RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Tornelco

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Tornelco » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 am

VanSmack wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:05 pm
jeffhere wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:16 pm
Couple general interest questions here;
How are constables generally selected for very desirable locations such as national parks (Banff, Jasper etc)?

Do members ever make the jump from RCMP to another pursuit such as National Park Warden? I'd imagine some of the experience is transferrable.

Thanks.
What might be desirable for you isn't necessarily desirable for most. Sure, the view might be nice, but cost of living as well as the type of work you'd predominantly be doing in those spots would be major detractors for most, among other things.
Don't forget about the weekly rotation of drunk and unpleasant tourists.
Correctional Peace Officer

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:23 pm

VanSmack wrote:
jeffhere wrote:
How are constables generally selected for very desirable locations such as national parks (Banff, Jasper etc)?

Do members ever make the jump from RCMP to another pursuit such as National Park Warden? I'd imagine some of the experience is transferrable.

Thanks.
What might be desirable for you isn't necessarily desirable for most. Sure, the view might be nice, but cost of living as well as the type of work you'd predominantly be doing in those spots would be major detractors for most, among other things.

Plenty of cadets/applicants think they know what their dream posting would be, only to realize that their concept of the job and what things are like there are considerably different of/when they ever get there.
To answer your first question, note that my answer is applicable to ALL transfers in the RCMP. Think of a bunch of drunks playing darts; your name is on one of the darts. The darts are first thrown at a map of Canada, then they are removed per Province, after which those darts are further thrown at the board of that Province. Where it lands, lo and behold, is your posting. Repeat whenever Shafting and Impersonal feels the world move them.

Per your 2nd question: maybe someone that HAS can let you know, but if THAT is what you are looking for, why bother with us first? Per #3 - I suppose.

After I was told, as a born / raised / semi-educated St Catharines ON kid not quite 20, that NOTHING was open E of the MB / ON, and that MOST of the 31 of us (long story) would PROBABLY go to "E" Div, but we COULD tell them our 3 choices, I picked "D", "F", & "E", so, naturally, I got Riderville. Shortly thereafter, without any input from us, we got our postings; when told mine, I wondered, "Where is Waskesiu Lake?!" Spent my first 5 months there as Surplus-To-Establishment, as the 3rd Cst, with only a Cpl i/c. NO overtime for field-training. LOTS of "voluntary" ot and on-call, but, hey, when you are young and stupid, you give'er.

Per VS first paragraph, Waskesiu Lake (aka PA NP) WAS and probably STILL IS, a VERY desirable posting. Cost of living was, obviously, quite low in 1976, but it SHOULD still be low, as there were single (2 large bedrooms that could each accomodate 2 large beds, complete with common kitchen / Detachment coffee / break room, common washroom, and later laundry room, at the back of the "new" (circa 1976) Detachment) and married (1 duplex a block away) quarters.

Per VS' 2nd, I concur. Tell S&P what and where you are interested in, but do NOT pout with what you get right out of the gates of the 'Ranch. If you HAVE TO BE somewhere doing something, then either apply to THAT SPECIFIC other Federal Agency (F&O, ParksCanada, CWS, CSC, CBSA) or to whatever PS (OPP, SQ, FN PS, or Mun PS) or other LEA (Sheriff, HP, Corrections) LONG before you get the gold-wrapped pressed-horse-apple ticket to Club-Fed-On-The-Mighty-Wascana, as you WILL be disappointed, sullen, and of no use to us.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Whoop-Up
Rookie Member

Postby Whoop-Up » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:09 pm

jeffhere wrote:
Pete's drunken darts metaphor is apt.

I was at depot 13 years ago and we were told that O, A and C were closed. As a southern Ontario kid I had already anticipated that and was looking forward to moving north or west.
Myself and two of my troopmates were subsequently posted to Toronto.

