RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Shawshank

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Shawshank » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:16 am

jordan442 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm
In regard to listing all of my immediate family, is EVERY family member required?

My mom alone has 12 siblings (therefore I have a huge amount of family members through her), however 75% of them I have no memory of ever even meeting them before in my life, and such I have not had any contact or have really any knowledge about them. I don't even know all of their names.

Would I just put down as much as I know or would I have to go and try to dig up as much information as I can?
I had something similar for my own siblings, one I haven’t met. So I put down their name and wrote unknown for the rest of the info and explained the situation.

One address for a sibling I wrote down as a penitentiary cause I knew that’s where he was staying for the time being.
K division.

brandonq
Rookie Member

Postby brandonq » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:41 am

jordan442 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:25 am
Silvaticus wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:20 pm
jordan442 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm
In regard to listing all of my immediate family, is EVERY family member required?

My mom alone has 12 siblings (therefore I have a huge amount of family members through her), however 75% of them I have no memory of ever even meeting them before in my life, and such I have not had any contact or have really any knowledge about them. I don't even know all of their names.

Would I just put down as much as I know or would I have to go and try to dig up as much information as I can?
You should go and actually read the instructions that go along with filling out the forms.

I did
I would take another look because you don’t have to list aunts and uncles or cousins etc
Last edited by brandonq on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jordan442
Rookie Member

Postby jordan442 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:56 pm

brandonq wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:41 am
jordan442 wrote:
Silvaticus wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:20 pm

You should go and actually read the instructions that go along with filling out the forms.

I did
I would take another look because you don’t have to list aunts and uncles or cousins etc

Oh really? hmm. I looked up what "immediate family" meant and all definitions I found included aunts/uncles.

Silvaticus
Rookie Member

Postby Silvaticus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:04 pm

jordan442 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:56 pm
brandonq wrote:
jordan442 wrote:

I did

Oh really? hmm. I looked up what "immediate family" meant and all definitions I found included aunts/uncles.
Attention to detail, reading comprehension, and finding information is a big part of the job you are applying for.

What they want for "Immediate family" is defined exactly in the instructions provided at the end of the forms. I seriously doubt recruiting is going to be impressed when you send them the information on your mother's 12 siblings. :dubious:
RCMP SK APP
Online App 16/05/2019
S/P Sent 06/06/2019
RMAQ 09/10/2019
RFI 16/10/2019
BGI 28/10/2019
PEP 26/11/2019
PEP Rec 02/12/2019
Med/Psych 29/01/2020
Med Cleared 05/02/2020
Sec start 05/02/2020

jordan442
Rookie Member

Postby jordan442 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Silvaticus wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:04 pm
jordan442 wrote:
brandonq wrote:

Attention to detail, reading comprehension, and finding information is a big part of the job you are applying for.

What they want for "Immediate family" is defined exactly in the instructions provided at the end of the forms. I seriously doubt recruiting is going to be impressed when you send them the information on your mother's 12 siblings. :dubious:

brandonq
Rookie Member

Postby brandonq » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:48 pm

jordan442 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:27 pm
Silvaticus wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:04 pm
jordan442 wrote:

Best of luck!

Merlyn1980
Rookie Member

Postby Merlyn1980 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Got the Golden Call!! Offered Troop #17 today!! (24 Aug - 1 Mar 2021)

I have to do a six month release from the CAF if anyone is wondering why it's so far away, but that just means plenty of time for extra fitness and money saving. :D :D :D
Last edited by Merlyn1980 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troop #17: Aug 24th, 2020???

DanyD92

Postby DanyD92 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Merlyn1980 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm
Got offered Troop #17 today!! (24 Aug - 1 Mar 2021)

I have to do a six month release from the CAF if anyone is wondering why it's so far away, but that just means plenty of time for extra fitness and money saving. :D :D :D
Congrats man 💪💪
BC
App:23/9/18
RPAB:28/11/18
SP submitted:20/12/18
Quality Assurance:15/01/19
RMAQ Rec:16/07/19
RFI: 25/07/19
Field investigation:6/08/19
PEP:15/09/19
PEP Rec:01/10/19
Med:03/10/19
Psych:16/10/19
Final med:25/10/19
Medical Clearance: 16/01/20
SC:
Troop:

SunnyBocephus
Rookie Member

Postby SunnyBocephus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Merlyn1980 wrote:

This is a perfect example as to why the RCMP should allow candidates who dont meet the vision standards, but do qualify for laser eye surgery, apply for the process to determine competitiveness, before committing to elective surgery.

If a candidate was to get a conditional offer and depot is scheduled for 6 months later, I dont understand why the RCMP wont budge on this rule.

I understand applicants from the NWT, Yukon and Nunavet do not require their form 2180 (vision standard forms) prior to applying. This should be standard across the country. Heck, I'd even pay to go through the process prior to getting elective eye surgery.
CBSA
Applied: February 2019
OTEE: Pass March 2019
Interview: September 2019

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:03 pm

SunnyBocephus wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Merlyn1980 wrote:

This is a perfect example as to why the RCMP should allow candidates who dont meet the vision standards, but do qualify for laser eye surgery, apply for the process to determine competitiveness, before committing to elective surgery.

If a candidate was to get a conditional offer and depot is scheduled for 6 months later, I dont understand why the RCMP wont budge on this rule.

