RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

MichaelVAP
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby MichaelVAP » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

I am a new user here but have been following this thread for quite awhile now. Submitted my application and have done the necessary steps to advance within the RCMP application process. The process seems quite fast as I submitted my OLISS and I heard from one of my references they got contacted the same day which got me quite excited.

After doing extensive searching online and even on the forums I am unable to find a solid answer that’s up to date regarding the medical examination.

I see that the physical requirement is to pass PARE, I also read on the rcmp website that you need to be able to:
1) run 1.5 miles in 10minutes
2) run 3 miles in 22 minutes
3) run 5 miles in 40 minutes
4) do a minimum of 25 push ups
5) do a minimum of 6 pull ups

That being said that was made in 2016 and apparently the process overall has been modified over the years.

My simple answer is what makes a pass or fail on the medical evaluation? This has been keeping me awake at night as I can’t find any information on it.

Questions people will ask me:
1) Current weight and height: 256 lbs at 5’ 6”.
Answer: I understand this is considered obese but I have made immense changes in my life. As of March 1st 2019 I weighed 270 lbs. I have stopped to 256 since. I do the gym daily for 2 hours (1 hour cardio and 1 hour strength) + calorie count and consume approximately 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day. I plan to lose about 70 lbs in 6 months time from March 1st.

2) I take no drugs, never have (besides supplements like Calcium and iron to boost weight loss and promote a healthier body). I don’t drink or smoke either.

3) No muscle or joint issues and no chronic illnesses of any kind.

Feel free to ask if you have need of further details.

Besides this I really look forward to the PEP and hopefully offer of employment down the line :).

Apologies in advance if this has been asked in the past. I did see someone mention they failed due to being overweight but I believe the post was made in 2016.

Thank you all for reading, hope you have wonderful days.
ON App
March 9th 2019 - Applied online
April 2nd 2019 - RPAB
April 16th 2019 - S/P received
April 19th 2019 - OLISS sent
April 20th 2019 - S/P sent
June 5th 2019 - S/P approved
June 24th 2019 - Clerical Test

BS1991

Postby BS1991 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:46 pm

No one here can give you a definite answer. You'll go see an RCMP approved doctor (from a list they provide) and they conduct what I would call a relatively basic health assessment. They ask you basic health related questions, check your heartbeat ect. Again, the medical portion honestly, should be the least of your concerns.

I hope I don't come off rude here, but judging from your weight/height and your concerns about the medical and fitness requirements it sounds like you're pretty unhealthy. Although, I do commend you for changing your life and losing weight, you still have a long road ahead of you.

This why I wish the PARE was still done before people went to Depot. It would save the RCMP time and money bringing people there, only to fail the PARE in the first week. It would also encourage applicants to get into better shape then apply, rather applying and then trying to get into shape.

Depot isn't easy and there's a fair amount of emphasis put on fitness while you're there. What often happens is people go there, lose some weight and then just get fat again once they graduate and are on RFT. You don't need to be an Olympian to be a police officer, but there's nothing worse then asking for cover (for a potential fight/use of force incident) and your back up is super out of shape and really doesn't provide any assistance. I've also found that people are less likely to challenge, run or fight you if you're in shape (just my two cents though)

I would just keep dieting and exercising like you currently are doing. There's not much else you can do or any advice anyone can give you.
Police Officer

Depot Web
Lord of the Poobahs
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:52 pm

MichaelVAP wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:33 pm
I see that the physical requirement is to pass PARE, I also read on the rcmp website that you need to be able to:

That being said that was made in 2016 and apparently the process overall has been modified over the years.
That web page is still current: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/enrollment

The recruiting team is good at making sure outdated information is removed from the site.

While there have been changes made to the recruiting process, the benchmarks needed to graduate from Depot have not changed. These pre-Depot fitness recommendations are designed to prepare you for the RCMP Academy. If you cannot meet these benchmarks by the time you get to Depot, you will find yourself spending time to work on your fitness that could be better spent studying and training.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

trust82

Postby trust82 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 pm

MichaelVAP wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:33 pm
Good afternoon everyone,

I am a new user here but have been following this thread for quite awhile now. Submitted my application and have done the necessary steps to advance within the RCMP application process. The process seems quite fast as I submitted my OLISS and I heard from one of my references they got contacted the same day which got me quite excited.

After doing extensive searching online and even on the forums I am unable to find a solid answer that’s up to date regarding the medical examination.

My simple answer is what makes a pass or fail on the medical evaluation? This has been keeping me awake at night as I can’t find any information on it.