Your first posting will be a complete crapshoot but you can make the most of it by learning the job and determining what you want your career to look like.
Horseman in Hogtown

Whoop-Up
Rookie Member

Postby Whoop-Up » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:17 pm

Tornelco wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 am
VanSmack wrote:
jeffhere wrote:

Thanks.
Don't forget about the weekly rotation of drunk and unpleasant tourists.
I've worked with a couple members who came from touristy detachments. As beautiful as they can be to visit, having your forge cap ripped off by drunk Australians doesn't necessarily make for a desirable posting.
Horseman in Hogtown

Canadianpatriot

Postby Canadianpatriot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Suit and tie is not my thing.. I spent most of my life wearing athletic wear or military uniforms. Now that I have been invited for Poly, a business casual attire is mandatory. I am feeling uncomfrotable already, knowing that I have to wear a tie. I know It's going to smother me !!! Can I just wear a nice professional shirt and pants without a tie ?
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:38 pm

Canadianpatriot wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:30 pm
Suit and tie is not my thing.. I spent most of my life wearing athletic wear or military uniforms. Now that I have been invited for Poly, a business casual attire is mandatory. I am feeling uncomfrotable already, knowing that I have to wear a tie. I know It's going to smother me !!! Can I just wear a nice professional shirt and pants without a tie ?
Tie, as far as I know is not mandatory in the "casual" form. Go with a nice pants and shirt and you will be fine, and make sure your shoes shine ;).

Good luck !

Canadianpatriot

Postby Canadianpatriot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:45 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:38 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
make sure your shoes shine ;).

Good luck !
Haha, I won't wear them until I see my face reflecting on them 😁 thanks wolf 🤜🤛

oxlemar

Postby oxlemar » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:56 pm

Canadianpatriot wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:45 pm
IronWolf wrote:
Canadianpatriot wrote:

Good luck !
I wore a polo and dress pants both times I had to it. If anything it made things easier.

Canadianpatriot

Postby Canadianpatriot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:06 pm

oxlemar wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:56 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:45 pm
IronWolf wrote:

Good luck !
I wore a polo and dress pants both times I had to it. If anything it made things easier.
I was thinking about polo shirt too,but I wasn't sure if it would work. thanks for sharing your experience Ox.

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:20 pm

Canadianpatriot wrote:
The key is to dress to impress right? However with the polygraph, you also want to make sure you're comfortable, since you'll be sitting for anywhere from 2-4 hours. Business casual is the best bet, however I took off my tie almost immediately and rolled up my sleeves at my examiner's request since you get a BP cuff and chest strap put on during the questions.

You can always ask your examiner/analyst what they'd recommend you wear for this specific portion of the process as well.

Good luck!
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#2 - Nov 16, 2020-May 17, 2021

Canadianpatriot

Postby Canadianpatriot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:37 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:20 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
since you get a BP cuff and chest strap put on during the questions.
Exactly, I was taking this part in consideration as well. But yeah I can still wear a tie and request to take it off when I get there. That's a good Idea. Thank you

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:04 pm

Email states a light weight shirt with short sleeves is the best. Polo shirt will suffice. You don't need to be dressed nicely for an interrogation.
RCMP ON APP Dec 4 2019

SP: Dec16 2019
QA: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suit: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP invite: Sept/20
PEP rec: Sept/20
Med/Psy: :swords:
Municipal apps: On-Going

Canadianpatriot

Postby Canadianpatriot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:11 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:04 pm
Email states a light weight shirt with short sleeves is the best. Polo shirt will suffice. You don't need to be dressed nicely for an interrogation.
Did you get your email wingman ?

Silvaticus

Postby Silvaticus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:28 pm

Canadianpatriot wrote:
I've done dress shirt and tie the first two PEP I attended. The last one I wore a nice polo, dress pants, and I polished my shoes. You get strapped in, the tie gets in the way. Polo and dress pants are still plenty professional, and is definitively 'business casual'.
RCMP SK APP
Online App 16/05/2019
S/P Sent 06/06/2019
RMAQ 09/10/2019
RFI 16/10/2019
BGI 28/10/2019
PEP 26/11/2019
PEP Rec 02/12/2019
Med/Psych 29/01/2020
Med Cleared 05/02/2020
Sec start 05/02/2020

Silvaticus

Postby Silvaticus » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:04 pm
Dressed nicely is definitely a requirement here. Although, not formal. I'll share with you what my PEP examiner sent me. I'm paraphrasing, "Often applicants will ask me what to wear to the interview. I take that opportunity to remind them that you are applying for a job with the National Police Force of Canada so dress appropriately." Remember, this is the first time they meet you in person. First impressions are key.
Last edited by Silvaticus on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCMP SK APP
Online App 16/05/2019
S/P Sent 06/06/2019
RMAQ 09/10/2019
RFI 16/10/2019
BGI 28/10/2019
PEP 26/11/2019
PEP Rec 02/12/2019
Med/Psych 29/01/2020
Med Cleared 05/02/2020
Sec start 05/02/2020