Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Jframer7 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:14 am

***********Warning this is just my personal opinion************************

I would have to say EPS is having a problem getting the kind of recruits they want here in Canada. Really there is no other plausible reason for it.

If there was hundreds of qualified applicants each year to meet the requirements they would not do out of country recruiting. Its a hassle for the service and its also very expensive.

When I talk about qualified candidates I mean that EPS deems qualified. As any Blue Liner knows there are many applicants who think they are qualified in their own mind but in reality fall short to the respective services they apply to.

EPS needs people badly but the fact is they are not willing to settle for people they feel does not meet the standard. If it means UK recruiting so be it. They also did some US recruiting in december as well.

Its a great time to be hired on to EPS if your a qualified candidate. No more filling spots with X amount of minorites, X amount of women X amount of whoever. Now its simply if your a great applicant who meets the benchmark your hired, doesn't matter your age,sex,race or gender. I don't see anything wrong with that.

wingsuitcop

Postby wingsuitcop » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:35 am

EPS have some very bad recruiters..they defferred me for life because i was behind in a student loan payment two months right out of college...applied to the mounties and got in with a breeze

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:38 am

wingsuitcop wrote:EPS have some very bad recruiters..they defferred me for life because i was behind in a student loan payment two months right out of college...applied to the mounties and got in with a breeze

EPS standards are the highest!

All services are recruiting right now. EPS will not drop their standards at all! Sorry about your deferral though!

wingsuitcop

Postby wingsuitcop » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:45 pm

I am not dissing the whole service. However, the recruiter myself and at least 5 other people had some legitimate concerns about. They have definetly missed out on some very good hires who like myself went on to join other police services.

Cambo
Veteran Member

Postby Cambo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Why would recruiting in your own country mean you would have to drop your standards? We live in one of the most prosporous and educated countries in the world. With the MASSIVE amount of police applicants in Canada right now(especially since the recession), they can't find suitable people...really?. I don't know, like I said it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe the new EPS slogan should be " EPS, a service for the people, by OTHER people."
A people that values it's privileges above it's principles soon loses both
- Dwight Eisenhower

"Were you born stupid or did you pick that up along the way?"

Rob
Grand Poobah

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Cambo wrote:Why would recruiting in your own country mean you would have to drop your standards? We live in one of the most prosporous and educated countries in the world. With the MASSIVE amount of police applicants in Canada right now(especially since the recession), they can't find suitable people...really?. I don't know, like I said it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe the new EPS slogan should be " EPS, a service for the people, by OTHER people."

The majority of people that were recruited overseas, and from other parts of Canada for that matter, were recruited prior to the recession. The reason the EPS and others expanded their search for qualified recruits is that we were not getting them here. If there is a "massive" amount of applicants since the recession you need to ask where they were before the recession, well I suspect they were making the big bucks in the oil patch and now that that has dried up they are looking for job security. It's unfortunate that it leaves a bad taste in your mouth....though I really thing the EPS should go back to it's previous slogan "To be the Best".

I can also tell you that it's going to get a lot tougher in 2010 to get on, not jsut here but elsewhere, due to budget cutbacks and such. EPS will likely only hire 2 classes, each of 30-36, in 2010.
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi

Lonestar
Rookie Member

Postby Lonestar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Cambo wrote:Why would recruiting in your own country mean you would have to drop your standards? We live in one of the most prosporous and educated countries in the world. With the MASSIVE amount of police applicants in Canada right now(especially since the recession), they can't find suitable people...really?. I don't know, like I said it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe the new EPS slogan should be " EPS, a service for the people, by OTHER people."

Cambo,

I'm a police officer in London, England and have been for around five years - I applied to the EPS, passed all my testing and will be hopefully starting later this year. EPS has recruitment standards, they are excatly the same should you be Canadian or British so as long as you hit the requirments you have the chance to be offered a position - having a massive selection pool and high standards is a good thing.

You mention the recession, from a UK perspective whilst its unfortunate that people have lost their jobs those people already had a career, it wouldn't benfit a police service to start recruiting people who wernt really keen on the idea of policing but were just looking for job security and a decent pay packet.

You mentioned your slogan, "EPS, a service for the people, by OTHER people." - when I move to Canada from England I will be living in the communities I serve so I might not be born Canadian but I will be living their.

