RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
The3wood
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby The3wood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:38 pm

asid wrote:Oh I see........thanks.

Anytime!
NL APPLICANT
RPAB - NOV 2015
SP - JAN 2016
RMAQ - FEB 2016
RMSI - MAR 2016
PEP - APR 2016
PEP REC - JUNE 2016
PARE - depot
BGI - JUNE 2016
PSYCH - JUNE 2016
MED - JULY 2016
MED CLEARED - JULY 2016
SC - SEPT 2016
Troop #19, Oct. 17th

The3wood
Rookie Member

Postby The3wood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Hey JYD!!

Have anymore progress on your BGI today? I'm sure your phone will be buzzing like crazy as your contacts get called. lol
NL APPLICANT
RPAB - NOV 2015
SP - JAN 2016
RMAQ - FEB 2016
RMSI - MAR 2016
PEP - APR 2016
PEP REC - JUNE 2016
PARE - depot
BGI - JUNE 2016
PSYCH - JUNE 2016
MED - JULY 2016
MED CLEARED - JULY 2016
SC - SEPT 2016
Troop #19, Oct. 17th

McCulkin
Rookie Member

Postby McCulkin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi!

I'm new here, but I've been following this thread when I first started the recruiting process back in 2015. All went well enough until today. I don't know where to post this, so forgive me if it's not the place to do so, but here I go:

I just received a mail telling me that my application was deferred for a year and a half. After reading the mail over and over again, I was astonished : it's said that some of my behaviors and activities wouldn't do well within the RCMP. After that sentence, it's written that during the recruitment process, they noted that I did "drink a lot of alcohol and then drive my car". As a matter of fact, during the PEP, I told the examiner that on December 31 2015, I did actually drink 5 or 6 drinks and drove 4 hours after having my last drink... and that the same thing happened on June 23 2015, albeit with lesser alcohol involved. He then told me that in his opinion, I was probably driving under the effects of alcohol and that it was a crime.

Thing is: I'm a 240 pounds guy! According to both blood alcohol concentration (BAC) charts we can find here from official sources and my exprience with different breathalyzers, after a drinks within a 5 hours time lapse, I rarely am at something more than 30 or 40 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood which is well within the legal limit.

I totally understand that the RCMP doesn't want officers who act without concerns for everybody else, and I don't want to complain, but being deferred because I did drink and drive once since the recruitment process seems a bit of a stretch, especially when I most probably was within the legal limit.

Is there any kind of appeal or is it dead? That's the only reason that is written in the letter.

Thanks for your help!

The3wood
Rookie Member

Postby The3wood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:03 pm

McCulkin wrote:Hi!

I'm new here, but I've been following this thread when I first started the recruiting process back in 2015. All went well enough until today. I don't know where to post this, so forgive me if it's not the place to do so, but here I go:

I just received a mail telling me that my application was deferred for a year and a half. After reading the mail over and over again, I was astonished : it's said that some of my behaviors and activities wouldn't do well within the RCMP. After that sentence, it's written that during the recruitment process, they noted that I did "drink a lot of alcohol and then drive my car". As a matter of fact, during the PEP, I told the examiner that on December 31 2015, I did actually drink 5 or 6 drinks and drove 4 hours after having my last drink... and that the same thing happened on June 23 2015, albeit with lesser alcohol involved. He then told me that in his opinion, I was probably driving under the effects of alcohol and that it was a crime.

Thing is: I'm a 240 pounds guy! According to both blood alcohol concentration (BAC) charts we can find here from official sources and my exprience with different breathalyzers, after a drinks within a 5 hours time lapse, I rarely am at something more than 30 or 40 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood which is well within the legal limit.

I totally understand that the RCMP doesn't want officers who act without concerns for everybody else, and I don't want to complain, but being deferred because I did drink and drive once since the recruitment process seems a bit of a stretch, especially when I most probably was within the legal limit.

Is there any kind of appeal or is it dead? That's the only reason that is written in the letter.

Thanks for your help!

Hey,

Sorry to hear you were deferred. And yes there is an appeals process. Probably best to contact your FC and ask them how to go about it, or you can go to the "ASK A RECRUITER" board and ask Caroline.

This is from the website.

