RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

VanSmack

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby VanSmack » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:57 pm

RDS9 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:16 pm
Hey Guys,

Just really started increasing my cardio recently but have been having issues with pain in my foot. Does anyone have experience or could share some ideas of managing plantar fasciitis?

Thanks in advance!
In addition to getting the right shoes, make sure you replace them regularly, after about 500 miles or so of running the midsole isn't doing as great a job providing support as it would have when you first got the shoes. If you're a bigger framed person you may find that you may need to replace more frequently, as the pounding from running compresses the foam in the midsole.

Stretching is also helpful, and while it's somewhat difficult to think of ways to stretch your arches, everything is connected, so stretching your ankles and lower legs do matter. Places like running room also have devices to help with arches, I use an accu-ball mini, which is about the size of a golf ball with tiny nubs on it to roll out my arches before and after longer runs. You could likely get away with using a golf ball, lacrosse ball or tennis ball if you're too cheap to drop the $15 for an accu-ball though.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

epeac895
Rookie Member

Postby epeac895 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm

redder wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:27 pm
RDS9 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Just really started increasing my cardio recently but have been having issues with pain in my foot. Does anyone have experience or could share some ideas of managing plantar fasciitis?

Thanks in advance!
I got fitted for the right kind of shoes and got insoles which have helped me a lot.
This X2! Go to a proper running shoe store like the running room. Stay away from sport chek if you’re experiencing issues. Get fitted and advice from actual runners not just random department store employees.
AB Applicant
App:02/08/18
RPAB:11/09/18
SP:07/11/18
RMAQ Rvw:18/12/18
PEP:12/01/19
PEP Apr:18/01/19
BGI:26/02/19
Med/Psych:28/02/19
Psych Int:10/05/19
Med approv:
FSR:06/03/19
SC:13/03/19
SC issued:
Troop:

Nursewifey
Rookie Member

Postby Nursewifey » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:32 pm

First time posting... Just curious how people received their troop offers? My husband got an email today from the recruiter asking to call her today to "discuss the application" and she asked for his number and when is best to contact him. (Unfortunately she left the office... Won't be able to reach her until Monday).
Currently only waiting for security clearance...
Just wondering if this is likely the big moment we have been waiting for?! (Troop offer discussion?..) or bad news?.. :S

joellykinz
Rookie Member

Postby joellykinz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:33 pm

epeac895 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm
redder wrote:
RDS9 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance!
I got fitted for the right kind of shoes and got insoles which have helped me a lot.
This X2! Go to a proper running shoe store like the running room. Stay away from sport chek if you’re experiencing issues. Get fitted and advice from actual runners not just random department store employees.

My brother and I are into ultra running, did a 50 k race in Canmore last fall. We both swear by the brand "Altra" I'd never use another shoe again. They have a large toe box and a zero drop heel, so it's really good for the feet! I have the Altra superiors, a great trail running shoes. you can find them at MEC or online. Hope this helps!
Applied-2017/09
RPAB-18/03/20
SP Received-18/04/4
SP Sent-18/04/18
SPR-18/05/22
RMAQ R-18/06/2
PEP-18/09/31
PEP REC-18/09/9
BGI-18/11/7
MED-18/11/22
Psych-18/11/23
FSR REC-18/11/26
MED REC-19/03/7
SCI-18/11/26
SC REC-19/04/9
Troop Offer- Sept 2!

RDS9
Rookie Member

Postby RDS9 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:11 pm

joellykinz wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:33 pm
epeac895 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm
redder wrote:

My brother and I are into ultra running, did a 50 k race in Canmore last fall. We both swear by the brand "Altra" I'd never use another shoe again. They have a large toe box and a zero drop heel, so it's really good for the feet! I have the Altra superiors, a great trail running shoes. you can find them at MEC or online. Hope this helps!
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the advice!

redder

Postby redder » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Nursewifey wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:32 pm
First time posting... Just curious how people received their troop offers? My husband got an email today from the recruiter asking to call her today to "discuss the application" and she asked for his number and when is best to contact him. (Unfortunately she left the office... Won't be able to reach her until Monday).
Currently only waiting for security clearance...
Just wondering if this is likely the big moment we have been waiting for?! (Troop offer discussion?..) or bad news?.. :S
Most often they'll call you when they are ready to give you an offer, however, most people these days seem to be getting their security clearance and then waiting a few weeks before getting an offer. It could honestly be that there's just a quick question in regards to something - ie: I had a quick phone call in regards to some dates after my PEP and it was nothing to sweat about.
AB Applicant

Troop #4: 2019/04/29

Harman
Rookie Member

Postby Harman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:28 pm

I did PEP few days back & got medical request next day. Also have to advise troop joining time frame. From what I read it takes few weeks after PEP to hear anything back but I got update within 12hrs. what will be next step after medical ? Does anyone know What % people don’t make it after depot training? Thanks

OTDepot2
Rookie Member

Postby OTDepot2 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:31 pm

If you want to wear winter boots in your spare time yes (I just wear hiking boots). But as far as your issued gear they will supply boots to wear
hdeo123 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm
Hi all,

I’m heading to Depot in less than 2 weeks. Do I need to bring winter boots?