Cambo
Veteran Member

Postby Cambo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Valid point Lonestar. But like your example of rig workers taking the job just for job security, who is to say some out of country applicants are not taking the job for the wrong reasons either? ie. For Canadian citizenship. And what is wrong with an industrial worker wanting job security and a steady paycheck? I'm one, these are not the only reasons I am interested in it for. Like many I believe policing is a calling, and feel I am well suited to do it. I am eager to start my training and my new career. But job security and a steady paycheck are also big factors into my decision to pursue this career. As an industrial contractor this last year has been a little tough for me, so I can definately appreciate job security and a steady paycheck...
- Dwight Eisenhower

Lonestar
Rookie Member

Postby Lonestar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:22 pm

There is nothing wrong with someone wanting job security and a steady paycheck - my own personal opinion is that no mater the circumstances the standards should not be dropped, ultimatly that benifits no one. In the UK police service standards are constantly being dropped in regards to recruiting to make it easier for people to join and I can tell you were are getting some people who really shouldnt have got through selection - im all for high standards.

Of course I applied with an intention to get Candian Citzenship, otherwise what would be the point but in regards to myself and other people I know who have applied from the UK, we are cops, that is all we know to be. I wish you well with your training, you are soon to find out this is the best job in the world!

inlimbo
Rookie Member

Postby inlimbo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 am

Bitter much?
It sounds as though you didn't make the cut and have a massive hate on for the service.......
REEEEEELAX. I know that you have only applied to the one and only service that doesn't hire non-Canadians. You just come accross that way, hence the reply from Loadie.
As far as the "MASSIVE amount of of Police applicants in Canada right now" , a huge number of applicants accross the board does not mean that there is a common pool from which services, accross Canada, pick from.
How many, from this MASSIVE # of applicants have, or even want to apply to EPS? The number of applicants for EPS pales in comparison to the total of applicants accross the country. Soooooooooo, of the applicants for positions within EPS, are there enough that meet their standards, to fill the positions that they have? Obviously not.
hmmmmmmmmmmm, what to do? Not fill the positions, or start branching out?
Let's put it another way......... you need work done on your car and no one in town can do the work, or has the parts. Do you leave the thing on the side of the road? orrrr, do you start branching out? If the only place that had the parts and could do the work was in Michigan, would you then NOT get it done, when someone in Canada might be able to do an "OK" job on it without the proper parts?
Maybe the poly keeps good applicants away, thinking that a deep seeded desire to f@#k goats, might bubble to the surface and be broadcast on you tube.
Maybe it's the cost of living?
Personally, I think that they have done an outstanding job at trying to recruit within Canada. How many services offer signing bonuses and moving allowances?
I would rather see applicants from other countries, that bring stellar quals, experience, and refs to the table, get hired, than an applicant from Glenwood, or Pleasantview that might only meet the minimum requirements of the PSA. (communities named are used as an example only, and not a slag against anybody living there)
I definetly think the Recruiting posters should say " Only the best need apply" not " If we can't get 120 applicants that meet our standards, we'll hire as many that do, and then............we'll look at those, within our geographical area, that come close".
Smurf shirted Constable Side-kick.

I think that ultimately [women] have to raise the white flag, and just accept us for the emotional retards that we are, don't you think? -Hank Moody

Cambo
Veteran Member

Postby Cambo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 pm

It's an interesting topic worthy of debate.I don't think I am coming off as bitter at all. I have no reason to and if I am I apologize. I have some valid points here and was simply wondering what the explanation is to these questions, I don't think i'm way off base here. I believe Rob is probably right in saying the majority of international applicants were hired before the recession when the labour pool was much tighter. I'm not from Alberta and haven't applied there nor do I plan on it, and not because I think the forces there are inferior in any way, I hold a very high respect for the forces there. I noticed Calgary has recently suspended international applications due to the overwhelming number of applicants and lower recruiting goals, and this follows the point I was trying to make.
- Dwight Eisenhower

Ryder
Rookie Member

Postby Ryder » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 pm

I just got an email from EPS that they will be calling me for dates to go down and complete the next step!!! Can't wait I really hope I can finish and all goes well for the April class. :D
-Leo

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Good luck and be fully prepared to ace it!

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Ok folks, Ive been asked for an update on the training to date.

These last few weeks have been very hectic to say the least. Everyone is now qualified on the Glock and they have been issued to us. We've written our second Crim Law exam, the PT is still very tough, the Provincial/Edmonton bylaw final was this week as well!

Tomorrow is OC day, yeah, NOT! We've all been tazered, that wasn't much fun either, I now know what it feels like and don't much like it! It's a great tool to have in the tool belt!

The next few weeks include Criminal Flight response training, radar, traffic control, our Crim Law final, oh yeah a few other exams as well. It seems as though we are writing exams 3 times a week! Either written of a practical exam! Slight exaggeration, but it sure seems that way. Your either studying for the next exam or trying to catch up on sleep

If you want to be a part of this organization, be prepared to continually educate yourself. I'm over 40 and continue to be fascinated with the level of instruction and professionalism here.

Only 38 days left till block 2.

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for the update Loadie, congrats to you and all for making it this far!