Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Hired Goon
Sage Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Hired Goon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Also has to do with timing. If a suitable applicant comes along and there are vacancies for a class just around the corner, the process will be accelerated.
Hired Goon

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 am

jue0006 wrote:
MasterPlanMan wrote:EPS recruiting is eying Ottawa as a possibility if there is enough interest. Register at JoinEPS. Thought I'd do a little advertising because I'm registered and I really want it to happen!

Best of luck to all of you in the process :boxer: .

Well, I'm registered too ! :)

Competition... :twitch:

See you there, good luck!

lionel_ca
Rookie Member

Postby lionel_ca » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:06 am

Hey guys,

I've been a Peace Officer for about 4.5 years I've submitted my application and got a quick email in regards to some clarification on #35 of the PDF. It was in regards to being disciplined for inappropriate behaviour at work. It wasn't so much inappropriate but was an issue with FOIP that came up in regards to tracking a person down to issue a few violation tickets.

I gave the whole story as to a complaint I received and the outcome of what happened. I also stated what I learned from the whole incident. I was wondering if there's anyway that could hurt my chances in my application?

Also, apparently the optometrist I went to somehow forgot to fill in one of the night vision tests. 2 of 3 were filled out. I'm hoping to have that rectified as soon as possible. Has that happened to anyone else? I'm not sure how it could have been missed. I've called the the place I got my testing done to get it sorted out.
EPS Application - Submitted
ACT/APCAT - Passed
APREP - Passed
Psych test - Completed
BDI - Passed
PDI - Passed
Polygraph - Completed
Psych - Completed
Backgrounds - Completed
Aprep Renewal - Passed
Selections - Pending

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:57 am

lionel_ca wrote:Hey guys,

I've been a Peace Officer for about 4.5 years I've submitted my application and got a quick email in regards to some clarification on #35 of the PDF. It was in regards to being disciplined for inappropriate behaviour at work. It wasn't so much inappropriate but was an issue with FOIP that came up in regards to tracking a person down to issue a few violation tickets.

I gave the whole story as to a complaint I received and the outcome of what happened. I also stated what I learned from the whole incident. I was wondering if there's anyway that could hurt my chances in my application?

Also, apparently the optometrist I went to somehow forgot to fill in one of the night vision tests. 2 of 3 were filled out. I'm hoping to have that rectified as soon as possible. Has that happened to anyone else? I'm not sure how it could have been missed. I've called the the place I got my testing done to get it sorted out.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just respond to the email and wait for your file manager to talk to you in person. I don't think an open forum is an appropriate place to seek such advice. There is no need to open your personal information to strangers or justify your decisions to us. If the inappropriate behaviour is as minor as your suggesting, I don't expect it would cause much of a problem. Please keep in mind that you need to be honest with your file manager about things. Your current or former employer will be contacted. No point in sugar coating, if the truth will sewer you later.

That said just relax and have fun during the process. It was 5 years ago this month I made the decision to apply. I worried about so many things, sometimes it kept me up at night. In the end I got hired anyway. But I could of saved myself a lot of grief if I just relaxed. The decision ultimately lies in other peoples hands, your judged on past actions, not present or future. Put your best foot forward and what happens, happens.

lionel_ca
Rookie Member

Postby lionel_ca » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Jframer7 wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much. Just respond to the email and wait for your file manager to talk to you in person. I don't think an open forum is an appropriate place to seek such advice. There is no need to open your personal information to strangers or justify your decisions to us. If the inappropriate behaviour is as minor as your suggesting, I don't expect it would cause much of a problem. Please keep in mind that you need to be honest with your file manager about things. Your current or former employer will be contacted. No point in sugar coating, if the truth will sewer you later.

That said just relax and have fun during the process. It was 5 years ago this month I made the decision to apply. I worried about so many things, sometimes it kept me up at night. In the end I got hired anyway. But I could of saved myself a lot of grief if I just relaxed. The decision ultimately lies in other peoples hands, your judged on past actions, not present or future. Put your best foot forward and what happens, happens.

Thanks man! Ya I wasn't planning on going into details on here as its not the right place and i know a lot more now than I did before. Ya that was really the only thing that was worrying me.
ACT/APCAT - Passed
APREP - Passed
Psych test - Completed
BDI - Passed
PDI - Passed
Polygraph - Completed
Psych - Completed
Backgrounds - Completed
Aprep Renewal - Passed
Selections - Pending

OfficerGrumpyCat
Rookie Member

Postby OfficerGrumpyCat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:06 pm

lionel_ca wrote:Also, apparently the optometrist I went to somehow forgot to fill in one of the night vision tests. 2 of 3 were filled out. I'm hoping to have that rectified as soon as possible. Has that happened to anyone else? I'm not sure how it could have been missed. I've called the the place I got my testing done to get it sorted out.

