Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
albertagirl
Rookie Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby albertagirl » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi there! I am in need of some expertise! I have recently applied for both RCMP and EPS and I am moving along in the RCMP selection. However, the other day I got a call from EPS to come and write the test. If I pass, How do you decide?? there are so many pro's to both. I have lived in Edmonton before and I am familiar with the city.
any suggestions? also, if RCMP was my first choice, how long until my file is closed with EPS? Does it ever happen where someone is left to make a choice? thanks so much!

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:58 pm

albertagirl wrote:Hi there! I am in need of some expertise! I have recently applied for both RCMP and EPS and I am moving along in the RCMP selection. However, the other day I got a call from EPS to come and write the test. If I pass, How do you decide?? there are so many pro's to both. I have lived in Edmonton before and I am familiar with the city.
any suggestions? also, if RCMP was my first choice, how long until my file is closed with EPS? Does it ever happen where someone is left to make a choice? thanks so much!

Go with whoever hires you first! I was in the process with three different agencies before I got hired with the RCMP. I would have gone with whoever hired me first simply that they are giving you the opportunity you shouldn't turn them down. If for some reason you are miserable with the service you are in you can always try and work somewhere else.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

albertagirl
Rookie Member

Postby albertagirl » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm

PHB wrote:
albertagirl wrote:Hi there! I am in need of some expertise! I have recently applied for both RCMP and EPS and I am moving along in the RCMP selection. However, the other day I got a call from EPS to come and write the test. If I pass, How do you decide?? there are so many pro's to both. I have lived in Edmonton before and I am familiar with the city.

Go with whoever hires you first! I was in the process with three different agencies before I got hired with the RCMP. I would have gone with whoever hired me first simply that they are giving you the opportunity you shouldn't turn them down. If for some reason you are miserable with the service you are in you can always try and work somewhere else.

Thanks! I will definatley heed your advice! This is so intense simultaniously going through two processes. Its a good stress. :?

mikhar
Rookie Member

Postby mikhar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:05 pm

smithers wrote:
Shawshank wrote:That s he cheery response I was hoping for. Hopefully I will have my aplication ready to go I. January.

A quick question to smithers if he is still around, if I apply in January I assume I will be waiting til April for such things as the interviews etc. I ask because I am going to the bc games to work between Jan 26 and march 26 and I have been told that I must remain in call and can not get that far away.

Oh, I'm still around......I've been waiting......waiting for something definitive. Basically everything Rob and the others have said is true.

Reduced numbers will simply mean an applicant will have to be that much more competitive. The application process will also be slower, as in no more running people through so rapidly. The process will be more like complete a stage, wait a while. I will post something once I know for sure.

Smithers, I’m also wondering how it will work for out of province applicants.
"Goals are dreams with deadlines."
- Diana Scharf Hunt

ssfoxhound
Rookie Member

Postby ssfoxhound » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 pm

metalicat wrote:I was deferred by the EPS today, just thought I would let you guys know.

I saw it coming, and the process was an enlightening one for myself. I know what I have to do to improve my chances in the future.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys who have been there for me since I've been a member here. A lot of you don't know what type of help you've been to me. This place is an incredible resource for those of us who are aspiring to one day become police officers. So thanks to all of you who share your experiences either on the job, or in the process, or whatever. It is much appreciated.

And a big good luck to all of you members here who are either currently in training with the EPS, in the process, or just getting out on to the streets. You guys are all going to be fantastic police officers in this city. I truly mean that. I continue to be proud of this police service because of you who are out there doing the jobs that you do. So thanks again.

Metalicat I feel your pain I received my deferal as well yesterday.

I failed on the BDI interview, this was by far the toughest interview for me.

As a bonus it was just a deferal so i have time to continue my workouts, get in better shape and now I know what to expect so I will be keepingtrack of examples for the next time. :D
EPS
Application: Submitted, passed initial review
ACT / APCAT: Passed
PARE: Passed (3:52)
PDI: Passed
BDI: October 7th, 2009
Poly:
Psych and Medical:
Background:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:58 pm

ssfoxhound wrote:
metalicat wrote:I was deferred by the EPS today, just thought I would let you guys know.

I saw it coming, and the process was an enlightening one for myself. I know what I have to do to improve my chances in the future.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys who have been there for me since I've been a member here. A lot of you don't know what type of help you've been to me. This place is an incredible resource for those of us who are aspiring to one day become police officers. So thanks to all of you who share your experiences either on the job, or in the process, or whatever. It is much appreciated.

