Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
sumo12
Rookie Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby sumo12 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:03 pm

I should have mentioned this before but I am a regular member in the RCMP. Not looking to jump ship but one of my family members is interested in joining the dark side and applying to Edmonton! :twisted: I told him I would find some information for him.

I have told him that the members I know in EPS really love it and I do think he would be a good fit for the service in Edmonton.
RCMP Regular member "K" Division

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Sounds good, send them over, we need great people!

lionel_ca
Rookie Member

Postby lionel_ca » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:02 pm

I've been in the process since Feb 2014.
I was notified not to long ago that my backgrounds are all done. Took almost 3 months.
My package has now been given to selections so now I sit and wait.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
EPS Application - Submitted
ACT/APCAT - Passed
APREP - Passed
Psych test - Completed
BDI - Passed
PDI - Passed
Polygraph - Completed
Psych - Completed
Backgrounds - Completed
Aprep Renewal - Passed
Selections - Pending

arcticcat
Rookie Member

Postby arcticcat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:25 pm

I've also handed everything in, and I'm just waiting to know if my file will be sent to review. My A-prep is still valid for the time being, but I'm renewing it on the 15th, as my current one expires on the 24th. I imagine my file will be reviewed after that.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Good luck guys!

This is only a suggestion but make sure your in shape for class. Make sure you can run fast and for a distance. Also look into what a burpee is and be intimate with it! Maybe work on your core strength. If your in great shape it will make the academic portion a bit easier!

Lowdown10
Rookie Member

Postby Lowdown10 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Would anyone be able to private message me what the typical take home pay is after taxes and other deductions for a first year constable?

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Look on the EPS recruiting website.

Lowdown10
Rookie Member

Postby Lowdown10 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:27 pm

I had visited the website, which I think only states the gross income of a constable, not net take home pay. I had already calculated out the take home after provincial and federal taxes, but I am sure there are more deductions than that. The reason I am asking is I am trying to figure out if I can maintain proper budget, support my family and not go in to debt if I pursue a career in law enforcement. Unless the dedications are listed on the website, I may have just missed them or looked in the incorrect spot?

Based on the rates listed on EPS's website, gross salary for a first year constable is $61,134. From what I calculated, net take home pay after federal and provincial taxes would be in the neighborhood of $1,750.00 bi-weekly (26 payments). I am not aware what other deductions EPS has, but I would assume there are possibly pension premiums, union dues, medical etc? This would bring the bi-weekly take home down further.

Thank you, help is appreciated.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Unfortunately I can't recall what I brought home, but based on what you have there, your pretty close. The hardest part is during recruit training. After that your salary increases frequently. If your not sure, start putting money away to be able to support yourself for the tight times.

arcticcat
Rookie Member

Postby arcticcat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:30 am

Zalitz1
Rookie Member

Postby Zalitz1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:55 am

@lowdown your looking at the 1400 to 1500 range biweekly. It's closer to the 1400 mark for me in MB but I know I get screwed with heavier taxes here than AB does.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:20 am

arcticcat wrote:http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Police+union+slams+Edmonton+city+budget/10464936/story.html

Do you figure this changes anything much for future recruit classes?

No

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Loadie wrote:
arcticcat wrote:http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Police+union+slams+Edmonton+city+budget/10464936/story.html

Do you figure this changes anything much for future recruit classes?

No

Loadie's right. Means that EPS was granted 87 new officers of the 136 it asked for. This is in addition to the normal numbers which replace retirements, resignations, etc. Hiring is still going to be fast and furious for the next few (or several years).
Hired Goon

GMO
Rookie Member

Postby GMO » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Hello All,

I am so happy to finally say this; Got the official call!! RTC 133 in Feb. Anyone else so far?

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:32 pm

There a couple from the site called so far. I won't say who and leave that up to them.