RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
dpgholi
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby dpgholi » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:44 pm

VanSmack wrote:

It's not "the Depot," it's just "Depot."


Oops my bad.

Original post has been amended.
MB Applicant
Online App: 2016/10/19
RPAB: 2016/11/19
SP: 2016/12/07
SP Sent: 2016/12/17
RMAQ Review:
PEP:
PEP REC:
BGI:
PSYCH/MED:
SUIT:
SC:
TROOP:

User avatar
Shawshank
Regular Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Shawshank » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:28 pm

baconman91 wrote:Greetings Fellow RCMP Applicants,

Just a question for anyone that may have some insight.

Is anyone from O division waiting what seems to be an extended period of time for their Security Clearance to be issued?

I have completed all the steps prior and my recruiter has stated if I'm issued security clearance I will be offered a position within a Troop. Currently I've been waiting what is soon to be 3 months for this Clearance to be issued. Does anyone have a similar time line to compare? I understand it is case by case but any insight is welcomed!

Thanks for the help!


This is going to sound like a dick thing, but it's not meant to be, just direct.

You're not in O division or any division. You're an applicant in Ontario. You have to earn your way into a division though the application process, passing Depot, and being assigned.
K division.

Rialto
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Rialto » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:22 am

I just wanted to vent.

Of course the ePost website is down the night that I want to send my documents. lol.

Fingers crossed its back up and running tomorrow! <3
RCMP
SP 2012 closed my file
Reinstated: May 23/16
SP: Aug.15
RMAI: Aug. 23
PEP: Oct 11
BGI: Feb 28
Med: Mar 28
Psy: May 2
DEPOT: July - October. (Sent home due to a knee injury)

Sunrise
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:53 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP - Depot

Postby Sunrise » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:42 am

Gatsy92 wrote:
stribor45 wrote:Has anyone been accepted to Depot but for one reason or another had to leave?
I am curious to find what have you found challenging during the months that you have been there?

Thanks :)

Well lost one at 4 weeks in and our little brother troop lost one at less than a week in. Biggest thing I find is for not being able to cope with being away from family. That's what those two people left for


I feel like it's easy for me to criticize them as I've never actually flocked the nest myself, but damn. All that hard work just to get there and you quit because you're homesick.

I don't know why but that guy in the Depot episode of CourageInRed kind of frustrated me. He applied, got in, and left in the first week because he couldn't handle being away from his family. Six years later, he applies again, gets in, and then leaves in the first week again for the exact same reason. I guess it's something I won't understand until I actually get there, but at the present moment as just a young applicant I'm actually excited at the prospect of living away from family for half a year.

I find it to be a neat opportunity that the RCMP offers, especially for young prospective officers. I'm pretty mature myself but I feel that if I was in a situation where I couldn't handle living alone during training then I'm not mature enough for police work. Especially RCMP police work that could leave you in any corner of this great and vast country. Let's just hope none of this sudden onset homesickness business decides to strike me if I get to Depot.

R.Schnare
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP - Depot

Postby R.Schnare » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:33 am

Sunrise wrote:I feel like it's easy for me to criticize them as I've never actually flocked the nest myself, but damn. All that hard work just to get there and you quit because you're homesick.

I don't know why but that guy in the Depot episode of CourageInRed kind of frustrated me. He applied, got in, and left in the first week because he couldn't handle being away from his family. Six years later, he applies again, gets in, and then leaves in the first week again for the exact same reason. I guess it's something I won't understand until I actually get there, but at the present moment as just a young applicant I'm actually excited at the prospect of living away from family for half a year.

I find it to be a neat opportunity that the RCMP offers, especially for young prospective officers. I'm pretty mature myself but I feel that if I was in a situation where I couldn't handle living alone during training then I'm not mature enough for police work. Especially RCMP police work that could leave you in any corner of this great and vast country. Let's just hope none of this sudden onset homesickness business decides to strike me if I get to Depot.



I know for me the biggest thing will be leaving my son for the 6 month period, just because toddlers, and all kids in general, grow up so quickly in such a short amount of time and the thought of missing out on that chunk of his life sucks. But at the same time I know after all the training it'll be worth it.

