RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Pete Broccolo

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:39 pm

timmy123456 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:42 am
Quick question about service time with the federal government; say I have 5 years with Correctional Service of Canada (CSC federal agency) will that time in uniform translate into any uniform time or some sort deducted time if I would join the RCMP.

Things like seniority I would think would reset since I was not a RCMP officer but will my wage, annual leave hours, sick leave etc; and pension be able to transfer over or would it be best to use all my time.

Thanks.
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/police-officer-careers

What did your local Recruiting Office tell you?
Are you saying that you are looking to get in, but NOT have to do too long a time in General Duty or another uniformed Unit?
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:25 pm

timmy123456 wrote:
Quick question about service time with the federal government; say I have 5 years with Correctional Service of Canada (CSC federal agency) will that time in uniform translate into any uniform time or some sort deducted time if I would join the RCMP.

Things like seniority I would think would reset since I was not a RCMP officer but will my wage, annual leave hours, sick leave etc; and pension be able to transfer over or would it be best to use all my time.

Thanks.
Seniority isn’t necessarily a thing in the RCMP in the sense it is in CSC. On its own, your time in public service won’t be considered when determining eligibility’s for different jobs within the Force. If you have applicable experience and can demonstrate how you bring that to the job that’s another matter, but just duration of employment doesn’t matter.

RCMP currently doesn’t have a defined sick time benefit, so your accrued sick time with CSC won’t transfer. For your salary and vacation, I have no idea how your benefits compare to the RCMP, you’d be best served by asking a recruiter. Your pensionable federal public service is transferable, however.
Don't call it a comeback...

timmy123456
Rookie Member

Postby timmy123456 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:31 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:39 pm
timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.

Are you saying that you are looking to get in, but NOT have to do too long a time in General Duty or another uniformed Unit?
No answer from recruitment and I just want to know if my time in would translate in being on the same pay scale wage and time in is what helps get time off through out the calendar year (example getting Christmas off is given to the guy with 20 years not 5 years). Just want to know if Federal time is federal time, and I understand that I would be starting from scratch for general duty.

timmy123456
Rookie Member

Postby timmy123456 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:35 am

VanSmack wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:25 pm
timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.
Seniority isn’t necessarily a thing in the RCMP in the sense it is in CSC. On its own, your time in public service won’t be considered when determining eligibility’s for different jobs within the Force. If you have applicable experience and can demonstrate how you bring that to the job that’s another matter, but just duration of employment doesn’t matter.

RCMP currently doesn’t have a defined sick time benefit, so your accrued sick time with CSC won’t transfer. For your salary and vacation, I have no idea how your benefits compare to the RCMP, you’d be best served by asking a recruiter. Your pensionable federal public service is transferable, however.
Alright just wanted to know why they would ask for PRI and military ID on the application process. Since both of those things are federal exclusive identification methods and I was told my military time could be transferred to CSC. That's why I trying to connect the dots.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:21 am

timmy123456 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:31 am
Pete Broccolo wrote:
timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.

No answer from recruitment and I just want to know if my time in would translate in being on the same pay scale wage and time in is what helps get time off through out the calendar year (example getting Christmas off is given to the guy with 20 years not 5 years). Just want to know if Federal time is federal time, and I understand that I would be starting from scratch for general duty.
I will admit that your first paragraph "triggered" me, so I did not read the second. However, the second paragraph was eloquently addressed by VS.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband (8*+), Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

epeac895

Postby epeac895 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 pm

timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.
They also won’t talk to you about pension buy back during recruitment, or depot. I’m recently graduated from depot and still trying to find answers about buying back my military time. From what I was able to find out from ex military facilitators at depot it only effects your pension and annual leave time.
AB Applicant
TROOP 33 2019/2020
K Div RM

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:04 pm

timmy123456 wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:
timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.

Can’t speak for other detachments, but for holidays it’s first come first serve, unless you’re trying to take the whole summer off. Working Christmas is just whoever happens to be scheduled that day. I had my first Christmas off, with less than a year, never worked New Year’s Eve because that’s how my schedule falls.
K division.

oscar_mike
Rookie Member

Postby oscar_mike » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 pm

timmy123456 wrote:
Pete Broccolo wrote:
timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.

Will pm you. CX here and I've done the digging (recruiting referred me to comp and I contacted our pension centre and theirs) so I might have the answers you are looking for.