To apply as a police officer, you must not have:

Participated in any criminal behavior or activity – whether you have been arrested and/or charged or not – within at least one (1) year of the date of application. ◦Criminal behaviors and activities include, but are not limited to, non-medical drug/steroids use, theft, prostitution, solicitation for the purpose of prostitution, assault, and impaired driving

During the application process, you must not:

Participate in any criminal behavior or activity – whether you have been arrested and/or charged or not – in Canada or abroad. ◦Criminal behaviors and activities include, but are not limited to, non-medical drug/steroids use, theft, prostitution, solicitation for the purpose of prostitution, assault, and impaired driving.
NL APPLICANT
RPAB - NOV 2015
SP - JAN 2016
RMAQ - FEB 2016
RMSI - MAR 2016
PEP - APR 2016
PEP REC - JUNE 2016
PARE - depot
BGI - JUNE 2016
PSYCH - JUNE 2016
MED - JULY 2016
MED CLEARED - JULY 2016
SC - SEPT 2016
Troop #19, Oct. 17th

KaterGator
Rookie Member

Postby KaterGator » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:04 pm

McCulkin wrote:Hi!

Thanks for your help!

The link for appeals is:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/process-re ... nd-appeals

I know it's tough to swallow, but it's so important to not only follow the law, but uphold the spirit of the law prior to and during your application process. Best of luck moving forward with your appeal if you go that route, otherwise lesson learned for your next application..
ON Applicant
REINSERTION NOTICE: 10-JUN-16
REC'D SP: 16-JUN-16
SP SENT: 21-JUN-16
RMAQ: 05-DEC-16
PEP:
PEP REC:
BGI -
PSYCH/MED -
SUIT -
SC -
TROOP -

McCulkin
Rookie Member

Postby McCulkin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:07 pm

The3wood wrote:Hey,

Sorry to hear you were deferred. And yes there is an appeals process. Probably best to contact your FC and ask them how to go about it, or you can go to the "ASK A RECRUITER" board and ask Caroline.

Thanks for your answer. Sadly, it is said in the letter that I cannot contact my FC anymore. So I guess I should try with Caroline.

Thanks again,

McCulkin
Rookie Member

Postby McCulkin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:21 pm

KaterGator wrote:The link for appeals is:

I know it's tough to swallow, but it's so important to not only follow the law, but uphold the spirit of the law prior to and during your application process. Best of luck moving forward with your appeal if you go that route, otherwise lesson learned for your next application..

Well, I totally understand that... but the thing is I'm a 240 pounds guy but do not look like it (I may look like a 180 pounds guy at most). I can tolerate alcohol pretty well (been drinking 750 ml rhum and vodka bottles without losing consciousness back in the days... but yeah, that was pretty stupid) and according to charts, at my weight, after 5 drinks, I'm just a wee bit over the 80 mg point. However, after 4 hours of waiting time, my liver can get rid of most leaving me with 20 or 30 mg (if we follow the 15 mg per hour baseline). Sure, it's my choice to drive with that amount of alcohol, but considering my weight, it clearly isn't a crime unless I'm exhausted and sleepy. I've been in a couple of alcohol "controls" in the past after drinking the same amount of alcohol and police officers never deemed necessary to test me with a breathanalyzer. That's what I based my current behavior on and thought that it was totally acceptable.

Anyway... Thanks for your answer! ;)

KaterGator
Rookie Member

Postby KaterGator » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:42 pm

McCulkin wrote:
KaterGator wrote:The link for appeals is:

Well, I totally understand that... but the thing is I'm a 240 pounds guy but do not look like it (I may look like a 180 pounds guy at most). I can tolerate alcohol pretty well (been drinking 750 ml rhum and vodka bottles without losing consciousness back in the days... but yeah, that was pretty stupid) and according to charts, at my weight, after 5 drinks, I'm just a wee bit over the 80 mg point. However, after 4 hours of waiting time, my liver can get rid of most leaving me with 20 or 30 mg (if we follow the 15 mg per hour baseline). Sure, it's my choice to drive with that amount of alcohol, but considering my weight, it clearly isn't a crime unless I'm exhausted and sleepy. I've been in a couple of alcohol "controls" in the past after drinking the same amount of alcohol and police officers never deemed necessary to test me with a breathanalyzer. That's what I based my current behavior on and thought that it was totally acceptable.

Anyway... Thanks for your answer! ;)

I see what you're saying, was just offering up my thoughts from what I've learned along my process and from others on this forum. All the best.
ON Applicant
REINSERTION NOTICE: 10-JUN-16
REC'D SP: 16-JUN-16
SP SENT: 21-JUN-16
RMAQ: 05-DEC-16
PEP:
PEP REC:
BGI -
PSYCH/MED -
SUIT -
SC -
TROOP -

Racer_2
Rookie Member

Postby Racer_2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:06 pm

They might see a pattern in that and not exactly something illegal. I see more the .08 limit as a legal one than an ethic one. Unless you have a breathalizer with you, it's hard to guess when you are that near to the limit. The best is to appeal like the others said.