Do not worry too much about this, it sounds like an innocent mistake! You should have double checked your paperwork!

My experience with my E.P.S. appointment application involved: A day booked off of work, an optometrist's vacation and a last minute trip to St. Albert!

lionel_ca
Rookie Member

Postby lionel_ca » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 pm

OfficerGrumpyCat wrote:
Do not worry too much about this, it sounds like an innocent mistake! You should have double checked your paperwork!

My experience with my E.P.S. appointment application involved: A day booked off of work, an optometrist's vacation and a last minute trip to St. Albert!

I actually found out you only need to pass 2 out of the 3 night vision tests, Says so on the sheet, so I'm good! :)
ACT/APCAT - Passed
APREP - Passed
Psych test - Completed
BDI - Passed
PDI - Passed
Polygraph - Completed
Psych - Completed
Backgrounds - Completed
Aprep Renewal - Passed
Selections - Pending

streetsweepr
Rookie Member

Postby streetsweepr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Looks like there will be an Ottawa trip in March 21-23

sempai
Rookie Member

Postby sempai » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:13 am

Hi everyone! Newbie here :roll:

Just wondering if it is normal that I have not heard from my file manager for 4 weeks. I have completed my bdi and was successful :D and then completed pdi just before Christmas. I am still waiting to hear back since jan 3rd when I clarified some of the questions from the pdi with my file manager. Should I be worried?...should I contact my file manager or just sit tight a bit longer? 88) I know these things can take time and there are a lot of applicants.but should I be worried if I haven't heard anything in 4 weeks? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!
Application Completed November 2013
Wct/Apcat Successful November 25, 2013
Aprep Successful December 2, 2013
BDI Successful December 10, 2013
PDI Completed December 20, 2013

Steelie_king
Rookie Member

Postby Steelie_king » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:38 am

Breathe..... wait it out. You are not forgotten.

sempai
Rookie Member

Postby sempai » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 am

Thanx Steelie King I guess I will wait it out. Just worried because I'm hoping for the March class and February is around the corner. :roll:
Application Completed November 2013
Wct/Apcat Successful November 25, 2013
Aprep Successful December 2, 2013
BDI Successful December 10, 2013
PDI Completed December 20, 2013

AB MCI
Rookie Member

Postby AB MCI » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Anyone else get the thumbs up for RTC 130?

lionel_ca
Rookie Member

Postby lionel_ca » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 am

I ran the Aprep yesterday. Was really disappointed in myself. I did awesome on the PRC but choked on the beep test. I've been training for 4 months now doing lots of interval training and I've dropped about 25 lbs but I have to try harder. That air in the gym at Griesbach is killer. I know they have the run with recruiters but I was hearing that if you show up for one session you are expected to show up to all the rest, but I'm not sure how true that is. Having a family, especially a 4 month old,and working shift work already puts me in a hard place with that.
ACT/APCAT - Passed
APREP - Passed
Psych test - Completed
BDI - Passed
PDI - Passed
Polygraph - Completed
Psych - Completed
Backgrounds - Completed
Aprep Renewal - Passed
Selections - Pending

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:15 pm

lionel_ca wrote:I ran the Aprep yesterday. Was really disappointed in myself. I did awesome on the PRC but choked on the beep test. I've been training for 4 months now doing lots of interval training and I've dropped about 25 lbs but I have to try harder. That air in the gym at Griesbach is killer. I know they have the run with recruiters but I was hearing that if you show up for one session you are expected to show up to all the rest, but I'm not sure how true that is. Having a family, especially a 4 month old,and working shift work already puts me in a hard place with that.

Thats crap! Show up to what you can show up to! We all have lives and families, and oh yeah, responsibilities! I would be very surprised if someone in recruiting expected you to show to all of them. Don't sweat it, show to what you can.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Here's a good tip -- practice running to a level or two past the required... and then wait a few minutes and run it again.
That way, you'll pass no matter what. I usually run to level 9 (2 above), wait 90 seconds, and run to level 9 again.
On my test day with EPS, I was tired from plane ride. I passed the physical and shuttle, then showered and ate quickly, and headed out to the run with recruiters.
I was impressed by how much stamina the recruiter had when sprinting across the 200m bridge over the North Sask after almost 90 minutes of stairs/jogging/burpees/crossfit style workout.
Let me tell you this, the run with recruiters is intense and really got me into Crossfit training.

lionel_ca wrote:I ran the Aprep yesterday. Was really disappointed in myself. I did awesome on the PRC but choked on the beep test. I've been training for 4 months now doing lots of interval training and I've dropped about 25 lbs but I have to try harder. That air in the gym at Griesbach is killer. I know they have the run with recruiters but I was hearing that if you show up for one session you are expected to show up to all the rest, but I'm not sure how true that is. Having a family, especially a 4 month old,and working shift work already puts me in a hard place with that.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.