RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
azims
Veteran Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby azims » Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 pm

It amazes me how applicants (not all) think they got a free pass to critize the RCMP and have this expectation that the force owes them or some sort. Good on recruiting for making these changes to the process so that they can weed out the undiserables.

Eagles1992

Postby Eagles1992 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:24 pm

test100001 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:13 pm
Just saw all the changes they made to the process and I'm left speechless. I was expecting they would radically shorten and simplify both the recruitment and training, but instead they made it even longer and more cumbersome.
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/how-to-apply

The key point is that going forward they added mandatory in person steps for the career presentation and the RCMP entrance exam. These will be impossible to do anytime soon due to the social distancing guidelines. Then in the fall as social distancing restrictions ease you will see a second wave of COVID at the same time as a surge in seasonal flu cases (which are difficult to differentiate from COVID symptoms). It basically means those mandatory in person initial steps won’t be happening much in 2020 or winter 2021.

The other change where all the paperwork (all forms and documents) are to be submitted within 2 business days is comical at best when they make applicants wait for literally years. Previously they would give you a week or two to send everything in. The amount of background information, nosy questions, and documents they ask for is well above and beyond what is asked for in positions requiring Top Secret Enhanced clearances in other agencies, even though most likely you’ll end up policing a small town or city dealing with nothing particularly sensitive.

Then for the people already in the process nothing is happing for any in-person appointments. Basically nothing moving forward from the phone interview steps onwards anytime soon. Then once those things start moving forward eventually very slowly, Depot will never return to anywhere near pre-COVID full capacity since social distancing measures will be the new normal in 2020 and 2021. Online training and remote work will also be the new normal everywhere else in government.

This means if you’re in the process not much will happen this year, and if you’re not in the process definitely not much will happen this year.

As for anyone who was deferred, declined an offer, quit training, or is a returning applicant, there is no such thing as a “re-insertion”. They will make you apply from the very beginning again and go through all the regular steps starting from zero.

Going forward RCMP will have big staffing shortages from here on and exponentially increasing staffing gaps in the next few years. I suspect there will be a big shift to more specialized civilian positions as a solution to reduce the amount of positions required for RMs. This civilianization has already happened in the recruiting units and in some HQ units. As for the mobility policy, you’ll probably end up in the worst possible places because that’s where the biggest staff shortages happen to be.

Hopefully you hopefuls have made other career plans for the next year or two or three.

Just keeping it real.
Sounds like you're actually not upset about the RCMP application process changing, but rather scared of it. Some people attack what they fear and others rise up to the challenge.
"You asked for my hustle, I gave you my heart." -Kobe Bryant

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat May 23, 2020 12:11 pm

azims wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 pm
It amazes me how applicants (not all) think they got a free pass to critize the RCMP and have this expectation that the force owes them or some sort. Good on recruiting for making these changes to the process so that they can weed out the undiserables.
Entitled applicants leads to entitled members.
K division.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat May 23, 2020 12:21 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 pm
test100001 wrote:
Just saw all the changes they made to the process and I'm left speechless. I was expecting they would radically shorten and simplify both the recruitment and training, but instead they made it even longer and more cumbersome.

The key point is that going forward they added mandatory in person steps for the career presentation and the RCMP entrance exam. These will be impossible to do anytime soon due to the social distancing guidelines. Then in the fall as social distancing restrictions ease you will see a second wave of COVID at the same time as a surge in seasonal flu cases (which are difficult to differentiate from COVID symptoms). It basically means those mandatory in person initial steps won’t be happening much in 2020 or winter 2021.

The other change where all the paperwork (all forms and documents) are to be submitted within 2 business days is comical at best when they make applicants wait for literally years. Previously they would give you a week or two to send everything in. The amount of background information, nosy questions, and documents they ask for is well above and beyond what is asked for in positions requiring Top Secret Enhanced clearances in other agencies, even though most likely you’ll end up policing a small town or city dealing with nothing particularly sensitive.

Then for the people already in the process nothing is happing for any in-person appointments. Basically nothing moving forward from the phone interview steps onwards anytime soon. Then once those things start moving forward eventually very slowly, Depot will never return to anywhere near pre-COVID full capacity since social distancing measures will be the new normal in 2020 and 2021. Online training and remote work will also be the new normal everywhere else in government.

This means if you’re in the process not much will happen this year, and if you’re not in the process definitely not much will happen this year.

As for anyone who was deferred, declined an offer, quit training, or is a returning applicant, there is no such thing as a “re-insertion”. They will make you apply from the very beginning again and go through all the regular steps starting from zero.

Going forward RCMP will have big staffing shortages from here on and exponentially increasing staffing gaps in the next few years. I suspect there will be a big shift to more specialized civilian positions as a solution to reduce the amount of positions required for RMs. This civilianization has already happened in the recruiting units and in some HQ units. As for the mobility policy, you’ll probably end up in the worst possible places because that’s where the biggest staff shortages happen to be.