On the other hand, at 240 you must have a massive muscular build depending your height though! You surely don't have a marathon build shape. :P
QC Applicant CBSA
Applied - Jan 15th 2018
SLE - Done already
GTC2 & WCPT - Feb 18
PARE - April 18
Interview - May 18
Sec. Forms - May 18
Psych - May 18
Medical - June 18
Sec. Int - November 18
OITP - February 18th 2019
Rigaud 13D - April 8th 2019

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:23 pm

The3wood wrote:Hey JYD!!

Have anymore progress on your BGI today? I'm sure your phone will be buzzing like crazy as your contacts get called. lol

Funny story (not actually funny), I dropped my phone in the toilet this morning so I have no idea if anyone has been contacted today. Only one other reference, that I know of, was contacted yesterday. Hoping the investigator has all the info he needs so he can wrap up the BGI and move it on to Final Review!

The3wood
Rookie Member

Postby The3wood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:51 pm

JunkyardDog wrote:

Funny story (not actually funny), I dropped my phone in the toilet this morning so I have no idea if anyone has been contacted today. Only one other reference, that I know of, was contacted yesterday. Hoping the investigator has all the info he needs so he can wrap up the BGI and move it on to Final Review!

No way!!!! Lol the irony of it all! Final have that feeling of excitement that you know your BGI is started and then that happens!! I'd say they have everything, I don't think they would send it in if not! Hopefully it doesn't take very long for them to finish it!
NL APPLICANT
RPAB - NOV 2015
SP - JAN 2016
RMAQ - FEB 2016
RMSI - MAR 2016
PEP - APR 2016
PEP REC - JUNE 2016
PARE - depot
BGI - JUNE 2016
PSYCH - JUNE 2016
MED - JULY 2016
MED CLEARED - JULY 2016
SC - SEPT 2016
Troop #19, Oct. 17th

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:49 pm

The3wood wrote:
JunkyardDog wrote:

No way!!!! Lol the irony of it all! Final have that feeling of excitement that you know your BGI is started and then that happens!! I'd say they have everything, I don't think they would send it in if not! Hopefully it doesn't take very long for them to finish it!

Of course the one day I don't have a phone, I return home to find out I have two missed calls on my landline that lead back to the voicemail of a member. Waiting to give him another call tomorrow morning should make for an interesting night.

The3wood
Rookie Member

Postby The3wood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:56 pm

I'd say they called to confirm something! I know i had some old places of employment on mine that are no longer in business and it was so long ago I couldn't get all the info! But I had to put it there because I had to fill the gap between finishing my education and my employment now! I'm sure it's normal for them to call and nothing to worry about! :thumbsup:
NL APPLICANT
RPAB - NOV 2015
SP - JAN 2016
RMAQ - FEB 2016
RMSI - MAR 2016
PEP - APR 2016
PEP REC - JUNE 2016
PARE - depot
BGI - JUNE 2016
PSYCH - JUNE 2016
MED - JULY 2016
MED CLEARED - JULY 2016
SC - SEPT 2016
Troop #19, Oct. 17th

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:34 am

The3wood wrote:I'd say they called to confirm something! I know i had some old places of employment on mine that are no longer in business and it was so long ago I couldn't get all the info! But I had to put it there because I had to fill the gap between finishing my education and my employment now! I'm sure it's normal for them to call and nothing to worry about! :thumbsup:

As it turns out, it was just a quality control call from Health Services in Ottawa. They were calling to confirm the dates I had my medical and lab work done.

The3wood
Rookie Member

Postby The3wood » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:39 am

JunkyardDog wrote:
The3wood wrote:I'd say they called to confirm something! I know i had some old places of employment on mine that are no longer in business and it was so long ago I couldn't get all the info! But I had to put it there because I had to fill the gap between finishing my education and my employment now! I'm sure it's normal for them to call and nothing to worry about! :thumbsup:

As it turns out, it was just a quality control call from Health Services in Ottawa. They were calling to confirm the dates I had my medical and lab work done.

Oh perfect! Did you get that phone fixed? lol
NL APPLICANT
RPAB - NOV 2015
SP - JAN 2016
RMAQ - FEB 2016
RMSI - MAR 2016
PEP - APR 2016
PEP REC - JUNE 2016
PARE - depot
BGI - JUNE 2016
PSYCH - JUNE 2016
MED - JULY 2016