RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Pete Broccolo

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:31 am

Marunga wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:59 am
Pete Broccolo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:03 pm
Marunga wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 pm
Does anyone know if Voltaren or A5/35 stain any of the issued kit at Depot?
If you end up at the MTC, after a boo-boo, they may, or may not, depending on your assessed level of being addicted to them...unless you are wondering if you have to re-finish a fence while there, and if so, they will probably go with whatever is on sale at Beaver Lumber this week.
I have yet to see a study of someone being addicted to either of those but I suppose anything is possible; though highly improbable.

I wasn't so much wondering about staining a fence as much as I'm concerned about staining/discolouring cotton/polyester fabrics. Nobody wants to be that person with a stained uniform during inspection so I'm just trying to minimize any unnecessary headaches.

Thank you for your response.
Yep, I am the idiot, as I OBVIOUSLY completely mis-read your question; carry on as if I am normal!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

sig1992

Postby sig1992 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Marunga wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 am
Stripes wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm
Marunga wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 pm
Does anyone know if Voltaren or A5/35 stain any of the issued kit at Depot?
You will use both regularly at Depot. They’re safe.
Thank you
I’ve used both of those topical creams whenever I was on a course with the CAF, I lathered it on generously with no issues ever observed on any visible kit but the only remarks made were regarding the smell that was radiating off of me (especially the A5/35).

I used some on days where I had to be in DEU’s for 10 hours straight and I had no issues there, even afterwards when I checked the layers in direct contact with my skin, zero staining or discolouration, again, just that very pungent smell but it is something to consider because it is very strong smelling.

Mtlgirl
Rookie Member

Postby Mtlgirl » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Good day to all!

After carefully reading the threads regarding the subject of "Things to bring" to Depot, I have a question to anyone who is currently at depot or was. I have gone through the list provided by my recruiter and would like to know if any of you would have personal recommendations of things to bring? I intend on packing extremely lightly as I understand a lot of clothing will be provided to us. I will be at Depot from October to April.

Thank you! :D
Applied: 2018/03/25
AOR: 2018/06/25
SP sent: 2018/07/07
SP Reviewed: 2018/08/02
RMAQ Interview: 2018/08/19
PEP REC: 2018/11/28
BGI: 2019/02/12
MED/PSYCH: 2019/03/05
SC: 2019/05/27
Troop #24: October 21st

Charoskh
Rookie Member

Postby Charoskh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:05 am

BOSS19 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:59 pm
Currently doing the RMAQ. Just need help answering “have you ever stole anything”. I have never done such behaviour. Out of Curiosity, how specific would I need to be on this question?
I’m sorry but it’s funny.
How specific do you wanna be about never stealing anything ! Logic please!

- Have you ever stolen anything?
If "yes" was selected in the previous question, please describe in detail every theft you have committed, starting with the most recent.
Yes or No???

You don’t need any specification if you DID NOT steal anything.

Charoskh
Rookie Member

Postby Charoskh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:14 am

sig1992 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Marunga wrote:
Stripes wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm

You will use both regularly at Depot. They’re safe.
Thank you
I’ve used both of those topical creams whenever I was on a course with the CAF, I lathered it on generously with no issues ever observed on any visible kit but the only remarks made were regarding the smell that was radiating off of me (especially the A5/35).

I used some on days where I had to be in DEU’s for 10 hours straight and I had no issues there, even afterwards when I checked the layers in direct contact with my skin, zero staining or discolouration, again, just that very pungent smell but it is something to consider because it is very strong smelling.

Hey, may I please ask why were you using them regularly when you were with the CAF?
Am I missing anything about these creams?

sig1992

Postby sig1992 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:13 am

Charoskh wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:14 am
sig1992 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Marunga wrote:

Thank you

Hey, may I please ask why were you using them regularly when you were with the CAF?
Am I missing anything about these creams?
They are muscle treatment creams for muscle pains and spasms, known as “heat rubs” because they give a sensation to the applied area being cold/hot, it’s a life-saver after a 13km ruck march or any physical activity where you’re left feeling a little sore.

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Postby Leeworthy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 am

Only ever had to use that stuff on my shoulders after rucking bear where we ruck over 20km. Best way to avoid having to use any sort of creams and rubs is to make sure that you are in shape before going to Depot. Fitness isn't only important for your health but also for your life. Strive to be fit for duty as they say before going. Depot isn't meant to get you into shape and it's only going to be another hurdle for you to work through.

OPP have a program called the Fitness Pin, you have to run it once a week during your application process at a minimum. If you can continually score high on your PIN before attending Depot I would think you should be able to focus more on academics and assignments rather than worrying about being in pain from PT.

Personally, the last thing I want to be worried about if I get that call is if I am in shape enough to complete the program.

