Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby MasterPlanMan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Foxtrot1 wrote:I'm wondering how EPS communicates with applicants, I submitted my package 2 weeks ago as an OOP applicant and was wondering if I should be looking out for an email or perhaps a letter in the mail regarding the next step?

Thank you all.

M.

Hey Foxtrot,

All of my initial communication was through email to book my testing. Things may have slowed down due to the holidays.

Foxtrot1
Rookie Member

Postby Foxtrot1 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:32 pm

MasterPlanMan wrote:
Foxtrot1 wrote:I'm wondering how EPS communicates with applicants, I submitted my package 2 weeks ago as an OOP applicant and was wondering if I should be looking out for an email or perhaps a letter in the mail regarding the next step?

Thank you all.

M.

Hey Foxtrot,

All of my initial communication was through email to book my testing. Things may have slowed down due to the holidays.

Thank you, that's completely understandable. I was told to expect a slow-down by end of December due to the holidays so I shall wait it out!

Thanks a lot!
NCR APP

Zalitz1
Rookie Member

Postby Zalitz1 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Hey they are still working I'm sure you will hear back soon.

My experience so far has been fantastic.

I applied 2.5 weeks ago and they emailed me back with dates for January. I asked if I could do a ride along and they were very quick at adding that in.

I'm getting responses back very fast. And they are letting me know when stuff comes in that I faxed.

They are really very efficient it seems.

Nesdolian

Postby Nesdolian » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Zalitz1 wrote:Hey they are still working I'm sure you will hear back soon.

My experience so far has been fantastic.

I applied 2.5 weeks ago and they emailed me back with dates for January. I asked if I could do a ride along and they were very quick at adding that in.

I'm getting responses back very fast. And they are letting me know when stuff comes in that I faxed.

They are really very efficient it seems.

Alternatively, applied in Sep, got the email in Oct for testing at the end of Feb.....

freshjive
Rookie Member

Postby freshjive » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:38 am

Well the class after the Febuary one will likely not be until the summer so there is not exactly a rush to fill it. Use the time to your advantage by studying up and working on your fitness.

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:23 pm

2016 intakes will be Feb, June, Sep, Dec. Plus one Experienced officer class in the fall.
Hired Goon

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:28 am

Hired Goon wrote:2016 intakes will be Feb, June, Sep, Dec. Plus one Experienced officer class in the fall.

Budget cuts affecting any classes/hiring numbers?

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:35 am

allbrancereal wrote:Budget cuts affecting any classes/hiring numbers?

Not for 2016, maybe some slightly reduced hiring in 2017, but not by much. Always lots of attrition/retiring going on.
Hired Goon

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Of all the steps, and they are all challenging and difficult in their own way, the most difficult has now proven to be the wait once your file moves on to the selection committee. I'm honestly happy to have made it this far, no matter the outcome, as the experience alone has been worth it. I had never made it so far in any process with any service, so it has all been valuable. I've been trying to keep busy to keep my mind off it but I just can't shake it!

Best of luck to everyone in the process or awaiting the news! And Happy 2016!

Foxtrot1
Rookie Member

Postby Foxtrot1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:18 pm

MasterPlanMan wrote:Of all the steps, and they are all challenging and difficult in their own way, the most difficult has now proven to be the wait once your file moves on to the selection committee. I'm honestly happy to have made it this far, no matter the outcome, as the experience alone has been worth it. I had never made it so far in any process with any service, so it has all been valuable. I've been trying to keep busy to keep my mind off it but I just can't shake it!

Best of luck to everyone in the process or awaiting the news! And Happy 2016!

Best of luck to you! Happy new year.
NCR APP

Zalitz1
Rookie Member

Postby Zalitz1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Good luck. I go out in a little over two weeks. Excited and nervous.

denniboy
Rookie Member

Postby denniboy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi guys...

I've been reading this topic for a while and thinking a lot. I was planning to go to info session on Jan 26th, but it is already full so I'll have to register for one in February.
I believe I have what it takes to become part of EPS, but I'm not sure yet should I give it a try.

I apologize if I'm repeating questions, but I have a few. In case I apply to EPS and let's assume I pass selection. How does it work, can I choose department in which I would like to work or EPS decide?
It is not the money that attracts me but the lifestyle and some benefits, what are the hours of work? Do they work regular 8 hours with 2 days off or its different?

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:28 pm

denniboy wrote:Hi guys...

I've been reading this topic for a while and thinking a lot. I was planning to go to info session on Jan 26th, but it is already full so I'll have to register for one in February.
I believe I have what it takes to become part of EPS, but I'm not sure yet should I give it a try.

I apologize if I'm repeating questions, but I have a few. In case I apply to EPS and let's assume I pass selection. How does it work, can I choose department in which I would like to work or EPS decide?
It is not the money that attracts me but the lifestyle and some benefits, what are the hours of work? Do they work regular 8 hours with 2 days off or its different?

Typically everybody starts in patrol, it's a very rare case you don't. You get to choose the divisions you prefer to work in, but at end day operational needs come first. As you will be going into patrol you will be working 4 days on and 4 days off. Expect to be in patrol 3 years minimum before you change things up.

Different units have different schedules.

denniboy
Rookie Member

Postby denniboy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 am

Thank you for quick reply.

What kind of patrol? I've seen police officers walking on Whyte Ave week nights, then I've seen some of them on the bikes and I've seen some of them patrolling in the car around. Is that all one patrol or there are some differences among them?

I'm asking this because I'm an athletic guy and I really love running and cycling. Patrol on bike in summer time seems really tempting and wouldn't mind to choose that if there is possibility. So I guess after 3 years

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:08 am

denniboy wrote:Thank you for quick reply.

What kind of patrol? I've seen police officers walking on Whyte Ave week nights, then I've seen some of them on the bikes and I've seen some of them patrolling in the car around. Is that all one patrol or there are some differences among them?

I'm asking this because I'm an athletic guy and I really love running and cycling. Patrol on bike in summer time seems really tempting and wouldn't mind to choose that if there is possibility. So I guess after 3 years

Patrol refers to being on the front line responding to calls for service. You will be in a Police vehicle. The bike and foot patrols are Beat officers. After 3 years in patrol you could apply for a Beat position. I have worked a Beat for last three years, riding a mountain bike is great, not going to lie. :)