Questions people will ask me:
1) Current weight and height: 256 lbs at 5’ 6”.
Answer: I understand this is considered obese but I have made immense changes in my life. As of March 1st 2019 I weighed 270 lbs. I have stopped to 256 since. I do the gym daily for 2 hours (1 hour cardio and 1 hour strength) + calorie count and consume approximately 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day. I plan to lose about 70 lbs in 6 months time from March 1st.

2) I take no drugs, never have (besides supplements like Calcium and iron to boost weight loss and promote a healthier body). I don’t drink or smoke either.

3) No muscle or joint issues and no chronic illnesses of any kind.

Feel free to ask if you have need of further details.

Besides this I really look forward to the PEP and hopefully offer of employment down the line :).

Apologies in advance if this has been asked in the past. I did see someone mention they failed due to being overweight but I believe the post was made in 2016.

Thank you all for reading, hope you have wonderful days.
Hi "Michael",
I would also say that you seem overweight.
Have you ever considered KETOGENIC diet. Do some research and see if it fits your health and lifestyle. I was on "keto" for more than 5 years. I lost 20lb, from 170 to 150, lb in less than 2 months, but I didn't cheat. Some health issues got fixed in less then 3 weeks. I had no idea my body was reacting bad to some nutrients. I feel great and have so much energy, since. The good thing is that when you lose weight on this diet, you don't lose muscle, but fat, as you can eat so much meat and veggies.

I just want to give you and other apllicants an idea. KETOGENIC diet is not for everybody. Talk to your doctor before trying it.

Also, I think that 2 hours of cardio per day and 1 hour of strength might be too much workout. (It may damage your joints in time. Instead, cut out the sugar and carbs intake).
Your body needs to rest 1 day/ week and its better to alternate the days of workout type (1 day for Cardio, next day for strength). Follow the instructions that the recruiters attach on every email they are sending us, regarding how to train for success.

For PARE, search online special RCMP Recruiting Events held in your area. Many Divisions organize "PARE workshops" and/or "Run with a Recruiter" events. Take advantage of these opportunities to see where you're at and to better yourself. If no such events are available in your area, do circuit training, at least once a week. Best place to do it is at a sports field that has bleaches (run 1st lap then run up the stairs 2x2 steps, then do a pushup; run 2nd lap, run upstairs than do 2 pushups, do as many laps as you can, increasing then decreasing the # of pushups when you get to the bottom of the stairs).

Training this way will help you get in shape faster and getting ready for Depot.
I hope it helps.
BC 2018-04
SP :18-10
RM:18-11
Pep:19-01
BGI:19-02
MD:19-02
FR :19-02
Psy:19-03
Md:19-05

Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Postby Shawshank » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Don’t worry about BMI. When I went to Depot I was 6’2, 290. I just carry a lot more muscle mass than the average person. It’s just one factor that gets looked at when you do your medical.

Also, seek better information for weight loss. 1200 calories isn’t enough and you’ll set yourself up for failure. It won’t be sustainable.

Also, keto diet is not the be all end all answer. It is not some special diet that makes you lose weight. It’s really just a pattern that makes it easier for people to stay on track.
K division.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:20 pm

Jon. wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:09 pm
Pete Broccolo wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:02 am
John014 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:46 pm
Don't worry, It is Saskatchewan and will probably snow again soon.
DON'T SAY THAT STUPID WORD!
Hey I worked there for 7 years, Saskatchewan isn't that bad Pete. ;)
Hey! We just got the streets rain-washed - do NOT jinx us about that semi-solid cold moisture!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
MPPAC & NPF supporter
Husband, Dad, F-I-L, & Grampa

MichaelVAP
Rookie Member

Postby MichaelVAP » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:42 pm

Hey,

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied. I really do appreciate all your responses.

I do plan to see a doctor this week and take a blood test, along with getting my immunization up to date.

Once I receive the results from the blood test and speak to a doctor I’m going to definitely bring up if doing a temporary Ketogenic diet is advisable and what he would recommend for me that may be lacking at the current moment.

From the fitness tracking app that also counts all calories, it shows I’m lacking in fibre and potassium currently, both which apparently assist in weight loss.

I will definitely keep a close eye on this thread and wish everyone the best of luck :) and I do agree I’m overweight and not at all offended by this either, I’m doing everything to lose weight and build muscle so that I may one day be an RCMP fit for duty and able to help the community.
ON App
March 9th 2019 - Applied online
April 2nd 2019 - RPAB
April 16th 2019 - S/P received
April 19th 2019 - OLISS sent
April 20th 2019 - S/P sent
June 5th 2019 - S/P approved
June 24th 2019 - Clerical Test

Patrickjrt3
Rookie Member

Postby Patrickjrt3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 pm

MichaelVAP wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:42 pm
Hey,

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied. I really do appreciate all your responses.

