RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
catchinon

Re: GENERAL RCMP APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby catchinon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:10 pm

PB&J in the middle of an interview, I would be too fearful of having land on my shirt or tie. Then, I would be out a tie...gotta love silk. As an aside, Don't you have a right to see the notes when requested under the freedom of information. I guess that is what the review session is for.

WILLPOWER
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:18 pm

catchinon wrote:PB&J in the middle of an interview, I would be too fearful of having land on my shirt or tie. Then, I would be out a tie...gotta love silk. As an aside, Don't you have a right to see the notes when requested under the freedom of information. I guess that is what the review session is for.

Well there's a BIG difference between checking your notes when you request to see them under the freedom of information and reading the private recruiter file on his desk while is not looking.
RCMP North West region

sportyspice
Rookie Member

Postby sportyspice » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:24 pm

catchinon wrote:PB&J in the middle of an interview, I would be too fearful of having land on my shirt or tie. Then, I would be out a tie...gotta love silk. As an aside, Don't you have a right to see the notes when requested under the freedom of information. I guess that is what the review session is for.

The info they gave me in advance actually said to bring water and a snack - they know you'll be there for a while. (I wonder if hunger can impact the results??) I don't think they expect a person to pull out a book and start reading, though... Of course I put it away as soon as he came back in the room!

Asking to see the notes because "you have a right" under FOA is going to go over well... I'd DEFINITELY do that for sure! :roll:
"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

E Zimmer
Rookie Member

Questions on the recruitment changes of June 2008

Postby E Zimmer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a forum to learn more about the whole process and was really glad to stumble upon this one! It sounds like you're all doing great - and congratulations for making it to the stage your at! My husband and I have been talking to many city cops in the various places that we've lived and many of them didn't even get to see the light at the end of the RCMP application tunnel, so keep in mind what a fantastic candidate you are to have made it this far!!

My husband started his RCMP application when we were living in Fort McMurray in April and then zipped through most everything until we moved in June. Then his case handler lost his contact information, so we're just getting back into the groove of things now. He did the poly last week, which took forever but seemed to go smoothly and now has his laser eye surgery scheduled for September. I guess at this point now we just...wait and see.

Have you guys heard much since the recruitment changes in June? IE) $500/week pay while at Depot, posting location indication before training etc.? I'm doing marketing for a college in Saskatchewan and am trying to ramp up my courses and finish my education to make myself as versatile/marketable as possible for wherever we may get posted. I mean they can't need too many marketers in Nunavut can they? I'm wondering if any of you know generally where they need the most officers (we're really hoping not to go back to AB).

Also, do you know if there's a career placement program for spouses? What about housing when you first move to a posting?

Any light you could shed on the situation would be fantastic.

Thx,
E

PHB
King Poobah

Re: Questions on the recruitment changes of June 2008

Postby PHB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 pm

E Zimmer wrote:Hi guys,

I've been looking for a forum to learn more about the whole process and was really glad to stumble upon this one! It sounds like you're all doing great - and congratulations for making it to the stage your at! My husband and I have been talking to many city cops in the various places that we've lived and many of them didn't even get to see the light at the end of the RCMP application tunnel, so keep in mind what a fantastic candidate you are to have made it this far!!

My husband started his RCMP application when we were living in Fort McMurray in April and then zipped through most everything until we moved in June. Then his case handler lost his contact information, so we're just getting back into the groove of things now. He did the poly last week, which took forever but seemed to go smoothly and now has his laser eye surgery scheduled for September. I guess at this point now we just...wait and see.

Have you guys heard much since the recruitment changes in June? IE) $500/week pay while at Depot, posting location indication before training etc.? I'm doing marketing for a college in Saskatchewan and am trying to ramp up my courses and finish my education to make myself as versatile/marketable as possible for wherever we may get posted. I mean they can't need too many marketers in Nunavut can they? I'm wondering if any of you know generally where they need the most officers (we're really hoping not to go back to AB).

Also, do you know if there's a career placement program for spouses? What about housing when you first move to a posting?

Any light you could shed on the situation would be fantastic.