For those leaving home for the first time it'll have a pretty big impact, just have to keep plugging away and know that you WILL get to see your family again...even if you likely won't get a posting nearby. You get excellent training for a great career and you may have the opportunity to see the whole country if that's what you want.

baconman91
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:16 am
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby baconman91 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:27 am

Shawshank wrote:
baconman91 wrote:Greetings Fellow RCMP Applicants,

Just a question for anyone that may have some insight.

Is anyone from O division waiting what seems to be an extended period of time for their Security Clearance to be issued?

I have completed all the steps prior and my recruiter has stated if I'm issued security clearance I will be offered a position within a Troop. Currently I've been waiting what is soon to be 3 months for this Clearance to be issued. Does anyone have a similar time line to compare? I understand it is case by case but any insight is welcomed!

Thanks for the help!


This is going to sound like a dick thing, but it's not meant to be, just direct.

You're not in O division or any division. You're an applicant in Ontario. You have to earn your way into a division though the application process, passing Depot, and being assigned.



Thanks for clarification I was under the wrong impression as to what O Division meant.
CO2 MCSC

oldunclehue
Seasoned Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:27 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP - Depot

Postby oldunclehue » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:40 am

Sunrise wrote:
Gatsy92 wrote:
stribor45 wrote:Has anyone been accepted to Depot but for one reason or another had to leave?
I am curious to find what have you found challenging during the months that you have been there?

Thanks :)

Well lost one at 4 weeks in and our little brother troop lost one at less than a week in. Biggest thing I find is for not being able to cope with being away from family. That's what those two people left for


I feel like it's easy for me to criticize them as I've never actually flocked the nest myself, but damn. All that hard work just to get there and you quit because you're homesick.

I don't know why but that guy in the Depot episode of CourageInRed kind of frustrated me. He applied, got in, and left in the first week because he couldn't handle being away from his family. Six years later, he applies again, gets in, and then leaves in the first week again for the exact same reason. I guess it's something I won't understand until I actually get there, but at the present moment as just a young applicant I'm actually excited at the prospect of living away from family for half a year.

I find it to be a neat opportunity that the RCMP offers, especially for young prospective officers. I'm pretty mature myself but I feel that if I was in a situation where I couldn't handle living alone during training then I'm not mature enough for police work. Especially RCMP police work that could leave you in any corner of this great and vast country. Let's just hope none of this sudden onset homesickness business decides to strike me if I get to Depot.


You will be leaving your family for a lot longer than 6 months. No one ever goes back to their home town, and for some that hits them when they get to Depot, realizing if they continue it they will have to move....ten years ago I don't remember ever hearing about anyone leaving due to home sickness, but it likely happened. My troop didn't lose anyone but we were a very strong group together and made sure people stayed when things were rough at home.

And who cares if people say which "division" they are in right now as applicants. You are applying out of that division and dealing with that division, so it doesn't matter what you say! Don't worry what guys on here tell you! If you applied in Ontario you are out of O div!!

User avatar
Shawshank
Regular Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: RCMP - Depot

Postby Shawshank » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:22 pm

oldunclehue wrote:[d our little brother troop lost one at less than a week in. Biggest thing I find is for not being able to cope with being away from family. That's what those two people left for


I feel like it's easy for me to criticize them as I've never actually flocked the nest myself, but damn. All that hard work just to get there and you quit because you're homesick.

I don't know why but that guy in the Depot episode of CourageInRed kind of frustrated me. He applied, got in, and left in the first week because he couldn't handle being away from his family. Six years later, he applies again, gets in, and then leaves in the first week again for the exact same reason. I guess it's something I won't understand until I actually get there, but at the present moment as just a young applicant I'm actually excited at the prospect of living away from family for half a year.

I find it to be a neat opportunity that the RCMP offers, especially for young prospective officers. I'm pretty mature myself but I feel that if I was in a situation where I couldn't handle living alone during training then I'm not mature enough for police work. Especially RCMP police work that could leave you in any corner of this great and vast country. Let's just hope none of this sudden onset homesickness business decides to strike me if I get to Depot.[/quote]

You will be leaving your family for a lot longer than 6 months. No one ever goes back to their home town, and for some that hits them when they get to Depot, realizing if they continue it they will have to move....ten years ago I don't remember ever hearing about anyone leaving due to home sickness, but it likely happened. My troop didn't lose anyone but we were a very strong group together and made sure people stayed when things were rough at home.

