Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
JADreiling
Rookie Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby JADreiling » Fri May 20, 2016 9:13 am

Jframer7 wrote:
JADreiling wrote:What's the longest amount of time spent as a pre-hire that you've seen? - If 138 starts in Sept. is early August plausible for pre-hire?

I have sometimes seen pre hires for months. They might not waste time hiring somebody in august if class starts in Sept. But I am not in recruiting and don't know the specifics of the prehire program.

By all means, I'll take an earlier offer of employment!ha Thanks for the reply.

Stark

Postby Stark » Fri May 20, 2016 9:31 pm

JADreiling wrote:What's the longest amount of time spent as a pre-hire that you've seen? - If 138 starts in Sept. is early August plausible for pre-hire?

I've seen many be pre-hired for 3 to 4 months.

tazz12345
Rookie Member

Postby tazz12345 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Its very situational. Are there enough positions? Are you quitting your job and moving from another part of the country? Can you be unemployed for a short while and still be ok financially? etc. I'm not in recruiting so I can't give you those answers, your file manager would be the go to for that after you get the big thumbs up for an upcoming class.

JADreiling
Rookie Member

Postby JADreiling » Wed May 25, 2016 8:23 pm

tazz12345 wrote:

Its very situational. Are there enough positions? Are you quitting your job and moving from another part of the country? Can you be unemployed for a short while and still be ok financially? etc. I'm not in recruiting so I can't give you those answers, your file manager would be the go to for that after you get the big thumbs up for an upcoming class.

Yeah I don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched. I still have the week process to attend in June. I'm currently in Ontario and have a housing lease that ends July 31..Would be nice, obviously, to know by then but I was just curious.

Progressive
Rookie Member

Postby Progressive » Thu May 26, 2016 9:39 am

Very unlikely to see your whole process be over by July 31 but I've seen crazier timelines with the EPS before. With the amount of people the EPS is hiring it would be crazy not to apply.

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Sun May 29, 2016 5:52 pm

Hello,

Can someone please clarify for me how the annual fitness standards are measured. I'm trying to build myself up to the standards but I've never been a gym goer so I'm having difficulty understanding the units of measure. I think it might be useful having that information on here for others also.

Combined Grip - (eg: 127kg), can this be equated to a grip strength builder (mine goes to 90lbs and I can do 10 reps fairly easy with both hands)

Pushups - self explanatory

Vertical Jump - (eg: 6209Watts), I've found three formulas online to calculate this from a measured distance; which formula is used for these tests?

Pull Up - (eg: 1138kg), I've only understood these in terms of number (I usually do chin ups but now I'm practicing the pull up) I can do 10 on a good day and 8 regularly; do you just multiply body weight by reps?

Plank - self explanatory

Beep test - self explanatory

VO2 max.- (eg: 51.4mL/kg/min), I understand this is a factor of cardio/ventricular condition (and related to the Beep test) but can it be analyzed at home somehow?

Any additional advice is appreciated, I've been reading through the fitness forum but don't understand most of the information posted.

P.S. (I assume I know the answer already but I like asking questions so...) I've seen videos online of the EPS obstacle course, is it possible to gain access to it for training, perhaps as a supplemental part to the RWR program?

Thank you for your time.
Currently a civilian - EPS hopeful
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

~Even the helpful need help~

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:37 pm

Iceking007 wrote:Hello,

Can someone please clarify for me how the annual fitness standards are measured. I'm trying to build myself up to the standards but I've never been a gym goer so I'm having difficulty understanding the units of measure. I think it might be useful having that information on here for others also.

Combined Grip - (eg: 127kg), can this be equated to a grip strength builder (mine goes to 90lbs and I can do 10 reps fairly easy with both hands)

Pushups - self explanatory

Vertical Jump - (eg: 6209Watts), I've found three formulas online to calculate this from a measured distance; which formula is used for these tests?

Pull Up - (eg: 1138kg), I've only understood these in terms of number (I usually do chin ups but now I'm practicing the pull up) I can do 10 on a good day and 8 regularly; do you just multiply body weight by reps?

Plank - self explanatory

Beep test - self explanatory

VO2 max.- (eg: 51.4mL/kg/min), I understand this is a factor of cardio/ventricular condition (and related to the Beep test) but can it be analyzed at home somehow?

Any additional advice is appreciated, I've been reading through the fitness forum but don't understand most of the information posted.