Thx,
E

Your questions would be better posted in the Ask a Recruiter section Argyll and Cst. Letang are good at answering questions. Why would you not want to go back to Alberta?
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

Waldo
Rookie Member

Re: Questions on the recruitment changes of June 2008

Postby Waldo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 pm

E Zimmer wrote:Hi guys,

$500/week pay while at Depot, posting location indication before training etc.?

I'm wondering if any of you know generally where they need the most officers (we're really hoping not to go back to AB).

What about housing when you first move to a posting?

E

What's with this "posting location indication before training?" I'd never heard about that, we get to know where we are posted before we start DEPOT?!

As for where officers go, like they say you are supposed to be ready to go anywhere in Canada. That being said, about 1/3 of the RCMP are in BC, and the five biggest detachments are in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver area), so the chances of going to BC probably aren't that bad.

For housing, I heard that you're pretty much on your own. They might have special exceptions for some detachments though. I was told from a friend who had a friend in Whister (I know, not the best source) that they offer housing to members in Whistler, just because it is so ridiculously expensive to live there.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:54 pm

sportyspice wrote: it was embarrassing just talking about all the stuff I HAD written down - behaviour from my errant youth that I thought was well-buried in the past... nothing criminal, just... embarrassing! :oops:

Keep in mind that you're human, and so are police officers. Many of us have done things we might not be proud of (but some would be) or just embarassing stuff. It does come with life experience.

I'm not going to go into some stuff I've heard that would be grounds for deferral but you get my drift. As long as it's not criminal stuff you're likely ok.

catchinon wrote: As an aside, Don't you have a right to see the notes when requested under the freedom of information. I guess that is what the review session is for.

You're not serious right?
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:32 pm

Jim Street wrote:
catchinon wrote: As an aside, Don't you have a right to see the notes when requested under the freedom of information. I guess that is what the review session is for.

Image Post reported.

Jim's attacking me again... err, I mean this is the first time... :twitch:

Yours truly,

catchinon
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:54 pm

Jim Street wrote:
sportyspice wrote: it was embarrassing just talking about all the stuff I HAD written down - behaviour from my errant youth that I thought was well-buried in the past... nothing criminal, just... embarrassing! :oops:

Keep in mind that you're human, and so are police officers. Many of us have done things we might not be proud of (but some would be) or just embarassing stuff. It does come with life experience.

I'm not going to go into some stuff I've heard that would be grounds for deferral but you get my drift. As long as it's not criminal stuff you're likely ok.

Your examiner will tell you in the polygraph exam what is grounds for auto deferral for life. I was told that the standard was three years crime free.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

catchinon

Postby catchinon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:
Jim Street wrote:

Image Post reported.
Yours truly,
catchinon

WTF?

P_Dubb
Seasoned Member

Postby P_Dubb » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 am

Just a question... anyone in final suitability or just got the call for depot that was in final suitability? I got word today that everything is cleared (including my security and medical clearance) and that im with the suitability unit, and then ill get a call for depot. just curious how long this step has taken for some!

thank you
“Today is just a good day in disguise.”

RedRain
Rookie Member

Postby RedRain » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Tall_Paul wrote:Just a question... anyone in final suitability or just got the call for depot that was in final suitability? I got word today that everything is cleared (including my security and medical clearance) and that im with the suitability unit, and then ill get a call for depot. just curious how long this step has taken for some!

thank you

I got that call today...just waiting on the final call now

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:56 pm

catchinon wrote:
Respond Wayne wrote:
Jim Street wrote:You're not serious right?

Image Post reported.
Yours truly,
catchinon

WTF?

:shock:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

That has to be one of coolio, I mean catchinon's best posts ever.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:58 pm

:mrgreen:

Okay, now back on toipc... enough about cool... err I mean catchinon.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Respond Wayne wrote::mrgreen:

Okay, now back on topic... enough about cool... err I mean catchinon.

On topic... Hmmmm. If I'm an applicant, can I pick my posting before I go to the Depot? Do I get my own room at the Depot? I heard our evenings and weekends are pretty free to do anything we want, is that true? Can I wear my red coat any time I want, like in an internet personal ad?
I heard there's this guy here that used to be a teacher at the Depot(and likes to put down applicants) but couldn't handle it, so he quit the rcmp. Can he really answer my questions about the Depot?

ok, I'm being an ass now. Sorry guys. And girls.