Melanie1
Seasoned Member

Postby Melanie1 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:41 pm

timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.
Here’s the dealio my friend.
Fellow CX turned RM here.
Yes your time rolls over.
No it doesn’t take away from the 25 years in rcmp uniform though. So basically do the 25 as a RM but retire with a 30 yr pension rate. Make sense?
But you must retire/Quit CSC before it moves. Contact rcmp pension. And csc pension etc. Forms to fill out. It takes a while.
Vacation rolls over well 10 hours that I had left rolled over I believe. But I burned most of mine.
Sick leave is not a thing so do what you think is best with it before you leave CSC.
Use up that Family Related.
Use up that one time use that was once called marriage leave.
Go on the one year LWOP.
You get a letter from your Keeper saying that you have been a CX for whatever amount of time and this was your base salary. Bring that to depot. Or get it later while at depot. And when you have your comp lecture you give it to them and you will potentially get a higher rate of salary. I assume you are top rate cx1 so you will most likely start at $71k or something similar right out of depot.
You will receive leave as you would as a 5 year member or how ever much time you bring over. Once you resign and you pension start has started. Yes it back pays.

Enjoy your new found freedom outside the cement walls my friend.
CX

sig1992

Postby sig1992 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 pm

Happy New Year everyone, wishing you all happiness and good health, stay safe out there:)

timmy123456
Rookie Member

Postby timmy123456 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:17 pm

epeac895 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 pm
timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.
They also won’t talk to you about pension buy back during recruitment, or depot. I’m recently graduated from depot and still trying to find answers about buying back my military time. From what I was able to find out from ex military facilitators at depot it only effects your pension and annual leave time.
From my understanding from some of the guys that transfer a military pension to CSC; the military pension was "Better" than CSC and the guys took a buy-out (invest their money on their own). I Don't know the comparison for military to rcmp is.

timmy123456
Rookie Member

Postby timmy123456 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Melanie1 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:41 pm
timmy123456 wrote:

Thanks.
Here’s the dealio my friend.
Fellow CX turned RM here.
Yes your time rolls over.
No it doesn’t take away from the 25 years in rcmp uniform though. So basically do the 25 as a RM but retire with a 30 yr pension rate. Make sense?
But you must retire/Quit CSC before it moves. Contact rcmp pension. And csc pension etc. Forms to fill out. It takes a while.
Vacation rolls over well 10 hours that I had left rolled over I believe. But I burned most of mine.
Sick leave is not a thing so do what you think is best with it before you leave CSC.
Use up that Family Related.
Use up that one time use that was once called marriage leave.
Go on the one year LWOP.
You get a letter from your Keeper saying that you have been a CX for whatever amount of time and this was your base salary. Bring that to depot. Or get it later while at depot. And when you have your comp lecture you give it to them and you will potentially get a higher rate of salary. I assume you are top rate cx1 so you will most likely start at $71k or something similar right out of depot.
You will receive leave as you would as a 5 year member or how ever much time you bring over. Once you resign and you pension start has started. Yes it back pays.

Enjoy your new found freedom outside the cement walls my friend.
THANK YOU, this is exactly what I was looking for. (Top CX1 is nearly on par with top constable with our new contract)

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:35 pm

(Top CX1 is nearly on par with top constable with our new contract)
The federal government and NPF are actively negotiating a new CBA that will impact our pay and compensation package. The RCMP hasn't has any pay/compensation adjustment in more than 4 years, and their salary currently ranks in the mid 130's of around 137 police agencies in Canada. This new package is anticipated to put them somewhere more in line with the top ten if not higher, so I wouldn't put too much stock in where we're at now, as it will undoubtedly be drastically different by the time you get through your application and graduating from Depot.
Don't call it a comeback...

N_McKenna

Postby N_McKenna » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:41 am

VanSmack wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:35 pm
The federal government and NPF are actively negotiating a new CBA that will impact our pay and compensation package. The RCMP hasn't has any pay/compensation adjustment in more than 4 years, and their salary currently ranks in the mid 130's of around 137 police agencies in Canada. This new package is anticipated to put them somewhere more in line with the top ten if not higher, so I wouldn't put too much stock in where we're at now, as it will undoubtedly be drastically different by the time you get through your application and graduating from Depot.
Hey VS,
Any updates on when negotiations may be finalized?

Stripes
Rookie Member

Postby Stripes » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:00 am

N_McKenna wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:41 am
VanSmack wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:35 pm
Hey VS,
Any updates on when negotiations may be finalized?
It is still a ways away. They are hammering out the first collective agreement from scratch. This will involve negotiating hundreds (if not more) different things. It doesn’t stop at base salary. They have to negotiate leave types, benefits, working arrangements, accommodation issues, discipline processes, some kit and clothing, allowances... the list is very very long. Once the union and Treasury Board come to an agreement of sorts, it would be presented to the membership for a vote. Long road ahead still, and patience is important. If the NPF isn’t thorough and gets blinded by a raise, they may well lose other valuable things. It’s a give and take.
V Division