RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

VanSmack

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby VanSmack » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Nick94 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:46 pm
To any serving members, would anyone be able to tell me what are the prerequisites to join IBET in C Division? How many years of experience would a member needs to apply? Do they need a certain amount of knowledge of immigration and customs acts?
Whenever a position is available and posted for people to apply, the advertise will have the minimum competencies and requirements listed within the advertisement, they generally won't have a set number of years service as part of those requirements. I'm not going to go research a specific competency profile and then go dig all the competency level definitions for you, because that would be a pain in my ass, and generally a useless exercise anyway.

What the real answer to your question should be is this: minimum requirements are only a starting point, you have to be more experienced/skilled than the other people applying. As C Division is limited in terms of actual membership, openings are also much less frequently available. If you are hoping to find your way into one of those spots you would first need to be more competitive than pretty much anyone else trying to get the spot. Even then it's never a certainty.

People who are always asking how long do I have to do something else before I can go into this fancy unit wherever it is they want to go are short changing themselves. GD Cst. can be the most fun you'll ever have in this organization, if you keep your head down and your mouth shut and do good work on a) interviews, b) confidential informants, or c) writing various search warrants, etc. someone will notice and give you your shot.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Craigeritz
Veteran Member

Postby Craigeritz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:32 pm

Nick94 wrote:
To any serving members, would anyone be able to tell me what are the prerequisites to join IBET in C Division? How many years of experience would a member needs to apply? Do they need a certain amount of knowledge of immigration and customs acts?
Anywhere from 3-25+ years. Really depends on what you bring to the table and what others competing for that position also bring to the table. Really no different than any other job/promotion/etc .. considering the scope of work for IBET then yes I'd assume a working knowledge of border services/immigration/customs would be an asset.

Keep your doors open. No point in focusing on a single job in the rcmp before you can do the job you are originally applying for. This goes for all applicants. Sure, be aware of what options are available but dont put the cart before the horse.
"I'm going to ert"
"I'm going to be a dog handler"
"I'm going to plain clothes"
- every recruit before they realize what GD even is.

This is a message to all recruits.
You'll have plenty of information and better networking to prepare for all these neat-special-sought after positions after you actually hit the road.
AB
PRK surgery: 8/11/2016
Online Application: 11/17/2016
SP: 1/13//2017
RMAQ: 8/28/2017
PEP: 1/09/2018
PEP review call: 1/17/18
PEP rec: 3/13/18
PSYCH: 3/19/18
MED: 4/6/18-- 6/11/18
BGI: 3/19/18
FSR: 4/9/2018- 6/4/18
SC: 6/4/18- --8/8/2018
Troop 16

schaud403
Rookie Member

Postby schaud403 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Craigeritz wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:23 pm
schaud403 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:47 am
steen15 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:34 am

I would say this, if you're not prepared to live anywhere in Canada in the service of the RCMP don't apply. It sounds harsh but what's worse is having someone apply, get accepted, take a spot in Depot and then quit after 17 weeks because they don't want to move their family to North Battleford.
Appreciate the reply and yes I completely 100% agree with you however (IMO) it defeats the purpose of the force saying to applicants that if you live in any of the western provinces, you can stay in your home province and then provide us with your wish list of Top 30 locations and we will see what we can do for you but no guarantees.

It would be nice to know there is some flexibility and understanding. Why not compromise with candidates and expand your potential talent pool?

This is no longer a thing... they made that clear to cadets last summer/fall at depot. Odds of returning to your western home province are high but dont bank on it. I had buddies from Alberta land in sk and bc with Ontario guys landing in ab.... And your wish list is exactly that... a wish list. I put in many.. MANY detachments that pick up LOTS of recruits and I didnt get any. Some of my troop mates got postings from my list that weren't on their list. Just how she goes.
Thanks for the feedback! This is some good insight.

vbutterflies
Rookie Member

Postby vbutterflies » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:15 am

Hi everyone, hope y'all are having a good day!

I've been thinking about applying to the RCMP because I believe it's a noble organization whose members have noble duties. I have some questions, but first, here's a little info about me:

1. Born in China, 1997 (age 22)
2. At age 11, family moved from China to the United States and I completed middle school & high school education in USA (2009 - 2015)
3. Completed bachelor of arts in political science at McGill university (2015 -2019)
4. Passed citizenship test on March. 24th, 2019; awaiting swearing in ceremony to become Canadian Citizen (should happen within 2-4 months from the date that this is posted)
5. Possess plenty of work/volunteer experiences.

Some questions I have regarding the application process:
1. How long is the wait (generally speaking) between the day that I submit my online application and the day I receive my offer to go to training camp? - The reason I need to know this is because I want to know if I should find a job, while waiting, after graduation.
2. Is it difficult for recently naturalized Canadian citizens to become RCMP? Because on the day of my application, I would have only been a citizen for only a couple of days, or worse, I might apply on the day I get my citizenship.

