Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Jframer7 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Rob wrote:Just to update you all......two classes in 2010, each consisting of 30-36 members.

Those would be great classes to be in. Many previous classes were over 50 members which takes away from some of the individual instructional time and even away from extra practice. My class was just under 40 members and it was somewhat better for getting more practice on the range and driving etc because of the better ratio of instructors to members.

30 ish would make it that much better even. Seriously make the effort to join, it will be well worth it to get into one of those classes. You will be better prepared to hit the streets then ever before.

Yeah sometimes it can suck in the winter but I came from construction working outside everyday all winter and being a cop in the winter is about 1000% better then building houses in it in my opinion so far in my opinion.

Though we were at a dog tracking call the other day the morning of that record low. The dog was done after 15 or so mins. The handler and my partner stayed out in that extreme cold for almost a hour and a half following footprints in the snow. I can't imagine how cold he was. It was still at least -33 or colder and there was ice fog and limited visibility. He came back and his Balaclava looked like a block of ICE. It was sure nice of him to run with the dog while I got to stay in the car with my fresh starbucks I grabbed just as the call came in.

And yes jokers were still stealing cars. In fact this was a vehicle thief who had to ditch the vehicle we were trying to nab in this case. If it wasn't for the bad weather hampering the dogs efforts at the start of the track we might of got him.

Oh well +2 by the weekend!

mikhar
Rookie Member

Postby mikhar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:05 pm

Just wondering what is going on with the process for out of province applicants?

Jframer7 wrote:
Rob wrote:Just to update you all......two classes in 2010, each consisting of 30-36 members.

Those would be great classes to be in. Many previous classes were over 50 members which takes away from some of the individual instructional time and even away from extra practice. My class was just under 40 members and it was somewhat better for getting more practice on the range and driving etc because of the better ratio of instructors to members.

30 ish would make it that much better even. Seriously make the effort to join, it will be well worth it to get into one of those classes. You will be better prepared to hit the streets then ever before.

Yeah sometimes it can suck in the winter but I came from construction working outside everyday all winter and being a cop in the winter is about 1000% better then building houses in it in my opinion so far in my opinion.

Though we were at a dog tracking call the other day the morning of that record low. The dog was done after 15 or so mins. The handler and my partner stayed out in that extreme cold for almost a hour and a half following footprints in the snow. I can't imagine how cold he was. It was still at least -33 or colder and there was ice fog and limited visibility. He came back and his Balaclava looked like a block of ICE. It was sure nice of him to run with the dog while I got to stay in the car with my fresh starbucks I grabbed just as the call came in.

And yes jokers were still stealing cars. In fact this was a vehicle thief who had to ditch the vehicle we were trying to nab in this case. If it wasn't for the bad weather hampering the dogs efforts at the start of the track we might of got him.

Oh well +2 by the weekend!
"Goals are dreams with deadlines."
- Diana Scharf Hunt

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Loadie wrote:Completed ODCCC today, it was great.
Dan Furman came in and spoke to us!
What is ODCCC Loadie?

And I had thought that Cst. Furman had only been shot once in the hand...then I read this. http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine ... e_id=22009
Assaulted Constable Protected from Further Harm by Body Armor

Constable Daniel M. Furman of the Edmonton, Alberta, Police Service and his partner were on patrol duty when they were assigned to respond to a report of an assault. Their investigation led them to a low-rent boarding house. Constable Furman reported that “people were everywhere.”

The constables searched for the assault suspect, locating him hiding in a furnace room. As the constables entered the room, the suspect drew a firearm and, from a distance of three feet, shot Constable Furman in the chest. This bullet struck and was stopped by Furman’s protective body armor and trauma plate but broke his sternum. The shooter stood over Constable Furman and shot two more times, execution-style. One bullet went through Furman’s left hand, breaking it. The next round went through the right shoulder strap of Furman’s body armor and entered his torso, breaking two ribs, puncturing his right lung, severing the right subclavian artery, and exiting through his back.

Constable Furman was transported for emergency medical care. He lost a massive amount of blood and was hospitalized for 10 days. The 26-year-old male shooter had a violent criminal history and appeared to be under the influence of drugs at the time of the incident. During the incident, the shooter was killed, which was later determined to be justifiable.

Wow. Is he able to continue work as a police officer?

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:47 pm

metallicat wrote:
Loadie wrote:Completed ODCCC today, it was great.
Dan Furman came in and spoke to us!
What is ODCCC Loadie?

And I had thought that Cst. Furman had only been shot once in the hand...then I read this. http://policechiefmagazine.org/magazine ... e_id=22009
Assaulted Constable Protected from Further Harm by Body Armor

Constable Daniel M. Furman of the Edmonton, Alberta, Police Service and his partner were on patrol duty when they were assigned to respond to a report of an assault. Their investigation led them to a low-rent boarding house. Constable Furman reported that “people were everywhere.”

The constables searched for the assault suspect, locating him hiding in a furnace room. As the constables entered the room, the suspect drew a firearm and, from a distance of three feet, shot Constable Furman in the chest. This bullet struck and was stopped by Furman’s protective body armor and trauma plate but broke his sternum. The shooter stood over Constable Furman and shot two more times, execution-style. One bullet went through Furman’s left hand, breaking it. The next round went through the right shoulder strap of Furman’s body armor and entered his torso, breaking two ribs, puncturing his right lung, severing the right subclavian artery, and exiting through his back.