P.S. (I assume I know the answer already but I like asking questions so...) I've seen videos online of the EPS obstacle course, is it possible to gain access to it for training, perhaps as a supplemental part to the RWR program?

Thank you for your time.

Combined grip is just that. The grip strength of each hand added together. It's a little device that measures your grip. I believe they take two readings from each hand. Any exercises that include grip will help. This is great because you can increase your grip strength as you work on your pull ups. 2 for 1 deal.

Pull-ups is exactly what you think, your weight x reps = the total. They do look for your arm to be fulling extended as you go down and no Kipping or similar movements.

vertical jump is calculated using your weight and the difference between how high your reach is standing and how high you can reach when you do a vertical jump. I don't have the exact formula but if you search for one using this method you will be on the right track.

vo2 max is usually measured on a bike with measuring instruments you breath through. I wouldn't be concerned about it. just focus on the beep test,that's how they will calculate your Vo2 max normally. I don't know if they will give you the bike option in class, I don't think so. After you get through training down the road you can do the Vo2 max instead of beep if you want to.

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Thank you Jframer7,

So would there be anyway to judge how much total grip one has using only a grip spring device and a certain cumulative repetitions?

Also, I'm not sure if you misspelled kicking or you meant to type kipping (not sure what that is) but for pull ups you are not allowed to use your legs correct? Would you be able to bend them back 90° (like you're sitting cross legged in the air), I practice on my stairs so I don't have the clearance to fully extend my legs at home, but I am able to hang - arms fully extended.

Edit: I'm guessing they use the Sayers formula for vertical jump (Watts) it calculates the Peak Anaerobic Power output, the numbers I'm getting are in the ballpark this way.
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:34 pm

Iceking007 wrote:Thank you Jframer7,

So would there be anyway to judge how much total grip one has using only a grip spring device and a certain cumulative repetitions?

Also, I'm not sure if you misspelled kicking or you meant to type kipping (not sure what that is) but for pull ups you are not allowed to use your legs correct? Would you be able to bend them back 90° (like you're sitting cross legged in the air), I practice on my stairs so I don't have the clearance to fully extend my legs at home, but I am able to hang - arms fully extended.

Edit: I'm guessing they use the Sayers formula for vertical jump (Watts) it calculates the Peak Anaerobic Power output, the numbers I'm getting are in the ballpark this way.

I am not sure what device they use to measure grip. I wouldn't worry about it thought. Focus on the beep test, pull ups and push ups. The rest will fall into to place.

Stahl
Rookie Member

Postby Stahl » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello everyone!
I'll admit off the bat that I have not read the entire forum yet, but plan on working away at it as what I have read is invaluable, so thanks to everyone who puts their time in here. I'm sure I speak for many people when I say that us wannabes appreciate it! I plan on applying this summer, and being an out-of-province applicant I'm sure that I'll know either way by the time school starts back up.
-Stahl

RCMP Troop 5
Applied May 17

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:54 pm

I figure I'll post up some progress so everyone has something to read. Just wrote the ACT and APCAT at the EPS distance learning facility earlier today (Saturday). The Police Prep website really helped, I found it a great investment, although the exams were no slouch; great excersize in stress management and deadlines. They were a fair bit different to the practice exams but familiar.

Okay to the real news already - I PASSED!

Talk about a rush, now I know what bill gates feels like everyday (a million bucks). I'm very excited and motivated to get the process rolling, only problem is my knee right now. Hopefully I won't have to push the A-PREP back too far; I was almost ready to take it now but it's how things go I suppose.
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:58 am

Could someone post the upcoming class schedules and sizes?
(Say over the next 12 months)

Thank you.
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:07 am

Iceking007 wrote:Could someone post the upcoming class schedules and sizes?
(Say over the next 12 months)

Thank you.

Hired Goon wrote:
prostagma wrote:Any rough estimate as to when RTC 138 and 139 are scheduled to be? Thanks in advance!

September/October-ish for 138 and early December for 139.

Basically every 3-4 months is a new class starting. Class sizes are always up and down 25-40 recruits depending on how many get hired and other variables.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Hiring will be strong until the end of 2016. There are 2 classes of around 35 left for this year. In 2017, hiring will drop to 2 classes of 35 per year.
Hired Goon

PolarisLTZ
Rookie Member

Postby PolarisLTZ » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Hired Goon wrote:Hiring will be strong until the end of 2016. There are 2 classes of around 35 left for this year. In 2017, hiring will drop to 2 classes of 35 per year.

Thats good to hear. I fly in mid July for my testing.