I do plan to see a doctor this week and take a blood test, along with getting my immunization up to date.

Once I receive the results from the blood test and speak to a doctor I’m going to definitely bring up if doing a temporary Ketogenic diet is advisable and what he would recommend for me that may be lacking at the current moment.

From the fitness tracking app that also counts all calories, it shows I’m lacking in fibre and potassium currently, both which apparently assist in weight loss.

I will definitely keep a close eye on this thread and wish everyone the best of luck :) and I do agree I’m overweight and not at all offended by this either, I’m doing everything to lose weight and build muscle so that I may one day be an RCMP fit for duty and able to help the community.
Four years ago, I was at 310lbs, 6’4”.

I’ve been in the process for a little bit over 2 years and I’m currently at 227.

I think you’re on the right track. I find that making the changes right away, and making them into habits really helps.

Set yourself S.M.A.R.T. goals, an you’ll see how fast things can change!

Keep up the good work!
App: Apr 18-2017
SP: Apr 27
RMAQ Int: Jun 9-2017
RMAQ Rec: Dec 12-2017
PEP: Feb 2-2018
PEP Rev: Mar 12-2018
PEP Rec: Mar 29-2018
BGI: Mar 29-2018
Psych: May 2-2018
Med: Jun 8-2018
Med Rec: Jul 9-2018
SC: Apr 4-2019
SLE: Apr 27-2019
Troop 21, Sep 23-2019

Applicant2018
Rookie Member

Postby Applicant2018 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello All,
A Manitoba applicant here finally. Lol. I got news that my security Cleearance passed 2 weeks ago. Anyone knows how far Depot is booked?
I applied in March 6, 2018. The wait is killing me.

Thanks.

langcam
Rookie Member

Postby langcam » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:26 pm

Applicant2018 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:39 pm
Hello All,
A Manitoba applicant here finally. Lol. I got news that my security Cleearance passed 2 weeks ago. Anyone knows how far Depot is booked?

Thanks.
I applied in June of 2017, just waiting on SC now. The wait will be worth it! Looks like a few people have recently received start dates closer to the end of the summer in this thread.

How long was your wait for SC?

Applicant2018
Rookie Member

Postby Applicant2018 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:31 pm

End of summer? Ohh my days! I was thinking I would be in Depot for May or June. Security Clearance took about a month for me.

livinthelife

Postby livinthelife » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Applicant2018 wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks.
Some people are priority hires, some people asked for 2 days notice, some asked for 3 months notice, and other don't care when. Oh yes, don't forget about people having life events jump up on them, and leaving with a month to go prior to start to fill by staffing. And lastly, they just get cold feet and not show up or cancell their offer on short notice.

Throw some wish bones at the oven next turkey dinner and they will tell you what your date will be. I hope it is comes up how you want!

JDB2018
Rookie Member

Postby JDB2018 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:47 pm

livinthelife wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:21 pm
Applicant2018 wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks.
Some people are priority hires, some people asked for 2 days notice, some asked for 3 months notice, and other don't care when. Oh yes, don't forget about people having life events jump up on them, and leaving with a month to go prior to start to fill by staffing. And lastly, they just get cold feet and not show up or cancell their offer on short notice.

Throw some wish bones at the oven next turkey dinner and they will tell you what your date will be. I hope it is comes up how you want!

I got my security clearance one day and offer the next. I had asked for two weeks notice and I got 15 days. I had expected the end of the summer according to everyone’s messages here but it does happen! Hope you get your call soon 😀
Oct 16 -Deff
July 17- Med Reinsertion
Oct 17- Med/Psych
Dec 17- F/up Psych
Feb 18- Med Cleared
Feb 18- Selection Pkg
Mar 18- RMAQ Interview
May 18- Poly
Jun 18- Poly Recommended
Aug 18- Suitability Recommended
April 19- Security Clearance
Troop- 5

Applicant2018
Rookie Member

Postby Applicant2018 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words, I will keep waiting. Best of luck mate!

Alex4594
Rookie Member

Postby Alex4594 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:13 pm

It’s been 36 days since my clearance issued and still I’m still waiting for my troop offer! I don’t know how they process it, but you can’t know how long you’ll wait that’s for sure.

Good luck!
QC applicant
Application - May 17th 2018
Selection Package - June 2018
RMAQ - August 2018
PEP - December 2018
PEP Rec - Jan 2019
Medical - Jan 2019
Psy : Feb 2019
Med Rec - March 2019
SC - March 2019
Troop - 16 - 2019-08-12