And who cares if people say which "division" they are in right now as applicants. You are applying out of that division and dealing with that division, so it doesn't matter what you say! Don't worry what guys on here tell you! If you applied in Ontario you are out of O div!![/quote]
K division.

User avatar
Shawshank
Regular Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: RCMP - Depot

Postby Shawshank » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:34 pm

[quote="oldunclehue"

And who cares if people say which "division" they are in right now as applicants. You are applying out of that division and dealing with that division, so it doesn't matter what you say! Don't worry what guys on here tell you! If you applied in Ontario you are out of O div!![/quote]

Going to try this one again.

Even though I am just an applicant I made the correction because I know when applicants say they are from a division, it bothers some of the regular members on here. The members give great advice or tips, and I don't want them to leave because they feel an applicant is disrespectful. I have seen it before with other services represented on these forums. Like I said to the person I was commenting on, I wasn't trying to be a dick, just give them a heads up.
K division.

alimartin
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:17 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby alimartin » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Depot Web, are you able to tell us the specific dates of the Christmas break at Depot this year?

Thanks

Rialto
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Rialto » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:11 am

What is "Depot episode of CourageInRed" ? Could someone please fill me in? :)

I attended a college an hour north of Calgary, and the majority of the kids that attended that college were from out of province due to it having such specialized programs. It was a 2 1/2 year old program for the one I was in, and about 20% of the kids end up leaving within the first month due to realizing how hard the program actually was... then another 20% people wouldn't return after the summer. The kids that dropped out, it had been their first time away from home.

Attending depot, you are bettering your life. A life with the RCMP. I can totally understand how it could be hard for someone with young kids. That's tough to leave them for that length of time. But their life will benefit from your choice to leave for 6 months <3 :)

File Update: My selection package has been submitted :)
RCMP
SP 2012 closed my file
Reinstated: May 23/16
SP: Aug.15
RMAI: Aug. 23
PEP: Oct 11
BGI: Feb 28
Med: Mar 28
Psy: May 2
DEPOT: July - October. (Sent home due to a knee injury)

oldunclehue
Seasoned Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:27 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP - Depot

Postby oldunclehue » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:59 am

Shawshank wrote:[quote="oldunclehue"

And who cares if people say which "division" they are in right now as applicants. You are applying out of that division and dealing with that division, so it doesn't matter what you say! Don't worry what guys on here tell you! If you applied in Ontario you are out of O div!!


Going to try this one again.

Even though I am just an applicant I made the correction because I know when applicants say they are from a division, it bothers some of the regular members on here. The members give great advice or tips, and I don't want them to leave because they feel an applicant is disrespectful. I have seen it before with other services represented on these forums. Like I said to the person I was commenting on, I wasn't trying to be a dick, just give them a heads up.[/quote]

I wouldn't worry much about what members think when you are in the applicant section as an applicant. The RCMp runs on lettered division, so if you apply from that division and say that your out of that division does it really matter? No, so don't sweat it.

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:03 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby JunkyardDog » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:31 am

Rialto wrote:What is "Depot episode of CourageInRed" ? Could someone please fill me in? :)

I attended a college an hour north of Calgary, and the majority of the kids that attended that college were from out of province due to it having such specialized programs. It was a 2 1/2 year old program for the one I was in, and about 20% of the kids end up leaving within the first month due to realizing how hard the program actually was... then another 20% people wouldn't return after the summer. The kids that dropped out, it had been their first time away from home.

Attending depot, you are bettering your life. A life with the RCMP. I can totally understand how it could be hard for someone with young kids. That's tough to leave them for that length of time. But their life will benefit from your choice to leave for 6 months <3 :)

File Update: My selection package has been submitted :)


Go on YouTube and search for Courage in Red - Depot. It's like a short documentary that follows a cadet through the CTP, pretty interesting.

stribor45
Rookie Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:53 pm
Contact:

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby stribor45 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:53 pm

I am curious as to what happens when members has to move due to relocation do families stay behind or move away as well...
If the relocation is always reality every few years spouse would probably never be able to hold on steady job?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Mich78, redemptionmaster and 11 guests