteering so I can in a way pay my community back.

But anyways I don't plan on hiding it when that day comes and will explain as much as I can remember..keep in mind this is something I prefer buried but upon asked I will be truthful.

Thank you again for your honesty, have a good weekend.
Last edited by tpf94 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:47 am

No worries. I respect your honesty and your openness about this. You have taken ownership and responsibility for your actions when you are younger, and most important as far as recruiters are concerned, you are taking positive steps toward changing your life. All that works in your favour.

Working against you, there are very few angels who apply but recruiting is a competitive process. The reason you have a tough road ahead of you - as you know full well - is that lots of applicants chose a lifestyle that didn't include drug use, let alone selling it. Lots of applicants chose to work at McDonalds.

As you know, your recruiter is the only one who can answer your questions for certain. Don't be surprised if they want a lot more years behind you before you apply, but I have been wrong before.

Problems arise when people aren't honest, or they don't take ownership of their mistakes. (No one is perfect.) We have had lots of applicant forum members asking about bad driving records and when they come clean, we find out they tried to fight all their traffic tickets. That is not a good sign.

Also, don't forget that when members of this forum respond to threads, they are not just talking to you; they are talking to the thousands of people who read this forum every day. There is a reason this is one of the most active forums on the net today.

Again, sorry for being brutal, but you need to know this.

And it is a good lesson for others.

tpf94
Rookie Member

Postby tpf94 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Dave Brown wrote:No worries. I respect your honesty and your openness about this. You have taken ownership and responsibility for your actions when you are younger, and most important as far as recruiters are concerned, you are taking positive steps toward changing your life. All that works in your favour.

Working against you, there are very few angels who apply but recruiting is a competitive process. The reason you have a tough road ahead of you - as you know full well - is that lots of applicants chose a lifestyle that didn't include drug use, let alone selling it. Lots of applicants chose to work at McDonalds.

As you know, your recruiter is the only one who can answer your questions for certain. Don't be surprised if they want a lot more years behind you before you apply, but I have been wrong before.

Problems arise when people aren't honest, or they don't take ownership of their mistakes. (No one is perfect.) We have had lots of applicant forum members asking about bad driving records and when they come clean, we find out they tried to fight all their traffic tickets. That is not a good sign.

Also, don't forget that when members of this forum respond to threads, they are not just talking to you; they are talking to the thousands of people who read this forum every day. There is a reason this is one of the most active forums on the net today.

Again, sorry for being brutal, but you need to know this.

And it is a good lesson for others.

Thank you again, your words will stick with me.

Last couple questions, what if you forgot about something in your past or a certain detail within the topic? Would they try to bring it up so I can clear it up? Also how would this be accessible if this is all from when I was under the age of 18?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Everything is accessible. Even if not, everything is disclosable. They will expect you to answer all their questions fully and truthfully. Recruiting is not a one-time deal; it is multi-tiered. This means multiple interviews, written answers and (in many cases) polygraphs.

No one remembers everything. If you think of something to add later, talk to your recruiter. They are human beings just like you and I. They are also good at what they do and will advise you correctly.

PolarisLTZ
Rookie Member

Postby PolarisLTZ » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Has anyone heard when Decembers class is starting? and how many are hired for it?