Constable Furman was transported for emergency medical care. He lost a massive amount of blood and was hospitalized for 10 days. The 26-year-old male shooter had a violent criminal history and appeared to be under the influence of drugs at the time of the incident. During the incident, the shooter was killed, which was later determined to be justifiable.

Wow. Is he able to continue work as a police officer?

Yeah he is still on the Job.
Its an amazing story and when you hear it come right from him its an amazing emotional and powerful story.
I know most the class was shedding tears at points along the way and at the end we all jumped to our feet and gave him a standing ovation that lasted forever. That was one lecture I will never in my life forget.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:57 pm

I second what JFramer said!

What an honor it was to meet him and shake his hand!

Dan was shot in the chest and right shoulder as well!

ODCCC stands for Officer Down Casualty care course. EPS is the only service in North America right now that provides this training!

lava24
Rookie Member

Postby lava24 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Jframer7 wrote:
lava24 wrote:hi ~ i am wondering in EPS do you patrol alone or with a partner? thanks

A bit of both but often you will have a partner with you. During daytime there is more single member cars.
Usually if your by yourself and the call could be trouble you request another car to assist.

And the rest of the Calvary is a radio call away if things go sideways. Nice thing about larger Muni-policing

thanks Jframer7. am gonna put in the application once i get it all filled up....

smithers
Rookie Member

Postby smithers » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:49 am

Loadie wrote:
Islander wrote:Loadie, you're making me very jealous. I can't believe I got deferred until 119... I could be there with you guys right now.... ARGH!!!!!

Trust me, your much better off now. Your not physically hurting! You would have only made it another week or so and possibly been out for a longer period of time!!!!

Oh....I'm sure he's hurting now. He's into week 1. I was there to observe some of the tests.....

So I just recieved the word yesterday. There will be a class of 36 in March. The start date looks to be March 1st.
The cut off for applications will be somewhere around January 15th. Out of town applications will still be processed in the same way. Hope that answers some questions. The next class will likely be in september, and probably be 38 people.
We train Camrose Police, so two of the March class are theirs.

If you have an urgent question, please PM me. I don't log on here very often, but I will get a PM right away.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 pm

I watched as I walked by and laughed to myself! Oh how I remember being there not so long ago now! We start week 14 on Monday and 7 left to go!

Absolutely the best instructors anyone could ask for. What a great service I work for. 1000% supportive of their staff!!!

Listen folks if you are interested in policing. Edmonton is bar none the best service I have had the pleasure of working for, or with!

I was OPP Auxiliary before, they were good, but nothing like EPS!!! All the toys and training to go with the toys! Very diverse service to say the least!!!

mugen
Rookie Member

Postby mugen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi, for the eps is there a cut off date to apply for each class? or do you just apply anytime? if that's the case approx how long until you hear back after you submit an application? i'm from out of province and i hear great things about eps and their process for out of town applicants such as everything is done within a week.....im looking into applying for either eps or the cps or perhaps both....any other strong points on the eps anyone would like to share? by the way i'm from winnipeg and i found the wps to be pretty long process and the investigators to be not that helpful on things one can/should approve on.

smithers
Rookie Member

Postby smithers » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:07 pm

The cut off for the march class will be mid january.
I know that sometimes it can be hard to figure out, but when speaking about areas of improvement, the first thing I would say is that the minimum standard should not be the goal. An applicant should be trying to exceed that standard. That is for every aspect of the process, such as the following....
Exam Score
Fitness testing
Post Secondary Education
Employment Experience
Leadership experience
Additional or specialized training
Police or related experience
Community Service
Diversity Experience
Professionalism
Honesty
Integrity
Passion for Policing
Communication Skills

Aim to excel in these areas......

Islander
Rookie Member

Postby Islander » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:47 pm

smithers wrote:
Loadie wrote:
Islander wrote:Loadie, you're making me very jealous. I can't believe I got deferred until 119... I could be there with you guys right now.... ARGH!!!!!

Trust me, your much better off now. Your not physically hurting! You would have only made it another week or so and possibly been out for a longer period of time!!!!

Oh....I'm sure he's hurting now. He's into week 1. I was there to observe some of the tests.....

So I just recieved the word yesterday. There will be a class of 36 in March. The start date looks to be March 1st.
The cut off for applications will be somewhere around January 15th. Out of town applications will still be processed in the same way. Hope that answers some questions. The next class will likely be in september, and probably be 38 people.
We train Camrose Police, so two of the March class are theirs.

If you have an urgent question, please PM me. I don't log on here very often, but I will get a PM right away.

Hahaha, I am hurting and had a stomach bug... lost my lunch in the parking lot on Friday but the first class of officer safety was rather interesting to say the least :)

Haha, I seen you up top watching us, Smithers... grin, notebook and all.

johnny5
Rookie Member

Postby johnny5 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:21 pm

I have researched EPS, top notice Police Service and fast processing time.

:D

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Especially is you're from out of town. They will do their best to set up all your appointments so you can only take one trip to Edmonton.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

gsohunter
Rookie Member

Postby gsohunter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:02 pm

Yep I am hoping to travel all the way from Merry old England. So I would have to rely on a single ( successful) trip since it is really expensive to travel from here.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:40 pm

gsohunter wrote:Yep I am hoping to travel all the way from Merry old England. So I would have to rely on a single ( successful) trip since it is really expensive to travel from here.

there are 12 from the UK on the course that just started!