Again, just my 0.02 cents, as I am also in the application process lol.
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

JoshG

Postby JoshG » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:42 am

I’m sure it varies for every applicant, but what’s the general timeframe look like from application to Depot lately? Seems to be 1.5 to 2 years judging by the timeline in people’s signatures.
Corrections Officer

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Postby Leeworthy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:06 pm

JoshG wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:42 am
I’m sure it varies for every applicant, but what’s the general timeframe look like from application to Depot lately? Seems to be 1.5 to 2 years judging by the timeline in people’s signatures.
Well, you’re observation skills answered your question lol. Everyone’s is different and 1.5-2years would probably be the safe bet
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

Ahmad.A
Rookie Member

Postby Ahmad.A » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Hello

I am about to re-apply after taking care of what stopped me on my last deferral.(Hint: make sure you have all your references before applying). Considering the application process can take over 12 months, I was wondering if there are things I can work on to either speed up the process or increase my chances. Currently I volunteer every week, do physical training every other day, take classes, read, drive, go to the range. Is there anything else you would add that you felt has made you more successful in the process?

Thanks.

khaira93
Rookie Member

Postby khaira93 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:02 pm

I used Rub A535 a handful of times. Sure it'll smell a bit (unless you bathe in it), but it's pain relief. You ideally do not want to be sitting around in MTC/Mod B.

Don't overthink Depot. It's challenging in every way but have fun with it, and be a good troop mate.
Troop 28, 2018/11/26 - 2019/06/03
E Division

markinvan
Rookie Member

Postby markinvan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Ahmad.A wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:54 pm
Hello

I am about to re-apply after taking care of what stopped me on my last deferral.(Hint: make sure you have all your references before applying). Considering the application process can take over 12 months, I was wondering if there are things I can work on to either speed up the process or increase my chances. Currently I volunteer every week, do physical training every other day, take classes, read, drive, go to the range. Is there anything else you would add that you felt has made you more successful in the process?

Thanks.
It really varies greatly from applicants to applicants. Doing what you described surely won't backfire on you.
BC Applicant
Lasik Surgery-04/18
Online App-05/18
SP-08/18
RMAQ Rev-10/18
PEP-11/18
PEP Rec-12/18
MMPI-2-01/19
FSR Rec-02/18
Medical Rec-04/19
Security Rec-05/19
Troop #23 Oct.14 :pistols:

Marunga
Rookie Member

Postby Marunga » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:20 am

Leeworthy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 am
Only ever had to use that stuff on my shoulders after rucking bear where we ruck over 20km. Best way to avoid having to use any sort of creams and rubs is to make sure that you are in shape before going to Depot. Fitness isn't only important for your health but also for your life. Strive to be fit for duty as they say before going. Depot isn't meant to get you into shape and it's only going to be another hurdle for you to work through.

OPP have a program called the Fitness Pin, you have to run it once a week during your application process at a minimum. If you can continually score high on your PIN before attending Depot I would think you should be able to focus more on academics and assignments rather than worrying about being in pain from PT.

Personally, the last thing I want to be worried about if I get that call is if I am in shape enough to complete the program.

You're making assumptions about why people might use those products. Some of us are older, and have racked up some wear and tear on our bodies from years of sports, competition, work, activities of daily living and the occasional bad decision that starts with "Here, hold my beer".
Troop 20: 2019/09/16

Melanie1
Grand Poobah

Postby Melanie1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Leeworthy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 am

Just wait until self defence and arrest and control. Everyone will be passing that A535 around. Wrestling around on the mats gets old and moving body parts and limbs that aren’t moved in directions like that on a regular basis will get you sore with no doubt.
I’ll be getting the Costco sized bottle for Depot!
CX

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 am

Ahmad.A wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:54 pm
Hello

Thanks.
Nothing you do will speed it up, just slow it down, or halt it, as you mentioned. We always need LOTS of good candidates, and, if our pending-Association is as successful as such bodies are for the other Provincial, Regional, FN, and Municipal PS, then we will need even more each year in the future.

The BIGGEST issue that potential, and current, applicants, and Cadets at Depot, MUST wrestle with, along with their significant other, family, and friends, is, "Am I REALLY willing to be posted to ANY Division (Province), ANY location, ANY Detachment or Unit, ANY duty, as OFTEN as the needs (whim) of the Force DICTATES, with (most likely) NO consideration of my wants, needs, desires, and / or aspirations?!"

IF the Force retains its International, National, Federal, Provincial, First Nations, and Municipal, mandates, the Association MAY be able to help with the above questions, but the Force MAY have to drop its Prov, FN, and Mun, duties to concentrate on the quasi-FBI-like work. Our members MOST LIKELY would have first-refusal to patch-over locally, or could cause a feeding-frenzy for Agency head-hunters AND household-effects moving companies with cross-Canada moves.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)