Thank you all in advance for any comments/input!

Suikoden

Postby Suikoden » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:52 am

vbutterflies wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:15 am

1. How long is the wait (generally speaking) between the day that I submit my online application and the day I receive my offer to go to training camp? - The reason I need to know this is because I want to know if I should find a job, while waiting, after graduation.

1.5 to 20 years.

You’re going to wait a long time (as evidenced numerous times in this thread); go work and live life normally.
Five laps owed so far

29 Mar - OTEE pass
28/29 Apr - CRFSC/CFSC pass

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:06 pm

vbutterflies wrote:

I've been thinking about applying to the RCMP because I believe it's a noble organization whose members have noble duties. I have some questions, but first, here's a little info about me:

2. At age 11, family moved from China to the United States and I completed middle school & high school education in USA (2009 - 2015)
3. Completed bachelor of arts in political science at McGill university (2015 -2019)
4. Passed citizenship test on March. 24th, 2019; awaiting swearing in ceremony to become Canadian Citizen (should happen within 2-4 months from the date that this is posted)

2. Is it difficult for recently naturalized Canadian citizens to become RCMP? Because on the day of my application, I would have only been a citizen for only a couple of days, or worse, I might apply on the day I get my citizenship.

You have not read through this thread, or the various associated "applicants from whatever Province", have you? Then do so.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC & NPF supporter
Husband, Dad, F-I-L, & Grampa

scout_87
Rookie Member

Postby scout_87 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:23 pm

vbutterflies wrote:

If you read through the forums you’ll notice that there have been a few people who have applied and been deferred due to the fact that they haven’t lived in Canada for at least 7 years. I’d say live your life, get a job in the meantime cause it could be another 3+ years before the security department can even look at you to issue you a security clearance.
RCMP BC Applicant
Online App: 06/08/17
RPAB: 07/18/17
SP: 08/14/17
RMAQ: 12/17/17
PEP: 06/20/18
PEP Rec: 07/05/18
Med: 07/20/18
Psych: 08/07/18
Med/Psych Rec: 09/06/18
BGI Rec: 09/18
FS Rev: 12/18
SC: 03/08/19
Troop 14 - July 22nd

John014
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby John014 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:34 am

VanSmack wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:26 pm
Nick94 wrote:
Whenever a position is available and posted for people to apply, the advertise will have the minimum competencies and requirements listed within the advertisement, they generally won't have a set number of years service as part of those requirements. I'm not going to go research a specific competency profile and then go dig all the competency level definitions for you, because that would be a pain in my ass, and generally a useless exercise anyway.

What the real answer to your question should be is this: minimum requirements are only a starting point, you have to be more experienced/skilled than the other people applying. As C Division is limited in terms of actual membership, openings are also much less frequently available. If you are hoping to find your way into one of those spots you would first need to be more competitive than pretty much anyone else trying to get the spot. Even then it's never a certainty.

People who are always asking how long do I have to do something else before I can go into this fancy unit wherever it is they want to go are short changing themselves. GD Cst. can be the most fun you'll ever have in this organization, if you keep your head down and your mouth shut and do good work on a) interviews, b) confidential informants, or c) writing various search warrants, etc. someone will notice and give you your shot.
Add to that whether your Division will release you. It will be shorter for a member in C div then it will in any other.

People work so hard to get into this uniform and then seem to be excited to get out of it. I know a few members from IBET who (personally) think it is the most boring job ever and would not recommend it to anyone. I come from CBSA so I thought it would be a good career path and after 4 years in GD I realize this is the only place I want to be. Do not get into this job anticipating getting out of GD. Join, be a good cop and let the career path flow naturally.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

"We aren't putting fuckin pickles on burgers here" - Sgt. S.
Police Officer

Jon.
Grand Poobah

Postby Jon. » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:19 pm

John014 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:34 am
People work so hard to get into this uniform and then seem to be excited to get out of it.
When GD is treated like a redheaded rented mule stepchild of course they are.

Craigeritz
Veteran Member

Postby Craigeritz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Jon. wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:19 pm
John014 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:34 am
People work so hard to get into this uniform and then seem to be excited to get out of it.
When GD is treated like a redheaded rented mule stepchild of course they are.
Grass is always greener somewhere else.
Also, redheads can be wicked attractive, just like GD it's not everyone cup of tea. But it really doesnt make sense to apply to the force and pre-plan leaving gd before you even lace up.
AB
PRK surgery: 8/11/2016
Online Application: 11/17/2016
SP: 1/13//2017
RMAQ: 8/28/2017
PEP: 1/09/2018
PEP review call: 1/17/18
PEP rec: 3/13/18
PSYCH: 3/19/18
MED: 4/6/18-- 6/11/18
BGI: 3/19/18
FSR: 4/9/2018- 6/4/18
SC: 6/4/18- --8/8/2018
Troop 16

Jon.
Grand Poobah

Postby Jon. » Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 am

Craigeritz wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:50 pm
But it really doesnt make sense to apply to the force and pre-plan leaving gd before you even lace up.
I'll politely disagree with not applying if you don't want to do GD. Keep in mind we're have the large federal duties, and we have members that have a goal of doing federal work. One of my troopmates for example, from Ontario, his goal was to get into federal policing. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest.