Thanks in advance.

amafit93
Rookie Member

Joining RCMP, am I eligible?

Postby amafit93 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi all, thank you for taking your time to look over this post.

I am a little excited and a bit anxious/scared about my RCMP enrollment. A little about myself, I graduated from High school back in 2011, my average grades were 65%-70%. I know I could've done better but I failed myself, no excuses. I haven't gone to Post Secondary or done any reading in a long time. It was full time job right after high school. Retail manager, Security in health care, mall and corporate.

Reality finally hit me this year (2019), now that I have a family and working 7 days a week on a Security job which is going no where. I want a career and do something I love which aligns well with my Security profession, Law enforcement, specifically the RCMP. So, I finally mustered up the courage to apply for RCMP last week and received an automated mail regarding application information for the RCMP entrance Exam in the next 14 days. I quickly went online and got myself the BARRON's Canadian Police Officer Exams book and trying my best to study as much as possible.

I've schemed through the pages and its brain triggering. Any suggestions for the below is highly appreciated.

1. Tips on studying more effectively?
2. How to organize your time?
3. How long should each study session be?
4. Is the exam similar to the questions in the book?
5. How to concentrate more?

I read the forums and there are many qualified candidates with minimum diploma and some degree holders applying for RCMP. I feel I am not qualified to apply for RCMP but I am trying my best everyday to improve, example, typing out 100 words with definitions from the dictionary and reading them out in the morning, listening to audibles, reading the news via phone, practice policing terminology, got my OFA 2 and AST out of my own pocket. Does anyone knows how successful one can one be without diplomas and degrees?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading all the way down my rant. Thank you for your time.

hdeo123

Postby hdeo123 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:12 pm

OTDepot2 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:31 pm
If you want to wear winter boots in your spare time yes (I just wear hiking boots). But as far as your issued gear they will supply boots to wear
hdeo123 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm
Hi all,

I’m heading to Depot in less than 2 weeks. Do I need to bring winter boots?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you

Caleb10
Veteran Member

Postby Caleb10 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:04 am

Harman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:28 pm
I did PEP few days back & got medical request next day. Also have to advise troop joining time frame. From what I read it takes few weeks after PEP to hear anything back but I got update within 12hrs. what will be next step after medical ? Does anyone know What % people don’t make it after depot training? Thanks
Why does it matter who makes it or not after depot? Having a relationship with a source and tampering with evidence will deff screw you. Besides that, you can make so many mistakes that other members have made before you and will still have a job in the end. I make mistakes all the time but can sit back and laugh at them.
Constable - B Division
April 2018 - Troop 4

Craigeritz
Veteran Member

Postby Craigeritz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:01 am

Caleb10 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:04 am
Harman wrote:
Why does it matter who makes it or not after depot? Having a relationship with a source and tampering with evidence will deff screw you. Besides that, you can make so many mistakes that other members have made before you and will still have a job in the end. I make mistakes all the time but can sit back and laugh at them.

Not to mention all the individuals who quit by their own volition.
I doubt anyone here has an accurate number for what you're asking.
AB
PRK surgery: 8/11/2016
Online Application: 11/17/2016
SP: 1/13//2017
RMAQ: 8/28/2017
PEP: 1/09/2018
PEP review call: 1/17/18
PEP rec: 3/13/18
PSYCH: 3/19/18
MED: 4/6/18-- 6/11/18
BGI: 3/19/18
FSR: 4/9/2018- 6/4/18
SC: 6/4/18- --8/8/2018
Troop 16

Harman
Rookie Member

Postby Harman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:08 am

Caleb10 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:04 am
Harman wrote:
[/quote

Thanks mate & do share if any tips on pare ! That’s keeping me awake at nights 😃

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Postby Leeworthy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 am

so, on the topic of shoes, are you limited to a certain colour at depot, or are you free to wear any colour? I know we use to get issued runners at one point in the CF and then with everyones foot being different and cost saving measures they started allowing people to just buy and wear whatever they wanted that made their feet comfortable.
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Re: Joining RCMP, am I eligible?

Postby Leeworthy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:06 am

Many before you and many after you will continue to be hired and be competitive to the RCMP without a degree. I am not an officer or in any way affiliated with any policing agency, but I know of many officers in both Provincial and Federal policing who have only a high school diploma and they are doing just fine.

Continue to improve yourself with whatever means you find rewarding and apply yourself through the hiring stage and anywhere thereafter. Show the RCMP that they would be lucky to have you and you would be an asset to the organization.

It's not about who is the smartest and who is the strongest, it's about who is the right fit for the RCMP. Keep studying and applying yourself. We can't tell you what is on the exam, but I can tell you, that if you study the material available on the RCMP site as well as in the books (they are there for a reason) and you can sucessfully pass the tests that are provided you should do fine in passing the RPAB.

Just an FYI, head on over to the Applicants thread, give that a thorough reading (should take you a few days) and then, if you have questions that haven't been answered by the over 2000+ pages (which I doubt) at that point ask what you require.

Good luck.

Dave,
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18