Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Loadie
Grand Poobah

Re: Edmonton Police Service Recruiting

Postby Loadie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Jframer7 wrote:I was at HQ today doing a course and I popped into the GYM to try and see you PARE guys but it was about 9:30 and it was basically all done. I saw one or two guys in the gym and a woman at that time but didn't bother to come down as we only had 20 min break and I wanted to actually eat something. ;-)

Congrats on the PARE!

How goes the course so far?

I'll be there tomorrow!

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:12 pm

So that was the recruit class that was there today? I figured as much, but I thought you guys were starting on the 16th or something?

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 pm

metallicat wrote:So that was the recruit class that was there today? I figured as much, but I thought you guys were starting on the 16th or something?

Jframers course started in June or july I believe. Our course starts on Monday 14 Sept

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Loadie
Going good. Can't believe how fast its starting to go. The first 8-10 weeks are hard and it seemed like we were not making any progress and now things are flying by so fast.
Our class is broken in 3 groups right now but my group is at Griesbach tommorrow so maybe I will see you guys lined up on my way out the door.

Metallicat
yeah you may saw about 12 of us enter this morning but we are not the latest class we are part of 117 that started in June. We were just at HQ today to do a little computer course for the day. Another 1/3 of the class was at the track and another 1/3 back at the training center.

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:54 pm

Oh ok, right on. Glad to hear it's going well for you guys!

rambean
Rookie Member

Postby rambean » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:45 am

Hey guys,

I'm new to this board, and I have just submitted my application to EPS. Congrats to you guys who have been accepted, been a long process I'm sure! I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight as to what to expect from the interview?

thanks!

Jframer7
Seasoned Member

Postby Jframer7 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:18 am

rambean wrote:Hey guys,

I'm new to this board, and I have just submitted my application to EPS. Congrats to you guys who have been accepted, been a long process I'm sure! I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight as to what to expect from the interview?

thanks!

Just expect to be honest. It will be uncomfortable talking about things you regret but if you can lay it out there it will go a long way.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:07 pm

Just like Jframer says! Be honest and forthright!

I had a sullied past, I've done quite a bit that I'm not proud of at all, but it's made me the person I am today. You don't have to be perfect, but you have to be perfectly honest!

Integrity, Accountable, and Reliable just to mention a few!

The insight would be to be 1000% honest with your file manager and interviewers! If your not, well then you won't become a member of the best Police Service in North America!

Just my $.02 worth

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine! It was stressful for all of us!

rambean
Rookie Member

Postby rambean » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah honesty isn't a problem for me, that's not what worries me. More so than anything I'm just wondering if they will throw a few curveballs, and the dreaded panel interview! Don't know what kind of questions they will ask. Anyway, hopefully all goes well. I know some of you are just starting the process and are in the same position as me, best of luck

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:49 pm

rambean wrote:Thanks guys. Yeah honesty isn't a problem for me, that's not what worries me. More so than anything I'm just wondering if they will throw a few curveballs, and the dreaded panel interview! Don't know what kind of questions they will ask. Anyway, hopefully all goes well. I know some of you are just starting the process and are in the same position as me, best of luck

The panel questions are posted on the website! There are 6 competencies, you have to have answers for all of them!I would prepare 2 or 3 answers for all questions!

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:53 pm

How is the first week of recruit training going Loadie?

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:18 am

metallicat wrote:How is the first week of recruit training going Loadie?

Well were not in training yet, so I can't tell you!

Were in Orientation week, it's not to bad at all! I'll let you know at the end of next week, you might have to remind me though, might get a little busy!

Jframer7: He'll be able to tell you a little better than I right now. Mind you he's in week 14 I think so he may not remember this far back!

ssfoxhound
Rookie Member

Postby ssfoxhound » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:10 pm

So the BDI is my next hurdle to overcome, this will be make or break it for me.

6 competencies and I'm having a hell of a time coming up with 3 for each that fall under the 3 year criteria.

Any tips on getting past this mental block?

What were some of the questions you had for the competencies? I understand that the examples don't have to be great exciting stories they just have to show that you applied the competency and that you explaing the situation / task, actions taken and the resolution.

I should have lived a more exciting life. :D
EPS
Application: Submitted, passed initial review
ACT / APCAT: Passed
PARE: Passed (3:52)
PDI: Passed
BDI: October 7th, 2009
Poly:
Psych and Medical:
Background:

Angie_Baby!
Rookie Member

Postby Angie_Baby! » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Okay so I'd really like to apply to EPS but I do have a medical condition called IBS - I am wondering if there are any recruits that have the same condition. I don't want to waste my time applying if it's something that they will reject me for. Also, I know the education/work experience is just preffered but does a gal have a good chance of getting through without the added qualifications?

Angie_Baby!
Rookie Member

Postby Angie_Baby! » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm

Okay so I'd really like to apply to EPS but I do have a medical condition called IBS - I am wondering if there are any recruits that have the same condition. I don't want to waste my time applying if it's something that they will reject me for. Also, I know the education/work experience is just preffered but does a gal have a good chance of getting through without the added qualifications?Angie_Baby!
Rookie Member

Private messageE-mail Angie_Baby!