RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Canadianpatriot
Veteran Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby Canadianpatriot » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:31 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:05 pm
Eagles1992 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:39 pm
Shawshank wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:12 pm

Just me, but I have a basic rule - if you can squat more than I can curl, you can have the rack. Doesn't happen often LOL
Dayum.. You're either Ronnie Coleman or you workout with bunch of people that skip leg day.
I'm the strongest mountie in the west. LOL
I used to train with 500lb benchers, and a beast that was OHP 415, deadlifting 800.

Plus, not enough people push squats.
I just snapped my back reading this Lol...
"The more you know, the less you fear" - Astronaut Cpt. Chris Hadfield.

Glasgow
Rookie Member

Postby Glasgow » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:37 pm

Hello all, I hope everyone is keeping healthy and safe. I am super pumped as I have been informed that I have passed everything and just waiting on being loaded into a troop. Been a long road but it will be worth the wait.

RCMP application reinserted—-21July2019
SP sent——01 August 2019
Sp accepted—09 August 2019
Security — 14 August missing info sent.
Sp— accepted 15 August 2019
Rmqa—27 September 2019
RFI—-03 October 2019-recommended
Field investigation—04 October 2019
Field investigation— recommended 22 Oct 2019
PEP—-12 November 2019
Pep Rec—16 November 2019
Medical—25 October 2019
Psych—05 December 2019
Medical recommended—-31 December 2019
Security clearance—granted 30 November 2020, just waiting on troop date??
Troop—-

argyll
Rookie Member

Postby argyll » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:39 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:18 pm
Canadianpatriot wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:03 pm
Pho-fo or Epeac or anybody currently at Depot or anybody graduated recently or any old school veteran if things hasn't change since, how flexible the instructors are with soft bench marks ? 5km/10km ? I did 5km fast paced this evening and my left calf ended up burning in pain, I didn't stop but I finished at 35 mins which is later than I usually do and what I'm requested to do 30mins or less. but if similar crappy situation happens at Depot does that mean troubles coming my way ?
So when I went to Depot, I was not a runner. I was (and am) a strength athlete, competed nationally for my sport. Out squatted, out deadlift the base. Closest one to me in bench was a full plate behind. I was holding my own for pull ups despite being 90lbs heavier than average in my Troop.

Running, however, was a different issue. My first 5k time was 34-35 minutes in the rain. 8km was around 48minutes. My last 5km time was just under 29minutes, done while snowing and in four inches of snow. May have been able to shave off another two minutes in ideal conditions. When it came to in class running, the facilitators were on my ass to push harder. That's it. I put in the effort every run and had no real issues. You'll be told when and how to run after hours. Follow the program and you will improve and succeed.

And that applies to all of Depot. Put in the effort. Depot itself isn't hard. Its a lot of work, and a lot of stress at times trying to time manage. If you are having difficulties with something, there is help.
And there's the key. It's like I wrote in my Guide to Deport which is still on here but a bit dated now - train at what you are bad at, not what you are good at. I had a former NHL player who came to Depot and didn't play hockey once while he was here. He knew he was poor at classroom work and could be found with his head in the Criminal Code at all hours. He aced his exams and then picked up hockey again once he hit his detachment. Too often you see runners just running and not going to the gym and the muscles types in the gym and not running.

Be like Shawshank.....

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:34 pm

argyll wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:39 pm

And there's the key. It's like I wrote in my Guide to Deport which is still on here but a bit dated now - train at what you are bad at, not what you are good at. I had a former NHL player who came to Depot and didn't play hockey once while he was here. He knew he was poor at classroom work and could be found with his head in the Criminal Code at all hours. He aced his exams and then picked up hockey again once he hit his detachment. Too often you see runners just running and not going to the gym and the muscles types in the gym and not running.

Be like Shawshank.....
I remember that story, if I am not mistaken he said something to the extent of "I'm here for a badge, not to play hockey."
K division.

argyll
Rookie Member

Postby argyll » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:09 am

Shawshank wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:34 pm
argyll wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:39 pm

Be like Shawshank.....
I remember that story, if I am not mistaken he said something to the extent of "I'm here for a badge, not to play hockey."
Exactly that. I had the greatest respect for him. Determined, focused and smart.