Hopefully you hopefuls have made other career plans for the next year or two or three.

Just keeping it real.
Then don't apply. You sound like exactly the candidate they DON'T want.
I stand side-by-side in support of this.

You certainly took it real...stupid!

Sounds like Podunk Security and Dog Walking Service for you!!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat May 23, 2020 12:26 pm

Good work, everybody, running that fake account into the ground.

Shwarma all around...on Morley's corporate Diners Club card! "Excuse me, maitre'd, Dave Brown will have an Unhappy Meal, please!"

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Sat May 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:21 pm
test100001 wrote:

Just keeping it real.
If you think that getting all these forms done in a couple of days is too tough, then you are not prepared for a short turn around trying to get a court pack ready for someone's first appearance in court.

You want to question the "nosy" questions, which are the same more or less for any police force in the country, then go on to speak about how you'll just be policing in a small town anyways - perhaps this job isn't for you after all. You have no idea what I have access to.

This person sounded like a reporter anyways or some mole trying to get in by their post.

Every law enforcement agency should take up the practice of hiring from the RCMP

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:02 pm
...Every law enforcement agency should take up the practice of hiring from the RCMP
OK, THAT'S IT! WHO ARE YOU, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REST OF FONTHILL, AND WHY ARE YOU WEARING HIS SKIN?!

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Sat May 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm
Fonthill wrote:
...Every law enforcement agency should take up the practice of hiring from the RCMP
OK, THAT'S IT! WHO ARE YOU, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REST OF FONTHILL, AND WHY ARE YOU WEARING HIS SKIN?!
Lol. I would never wear that Person skin or want to be like them lol

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Sat May 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Lol. I would never wear that Person skin or want to be like them lol

The best one. They go on to say about the back ground and sensitivity to information when you are only in a small town what is the need.

Yeah, they do that for this reason so they don’t have people like his thinking sitting back getting the information then sending it off to person outside a small community

MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member

Postby MasterPlanMan » Sat May 23, 2020 4:54 pm

Honestly, how infuriating is it to hear someone who hasn't done a second on the job try and belittle any form of policing, be it small town/large city/investigative or patrol.

Anyways I don't mean to keep the hate train going. I actually applaud the RCMP for going against the fold when it comes to making a more rigorous application process. It's the only way to attract the right type of person and the most dedicated.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Sat May 23, 2020 10:06 pm

MasterPlanMan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:54 pm
Honestly, how infuriating is it to hear someone who hasn't done a second on the job try and belittle any form of policing, be it small town/large city/investigative or patrol.

Anyways I don't mean to keep the hate train going. I actually applaud the RCMP for going against the fold when it comes to making a more rigorous application process. It's the only way to attract the right type of person and the most dedicated.
Quality over quantity I also say, all day long.

It was always a mystery to me why some agencies keep having thousands of people apply for a few hundred jobs.

If too many apply and make it, it seems the criteria to apply are too loose. It sounds like a no brainer to me. So much waste of resources to evaluate people. Make the entry requirements harder and the process more demanding, but shorter than what it is now.

This is what some of the requirements for Secret service agents in US are:

=================
To move forward in the hiring process, you'll need to hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited university and demonstrate "superior academic achievement." The Secret Service expects you to have earned a GPA of 3.0 or higher, graduated in the top third of your class, or have been a member of a national academic honors society.
==================

It will be perfect if all LE agencies adopt such criteria , or similar.

DanyD92

Postby DanyD92 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:28 pm

test100001 wrote:

Just keeping it real.
One a positive note, Today marks 20 months in the process, that's 608 days to be exact. Very happy to be in the process and in light of circumstances my security file is actually being worked on ( 4 months in so far).
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP:20/12/18
QA review:15/01/19
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
Field invest:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med:03/10/19
Psych:16/10/19
Med Clearance: 16/01/20
SC: 28/07/20
Troop: Troop 8

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun May 24, 2020 10:26 am

MasterPlanMan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:54 pm

If this bothers you, I have some bad news to tell you about Facebook.
K division.

Wingman19
Veteran Member

Postby Wingman19 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Me during COVID-19 when I stop running for 2 weeks.
RCMP ON APP Dec 4 2019

SP: Dec16 2019
QA: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suit: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
Field Investigation: June/20
PEP invite: Sept/20
PEP rec: Sept/20
Med/Psy: :swords:
Municipal apps: On-Going

Silvaticus

Postby Silvaticus » Sun May 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Dang it. I'm always late to the party on these crazy posts/posters.
RCMP SK APP
Online App 16/05/2019
S/P Sent 06/06/2019
RMAQ 09/10/2019
RFI 16/10/2019
BGI 28/10/2019
PEP 26/11/2019
PEP Rec 02/12/2019
Med/Psych 29/01/2020
Med Cleared 05/02/2020
Sec start 05/02/2020