BUT, and here's my own personal opinion. This outfit could do itself a world of good and make simple policy changes. Say you have to do X years of GD before you can do anything else.
It would make things a lot more clear and cut and dried, prevent a lot of questions about how long do I have to stick it out in GD before moving to something else. Prevent a lot of bitching from someone who does say, two years in black lake and figures they're owed something.

I personally joined to do GD, that was my only goal, and I hit that goal. ;)

KV2019
Rookie Member

Postby KV2019 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 am

Hello,

I have a question about the RMAQ. I work as a security agent at the moment and there is this girl whom I believe is interested having a date with me but I keep hesitating since It could be seen badly and I wanted to know if I do it, will it be considered as using the work for personal purposes in the RMAQ? The reason I’m asking this is because I haven’t done the poly yet and I don’t want to do it and have to reveal it later in the poly because it is considered as so. I’ve never used work for personal purposes before and I intend to keep it that way, but I believe doing that in the context is not considered as. I just want to make sure if that’s ok or nah.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 am

KV2019 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 am
Hello,

I have a question about the RMAQ. I work as a security agent at the moment and there is this girl whom I believe is interested having a date with me but I keep hesitating since It could be seen badly and I wanted to know if I do it, will it be considered as using the work for personal purposes in the RMAQ? The reason I’m asking this is because I haven’t done the poly yet and I don’t want to do it and have to reveal it later in the poly because it is considered as so. I’ve never used work for personal purposes before and I intend to keep it that way, but I believe doing that in the context is not considered as. I just want to make sure if that’s ok or nah.
If you are talking swiping on Tinder while using employee-eyes-only work records management system, or trading kiss-and-tickle for restricted-access-violation, then I would say do a head-stand to reverse the blood-flow hourly/ In other words, if you THINK it may be bad, it probably IS bad...and, no, none of us Admins or Mods want to discuss this privately with you, so don't send any of us a message.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC & NPF supporter
Husband, Dad, F-I-L, & Grampa

Patrickjrt3
Rookie Member

Postby Patrickjrt3 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:44 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 am
KV2019 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 am
Hello,

If you are talking swiping on Tinder while using employee-eyes-only work records management system, or trading kiss-and-tickle for restricted-access-violation, then I would say do a head-stand to reverse the blood-flow hourly/ In other words, if you THINK it may be bad, it probably IS bad...and, no, none of us Admins or Mods want to discuss this privately with you, so don't send any of us a message.

At the minimum, you would have to disclose a conflict of interest to your current employer.

You are logically in a position of « authority » to the employee. That could make it a big no-no.

Take it from someone who currently works in H.R. : Keep it as a rule not to have work relationships. Not the image you wish to portrait, and so much trouble on the long run...

In hope this helps!
App: Apr 18-2017
SP: Apr 27
RMAQ Int: Jun 9-2017
RMAQ Rec: Dec 12-2017
PEP: Feb 2-2018
PEP Rev: Mar 12-2018
PEP Rec: Mar 29-2018
BGI: Mar 29-2018
Psych: May 2-2018
Med: Jun 8-2018
Med Rec: Jul 9-2018
SC: Apr 4-2019
SLE: Apr 27-2019
Troop 21, Sep 23-2019

John014
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby John014 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Jon. wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 am
Craigeritz wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:50 pm
But it really doesnt make sense to apply to the force and pre-plan leaving gd before you even lace up.
I'll politely disagree with not applying if you don't want to do GD. Keep in mind we're have the large federal duties, and we have members that have a goal of doing federal work. One of my troopmates for example, from Ontario, his goal was to get into federal policing. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest.

BUT, and here's my own personal opinion. This outfit could do itself a world of good and make simple policy changes. Say you have to do X years of GD before you can do anything else.
It would make things a lot more clear and cut and dried, prevent a lot of questions about how long do I have to stick it out in GD before moving to something else. Prevent a lot of bitching from someone who does say, two years in black lake and figures they're owed something.

I personally joined to do GD, that was my only goal, and I hit that goal. ;)
100% agree.
5 + year minimum GD before you should be allowed to change jobs. Get to know the basic of the job before moving on.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

"We aren't putting fuckin pickles on burgers here" - Sgt. S.
Police Officer