Mike07P
Rookie Member

Postby Mike07P » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:58 am

If there is anyone in Troop 7 starting January 18th who wants to connect send me a PM!
ON
App April 8th 2019
RMAQ Rvw: 09/23/2019
RFI 09/30/2019
PEP 12/13/2019
BGI 11/12/2019
Psych MMPI: 01/10/2020
Med 02/17/2020
Med approv: 02/27/2020
SC Waiting as of 02/24/2020
SC granted 06/17/2020
Troop #7 01/18/2020

sig1992

Postby sig1992 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:24 pm

A nice surprise this morning, my SC interview has been scheduled for next week. Waited 22 months For this step and I’m anxiously looking forward to the interview. I have no idea what to expect and I can imagine this is part of the process, if you’ve done the SC interview and have some pointers regarding preparation (without revealing any confidential information) please let feel free to offer your insight or any tips.

Eagles1992

Postby Eagles1992 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:06 pm

sig1992 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:24 pm
A nice surprise this morning, my SC interview has been scheduled for next week. Waited 22 months For this step and I’m anxiously looking forward to the interview. I have no idea what to expect and I can imagine this is part of the process, if you’ve done the SC interview and have some pointers regarding preparation (without revealing any confidential information) please let feel free to offer your insight or any tips.
OMG! I don't have any tips for you but I just to log in to say congrats and good luck. It's been a long time coming! :)

oxlemar

Postby oxlemar » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:11 pm

sig1992 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:24 pm
Patience finally paid off! Good luck with the SC interview. If it's anything like the one I did as a PSE, it'll be a piece of cake for you.

Stay honest and articulate.

sig1992

Postby sig1992 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your support. It’s been a very long road and although it’s not over yet I am excited nonetheless.

AnonymousUser19
Rookie Member

Postby AnonymousUser19 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:35 pm

Hey folks, former applicant here, now a regular member. I used to scan this board daily during my application process. I graduated in 2018. For those going thru this, keep it up. If you end up at Depot, don't give up, you can do it. A lot of it is just a mental game like running when you want to quite for awhile. Don't give in, don't give up, train smart, train hard, it just makes it easier on yourself when there. Run lots to avoid shin splints. In the end, it's not that bad and the time now seems like it went by pretty quick.
It's a fun job. I love it.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:51 pm

AnonymousUser19 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:35 pm
Hey folks, former applicant here, now a regular member. I used to scan this board daily during my application process. I graduated in 2018. For those going thru this, keep it up. If you end up at Depot, don't give up, you can do it. A lot of it is just a mental game like running when you want to quite for awhile. Don't give in, don't give up, train smart, train hard, it just makes it easier on yourself when there. Run lots to avoid shin splints. In the end, it's not that bad and the time now seems like it went by pretty quick.
When will your union be official ?

And, anything worth Mentioning about where the union is fighting hard for something for the members that you didn’t have before ?

NBrewer
Rookie Member

Postby NBrewer » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Good evening everyone,
I currently received a Troop offer one week ago for February. It has been and extremely long road to get at this stage and has taken a tremendous amount of time, work and effort. Which I am very proud to have accomplished so far.
Now for a question that I'm hoping someone has and answer to. My wife has a legally court ordered child custody agreement with her ex husband involving my two step sons. I supplied the agreement to my analyst when it was requested. To my understanding all along they would acknowledge a legally court ordered custody agreement. I live in J Division and I know that our province is considered Bilingual. I was told today that I could not be posted to J Division because I myself am not bilingual and J division doesn't accept any cadets from Depot unless bilingual. Does anyone on here know if that is legitimate?
Thank you for your time
NB Applicant
App: Jan/18
RPAT: Feb/18
SP: Mar/18
RMAQ: Apr/18
PEP: Apr/18
Defferal: May/18
ReInsert: May/19
SP: June/19
Suitability:July/19
RMAQ:Dec 9/19
RFI:Dec 16/19
BGI:Dec 19/19
PEP:Jan 30/20
PEP APR:Feb 19/20
MED:Mar 25/20
PSYCH:Mar 25/20
SC:
TROOP:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:51 pm
AnonymousUser19 wrote:

And, anything worth Mentioning about where the union is fighting hard for something for the members that you didn’t have before ?
If you're talking about our association, it was official last year. They are doing what one would think they are, dealing with grievances, compensation, kit etc.
K division.

Fonthill
Seasoned Member

Postby Fonthill » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:59 pm

Shawshank wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:52 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:51 pm
AnonymousUser19 wrote:

If you're talking about our association, it was official last year. They are doing what one would think they are, dealing with grievances, compensation, kit etc.

Good. Hope pay is also down there

What rank in file is one part of the union.