And a big good luck to all of you members here who are either currently in training with the EPS, in the process, or just getting out on to the streets. You guys are all going to be fantastic police officers in this city. I truly mean that. I continue to be proud of this police service because of you who are out there doing the jobs that you do. So thanks again.

As a bonus it was just a deferal so i have time to continue my workouts, get in better shape and now I know what to expect so I will be keepingtrack of examples for the next time. :D

That is all you can do really. First time I went for the OPP, I though GETTING the interview would be the hard part and the rest I would walk through. I was slightly wrong on that one but I learned from it and tried again the next year. Failed the interview there too but have learned more. Now I am spending time reading various sites, trying to figure out possible questions and answers as well trying to get some scenarios to show I have the skills needed. Some I feel are weak scenarios but I rather say something that would give me part marks, or low marks rather than say nothing at all and get zero marks. (I have the whole interview worked out as an equation in my mind, it helps me prepare)
K division.

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:33 pm

foxhound, sorry to hear the news.

Check your PMs.

albertagirl
Rookie Member

Postby albertagirl » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:35 pm

Shawshank wrote:
ssfoxhound wrote:

Sorry guys :( what is the BDI interview? sorry, I am not familiar with all the terms yet .What are some reasons for deferal? I wrote APCAT and ACT and only made ACT . I was out by a few points :( which baffles me. I wrote RPAT and recieved a high passing score...and I found APCAT a little bit easier. i wish everyone the best of luck!

That is all you can do really. First time I went for the OPP, I though GETTING the interview would be the hard part and the rest I would walk through. I was slightly wrong on that one but I learned from it and tried again the next year. Failed the interview there too but have learned more. Now I am spending time reading various sites, trying to figure out possible questions and answers as well trying to get some scenarios to show I have the skills needed. Some I feel are weak scenarios but I rather say something that would give me part marks, or low marks rather than say nothing at all and get zero marks. (I have the whole interview worked out as an equation in my mind, it helps me prepare)

Islander
Rookie Member

Postby Islander » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:14 pm

RCMP Pros - Federal force, lots of opportunity to live in different parts of the country and enjoying a variety of tasks not available to municipal forces.
RCMP Cons - You can be moved about without much say. Some people like to settle and the RCMP's method of doing things may interfere with that.

EPS Pros - You know where you will be working. You can make longterm plans, live in beautiful places like St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove or Sturgeon County (to name a few). You get the 'small town feel' in Edmonton while still experiencing some of the 'crazy stuff'. Personally, I felt more like a person through the EPS process than I did with the mounties.

EPS Cons - For those wanting to serve across the country, it obviously won't happen. Budget isn't as large as the RCMP's either. Though despite that, the EPS do have some fancy toys.

Bottom line, don't pick just because one gives you the nod. You really need to decide for yourself what you want in life and which of those choices can best fulfill that. While I had applied to the RCMP, deep down I always wanted a municipal force.

As for files, the minute you're hired by one force, just kindly let the other force know that you're done and the file will be closed.

Islander
Rookie Member

Postby Islander » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Loadie wrote:Block 1 is 21 weeks
Block 2 is 23 weeks I think
Block 3 is 2 weeks.

Prior to block 1 there is an indoctrination week.

Block 1 is 22 weeks now :)

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Islander wrote:
Block 3 is 2 weeks.

That extra week is scenarios. Great stuff too.

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:30 am

Loadie wrote:
Islander wrote:
Block 3 is 2 weeks.

That extra week is scenarios. Great stuff too.

Ahh nice. You can't have enough scenerio training that is for certain.

I am still waiting for an event to play out exactly as the scenerios and thus far hasn't happend. But thats been a good thing!

Islander
Rookie Member

Postby Islander » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:43 am

I certainly miss you guys, Loadie... how's the course going?

mikhar
Rookie Member

Postby mikhar » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:40 am

For anyone wondering I heard that the city of Edmonton budget for 2010 for EPS was either done last night or will be done by today! :D
"Goals are dreams with deadlines."
- Diana Scharf Hunt

cdn.dave
Rookie Member

Postby cdn.dave » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:56 pm

mikhar wrote:For anyone wondering I heard that the city of Edmonton budget for 2010 for EPS was either done last night or will be done by today! :D

It was done last night I heard, hopefully there is some good news.
"I like long walks, especially when taken by people who annoy me."