I understand applicants from the NWT, Yukon and Nunavet do not require their form 2180 (vision standard forms) prior to applying. This should be standard across the country. Heck, I'd even pay to go through the process prior to getting elective eye surgery.
As someone who has followed the steps to apply (including getting LASIK) I can't say I agree with you. The COEs are in place for a reason, I don't pretend to know the reason, but it is there. It is literally one of the first steps to apply (meeting minimum standards). I realize that it's a large cost, because I paid $4500 for it, but I did that because I wanted to apply to the RCMP... I don't understand what's hard about that decision. If you don't want to do what they require to apply for the job, then don't apply. It's simple. I was willing to take on a relatively small financial burden to apply, and several hundered other people were as well, so you aren't going to get much in the way of sympathy I'm afraid.

I also feel that LASIK has been a huge boost to my quality of life. It's not the same for everyone, but for me, it's only been positive. Just my perspective.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 (2020-05-04-2020-11-02)

Steelcity94
Rookie Member

Postby Steelcity94 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Merlyn1980 wrote:

Congrats Merlyn!
The schedule for the new fiscal year must have just been released! I got my clearance 2 weeks ago and was just waiting for the troop dates post April 01 to be confirmed.
Troop 4 2020

Ubique155
Rookie Member

Postby Ubique155 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:20 pm

I'm very happy with how things have been moving along in the new year. I have a suitability interview coming up and Regina has done a great job keeping me updated by email. It's still a somewhat opaque process but the communication is much better than the CAF.

I suppose I'll dig up my service records so I can answer any questions about my time in the CAF. Can anyone comment on the questions related to Section 3 of the 1980e, "Service / Application History With Armed Forces and Law Enforcement" ? Are they looking for general dates of service and conditions of release or should I have postings and tour dates ready for the interview?

SunnyBocephus
Rookie Member

Postby SunnyBocephus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:32 pm

cbmcmsa wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:03 pm
SunnyBocephus wrote:
Merlyn1980 wrote:

As someone who has followed the steps to apply (including getting LASIK) I can't say I agree with you. The COEs are in place for a reason, I don't pretend to know the reason, but it is there. It is literally one of the first steps to apply (meeting minimum standards). I realize that it's a large cost, because I paid $4500 for it, but I did that because I wanted to apply to the RCMP... I don't understand what's hard about that decision. If you don't want to do what they require to apply for the job, then don't apply. It's simple. I was willing to take on a relatively small financial burden to apply, and several hundered other people were as well, so you aren't going to get much in the way of sympathy I'm afraid.

I also feel that LASIK has been a huge boost to my quality of life. It's not the same for everyone, but for me, it's only been positive. Just my perspective.
It is not about the cost, but the risks that are associated with laser eye surgery. No elective surgery is without risks, but I would take on these risks if I was given a conditional offer from the force.

My biggest fear and worse case scenario would be getting the surgery, having an adverse symptom like dry eye, and not getting an offer for the RCMP. Boy, I'd be really upset with myself.

I guess that's where I am coming from.

Thank you for taking the time to write.
CBSA
Applied: February 2019
OTEE: Pass March 2019
Interview: September 2019

cbmcmsa

Postby cbmcmsa » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:40 pm

SunnyBocephus wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:32 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
SunnyBocephus wrote:

It is not about the cost, but the risks that are associated with laser eye surgery. No elective surgery is without risks, but I would take on these risks if I was given a conditional offer from the force.

My biggest fear and worse case scenario would be getting the surgery, having an adverse symptom like dry eye, and not getting an offer for the RCMP. Boy, I'd be really upset with myself.

I understand that, but nothing in life is without risk. What's to say the CBSA application doesn't pan out? What's to say it does, you go to Rigaud for 125/week and fail your final scenario and get sent home? My point only is, if you really want something, you're going to do what is required to make it happen. And if one deferral is going to put you off of a certain agency/career path, this might not be the place for you.

To the point about adverse symptoms, the technology and methods have come soooooooo far in the last decade, let alone 2. Things like dry eye can be accounted for and helped/fixed. Obviously every surgery has it's risk, but that risk factor has nose dived in the last 10 years. Anything can happen, but anything can happen in life too. Thousands of people every year apply for these jobs/get these surgeries and only time can tell what the end result will be, but you won't know until you do or don't do it.
Former SBSO (CBSA)
App-08/18
RPAB-09/18
SP-11/18
Suitability-12/18
RMAQ-02/19
RFI-03/19
PEP-05/19
Med/Psych-05/19
Med/Psych Rec-06/19
Sec Clearance-07/19
Sec Clearance Rec-03/20
Troop Offer-March 10, 2020
Troop#4 (2020-05-04-2020-11-02)

jordan442
Rookie Member

Postby jordan442 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:12 pm

SunnyBocephus wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:32 pm
cbmcmsa wrote:
SunnyBocephus wrote:

I had these same fears before I got my eye surgery done, but I still consider it the best thing I spent money on.

I opted for PRK over LASIK, just because I trusted PRK more because it's "older" and thus has more long term post-surgery studies done and doesn't come with some of the same risks that LASIK does , such as the risk of the "flap" lasik creates getting knocked out with a strong enough impact. The kicker is the recovery time is much longer (A few weeks compared to basically no recovery time with lasik)

Either way you go, both procedures have come a long way and any side effects beyond mild ones are very rare.